News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

For comparison, this is what Baryonyx looked like on the official Jurassic World website. It's actually a very accurate reconstruction of a Baryonyx, but instead they decided to go with the monster theme again... What a shame.

Joey

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on December 06, 2017, 09:41:13 AM
For comparison, this is what Baryonyx looked like on the official Jurassic World website. It's actually a very accurate reconstruction of a Baryonyx, but instead they decided to go with the monster theme again... What a shame.

Yes! That's what I thought they'd go with, but I guess not.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: John on December 06, 2017, 03:31:51 AM
Who do all of you think you are really fooling?You know you will ALL be there on opening day! >:D

I know I won't. I've been boycotting Hollywood for a while.

I think the cgi in Jurassic World was pretty bad, way inferior to the original. Why was it so bad, when they probably had a huge budget and better technology?

Rain

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 06, 2017, 01:16:37 PM
Quote from: John on December 06, 2017, 03:31:51 AM
Who do all of you think you are really fooling?You know you will ALL be there on opening day! >:D

I know I won't. I've been boycotting Hollywood for a while.

I think the cgi in Jurassic World was pretty bad, way inferior to the original. Why was it so bad, when they probably had a huge budget and better technology?

The cgi was far better than it was in the original. While there's definitely a few scenes in the original that have better cgi than Jurrasic World, particularly the later scenes with Rexy, most of scenes just look plain bad

None of that really even compares to this

Gwangi

Yeah, but "Jurassic Park" is a movie pushing 30 years old, one of the first to implement CGI, and still looks damn good even today. Will the CGI in "Jurassic World" hold up 30 years from now?
That said, I didn't think the CGI in "Jurassic World" was that bad. No worse than "Pacific Rim" or "Transformers". Some of it looked great, like the Mosasaur. If anything the animatronic Apatosaurus was more jarring.

Jose S.M.

I don't know but I hated the raptors in JW, they looked like they were made of some kind of play doh instead of flesh and bones. I agree some raptors shots were not good in the first one, like the one in Rain's post but they were great in the scene in the lobby. And none of Rexy's shots in JW had the realism they had in JP to me, it looked so cartoon. Maybe that's part of the problem, the creatures designs, not only the cgi.

Rain

Quote from: Gwangi on December 06, 2017, 03:07:57 PM
Yeah, but "Jurassic Park" is a movie pushing 30 years old, one of the first to implement CGI, and still looks damn good even today. Will the CGI in "Jurassic World" hold up 30 years from now?
That said, I didn't think the CGI in "Jurassic World" was that bad. No worse than "Pacific Rim" or "Transformers". Some of it looked great, like the Mosasaur. If anything the animatronic Apatosaurus was more jarring.

Don't get me wrong, I think the CGI is phenomenal for the time, I wouldn't even have realized it doesn't hold up today had I not re-watched it recently. I'm merely correcting TQ's comment about Jurrasic World having inferior CGI..

Rain

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on December 06, 2017, 03:12:12 PM
I don't know but I hated the raptors in JW, they looked like they were made of some kind of play doh instead of flesh and bones. I agree some raptors shots were not good in the first one, like the one in Rain's post but they were great in the scene in the lobby. And none of Rexy's shots in JW had the realism they had in JP to me, it looked so cartoon. Maybe that's part of the problem, the creatures designs, not only the cgi.

It still looked pretty bad then as well. Though I agree that Rexy, and her CGI, looked far better in the original.

Jose S.M.

I'll take that, with less shrink wrapping obviously, over the JW ones, they were my biggest disappointment regarding the look of the movie I don't exactly know why. I just don't like them.

On another topic something that bother me in JW it's that's too bright, like in the scene in the Gyrosphere Valley, the grass looks so bright and the trees foliage, everything is almost radiant. The teaser is not like that and I hope it stays that way.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 06, 2017, 01:16:37 PM
Jurassic World actually had a very small budget, in a lot of ways it's impressive they did as well as they did with the effects.

I don't think the CGI itself was the problem, I think it was all the awful new designs.

I'm hoping I'll be able to force myself not to watch this in theaters, and that'll be a lot easier if it really is anti-cap propaganda like Trevorrow has been saying it will be.

Patrx

The reasons behind JW's underwhelming CGI can't really be captured properly in still images, in my opinion - because, yes, the actual level of detail and overall fidelity has improved as time has gone on. JW's creatures have skin that scatters light realistically, blood vessels, eyes that reflect and refract light appropriately, etc. But, they don't move correctly. Whatever's driving the physics to operate their weight distribution and muscles looks exaggerated, and the keyframed animation looks less true to animal behavior than the movements and reactions Phil Tippett's team created for JP and the other two sequels.
Perhaps even more at fault is the cinematography. With JW, it was possible for the camera to move anywhere at all through the CGI sets and around the animals, and it does. Especially in the last "showdown" between the mutant creature and the old Tyrannosaurus, the camera is literally flying through the air all around the scene, and the result is disconnected, surreal, and unconvincing. In JP's final dinosaur showdown, the camera stays at the level of the humans, and reacts to the dinosaurs the way a human would. It pans around, tilts up, and follows the action from ground-level. As a result, the dinosaurs feel more like something that actually stepped in front of the lens and were recorded, just like the actors.

