News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Makes sense, I remember thinking it was a retro-spinosaurus.    I wonder if it's a model or a stuffed one? ;)

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on December 07, 2017, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 06, 2017, 11:39:32 PM
So clearly this movie is Trevorrow trying to prove he make an "environmental" JP movie better than TLW, which we already know he can't because he's decided to make it a PETARD anti-cap anti-science movie. I'd bet money JW3 is gonna be Owen getting trapped on an island.

You mean, like "The Lost World".  >:D

People, there hasn't been a good "Jurassic Park" movie since 1993. Get used to it. Ya'll are acting like the franchise is being run into the ground when "The Lost World" itself was a garbage pile followed up with an even worse sequel. I prefer "Jurassic World" over those two films easily.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like uhh..., your opinion, man.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 07, 2017, 05:01:34 PM

Early image

Is that a saddle!? I'm only half joking because I wouldn't put it past them.  :))

Iohannes

Quote from: Halichoeres on December 07, 2017, 05:02:59 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 07, 2017, 05:01:34 PM

Was it ever determined what the dino in the back was?

Sure looks like Concavenator to me.

The dinosaur in the background is a Metriacanthosaurus, which was featured in JP as an embryo only (Nedry in the cold storage chamber scene)  ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Still wonder if it''s a taxidermy one..as Lockwood, Hammond's old partner  might be the dark Hammond Crichton envisioned originally.

Patrx

Is nobody else wondering why it has a sock monkey in its jaws?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on December 07, 2017, 06:00:21 PM
Is nobody else wondering why it has a sock monkey in its jaws?

That's one of the new characters. They decided to introduce a character more believable than those in JW1. :P

WarrenJB

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 05, 2017, 10:45:44 PMIt's not Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park put in some effort.

As the original merch tagline went: "If it's not Jurassic Park, it's extinct". :))

Sir, you win the internet.

Quote from: John on December 06, 2017, 03:31:51 AM
Who do all of you think you are really fooling?You know you will ALL be there on opening day! >:D

In the last few years I've found that avoiding duff movies of franchises I care(d) about is surprisingly easy.

I can't take all the credit. Bean-counting studio execs helped me along the way.

Quote from: FlaffyRaptors on December 06, 2017, 08:32:46 AM
In JW, Dr Wu hinted, or rather stated that many of the dinosaurs (and others) we see in the film were deliberately made this way. Yes it's a lame and lazy excuse for those ugly grey abominations but it was an explanation nonetheless.

Certainly a lame and lazy excuse, yes. I've seen it way too often to justify regressive thinking in JW, and while I haven't seen the film *coff*HeyJohn*coff* I recognise the general gist of the quote from Crichton's original novel. I don't think it's very ingenious or justifiable to use a concern that cloned dinosaurs might be 'too advanced' for a fictional zoogoing public, to handwave away retrograde and - frankly - wilfully ignorant dinosaur designs served up to the real-life moviegoing public.

Quote from: yankeetrex on December 06, 2017, 05:01:21 PM
I mean, i know that dinosaur accuracy is a thing that we need more of, but damn guys, does that Jade you this much from the franchise?

For me, the franchise suffered a fatal blow in 1997. ;D

Quote from: Reptilia on December 06, 2017, 08:49:01 PM
Since I'm free from this kind of snobbery

So many possible responses. So much sitting on hands to avoid typing them all out.

Quote from: PhilSauria on December 06, 2017, 10:01:48 PM
I like the inclusion of more species, hopefully no more hybrids - aren't there enough awesome actual Dinosaurs to put in these things?!

It's Jurassic Park, not National Geographic. ;)

Much agreement about... not the overuse, but the abuse of CGI in modern films, motion-sickness-inducing flying camera angles, incomprehensible spinning action, unnatural animation etc. Makes me want to go on a rant about the Transformers series and old-school Disney animators* among other things, but I might sit on that for a while.

* No school like the old school

Gwangi

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on December 07, 2017, 05:13:19 PM
Quote from: Gwangi on December 07, 2017, 03:30:56 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on December 06, 2017, 11:39:32 PM
So clearly this movie is Trevorrow trying to prove he make an "environmental" JP movie better than TLW, which we already know he can't because he's decided to make it a PETARD anti-cap anti-science movie. I'd bet money JW3 is gonna be Owen getting trapped on an island.

You mean, like "The Lost World".  >:D

People, there hasn't been a good "Jurassic Park" movie since 1993. Get used to it. Ya'll are acting like the franchise is being run into the ground when "The Lost World" itself was a garbage pile followed up with an even worse sequel. I prefer "Jurassic World" over those two films easily.

Yeah, well, you know, that's just like uhh..., your opinion, man.

Yeah, a lot of opinions here. Can I have one too?  O:-)

Loon

I agree with Gwangi, The Lost World, despite my nostalgia for it, is not good...at all. If you want a good movie with commentary on animal treatment, watch Okja on Netflix. I would dig a movie like that, honestly, but y'know, with dinosaurs.

Gwangi

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 07, 2017, 03:56:28 PM
For however bad the pacing and character writing was in TLW it never explicitly attacked zoos, let alone pet owners, as Trevorrow has done in interviews. He lumped "the act" of zoos and of keeping pets to slavery and to actual animal cruelty.

You're putting the cart before the horse here, no one has seen "Jurassic World 2". We don't know how heavy handed its messages are or what'll be edited out in the end. I haven't been following the press on this film that closely or seen enough of it to get angry about it yet. I'm pretty sure that the ethics of keeping animals captive was pretty well displayed in TLW. The people who were collecting the animals for display were the bad guys...enough said.

QuoteI feel like people have a right to disagree with that assessment. For however mediocre the sequels were they never strayed into genuinely offending content (sexism before, anti-cap propaganda now), they maintained a consistent visual style of cinematography and of creature designs, and even the infamous JP3 fight never actively went out of its way to insult people who enjoyed the other movies as Jurassic World does.

Anyone can find something to be offended by in anything if you look hard enough. I wasn't offended by "Jurassic World", nether was my wife who shares my opinion of "Jurassic World" and where in ranks in the franchise.

And are you seriously getting offended by Jurassic World's knock on JP3? The Spinosaurus skeleton scene? It was a wink and a nod to those who felt the T. rex was unjustly killed off in JP3. It was fun and I appreciated it. I'm left speechless that this is even being brought up as an issue.

QuoteAnd as for it being "just better as a movie" I will vehemently disagree there. The pacing was so terrible that it led to the movie having sexist overtones when (supposedly) it was meant to be some gibberish about reconnecting with nature, half of the main characters didn't need to be there and could have been written out of the script without impacting the plot at all, the returning designs from the original films meeting with the redesigns and new designs was jarring at best, and the cinematography was the same boring, overused aerial "super-shots" audiences should expect from a direct to DVD version of Transformers 16 starring Dwayne Johnson's stunt double.
[/quote]

If I'm going to sit down and try to enjoy a movie I'll choose "Jurassic World" over "The Lost World". Overtones, pacing, and characters be damned. I find it more enjoyable. Just about anything is more enjoyable than Nick Van Owen's hippy BS or Harding's  hypocrisy. All of the "good guys" in TLW just drive me bonkers. You want to talk about offensive