Adding to that, for all the talk going around about being consistent with the classic JP designs, both the 'raptors and the T. rex look substantially different in JW. I've never quite been able to pinpoint what's so off about the 'raptors, but Rexy has a shorter skull, bigger eyes, and an overall more cartoonish build.

stargatedalek

Thoughts are still mixed. Trailer doesn't give me that much hope for the movie but it's reminded me Chris Pratt might make it watchable all on his own.

Albertosaurus

Quote from: Patrx on December 06, 2017, 03:54:41 PM
The reasons behind JW's underwhelming CGI can't really be captured properly in still images, in my opinion - because, yes, the actual level of detail and overall fidelity has improved as time has gone on. JW's creatures have skin that scatters light realistically, blood vessels, eyes that reflect and refract light appropriately, etc. But, they don't move correctly. Whatever's driving the physics to operate their weight distribution and muscles looks exaggerated, and the keyframed animation looks less true to animal behavior than the movements and reactions Phil Tippett's team created for JP and the other two sequels.
Perhaps even more at fault is the cinematography. With JW, it was possible for the camera to move anywhere at all through the CGI sets and around the animals, and it does. Especially in the last "showdown" between the mutant creature and the old Tyrannosaurus, the camera is literally flying through the air all around the scene, and the result is disconnected, surreal, and unconvincing. In JP's final dinosaur showdown, the camera stays at the level of the humans, and reacts to the dinosaurs the way a human would. It pans around, tilts up, and follows the action from ground-level. As a result, the dinosaurs feel more like something that actually stepped in front of the lens and were recorded, just like the actors.

Adding to that, for all the talk going around about being consistent with the classic JP designs, both the 'raptors and the T. rex look substantially different in JW. I've never quite been able to pinpoint what's so off about the 'raptors, but Rexy has a shorter skull, bigger eyes, and an overall more cartoonish build.

In JW, really heavy animals jump and bounce like little lizards. Just watch the last teaser with the stampede. They all appear from nowhere and move like really light animals in low gravity conditions...it just sucks.

Blade-of-the-Moon

The raptors are a bit different.  the rex i think had a longer skull. 

it bugged me too.  this makes a bit more sense :

I'm actually looking at the new teaser and it seems maybe the one in the shipping container is her younger or a male ?

DinoToyForum

"We're literally blowing up the island". I'm taking this as a metaphor for the franchise. :'(

Simon

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 06, 2017, 04:24:31 PM

In JW, really heavy animals jump and bounce like little lizards. Just watch the last teaser with the stampede. They all appear from nowhere and move like really light animals in low gravity conditions...it just sucks.

That is exactly what made Peter jackson's "Kong Kong" so unwatchable (and Jack Black's miserable attempts at serious acting)

yankeetrex

I mean, i know that dinosaur accuracy is a thing that we need more of, but damn guys, does that Jade you this much from the franchise? As far as the film looks, this looks to be head and shoulders better then JW.  JW was like a Mom and Pop operation this looks to be done with the right hands.  JW had a 150 million dollar budget, which is very low for blockbuster standards. Most huge movies reach 250-300 million now.  The CG and animatronics look to be severely improved and remember these are the first renders shown.  Many things will change, we still have 6 months to polish the CGI.

Nanuqsaurus

MLMjp

Do you guys now when you said: No, I do not need this. But then, you say: Ok, now I want it?
That´s exactly how I feel right now.

When I saw Jurassic World, I said: That was GREAT, I do not need more JP/JW movies, this one is a perfect final part for the series, besides, they will probaly ruin it like they did with JP3....

I do not wanted this secuel, in fact, a month ago I was more excited about the JW evolution game and the new toy line by mattel (That T.rex head that was shown is proof that they will be better than the crapy hasbro ones).

But of course, they show this, they show that and they put on a trailer. An now I am getting exited.

Unlike many members of this forum I have learn to acknowledge the fact that the Jurassic movies are NEVER going to portrait dinosaurs in an accurate way, shape or form, so I dont freaking care about how the dinosaurs look as long as they somewhat resemble the thing they are supposed to be.

Of course my main concern with this movie is the hybrids thing, I am scared that the hybrids might take over this movie. However, this trailer does not give me that vive. It makes me think that the presence of hybrids will be like in the first one, just ONE hybrid and the other creatures "actual dinosaurs". So that gives me hope.

But yet again. Why trailers always make me fall into their traps? ::)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: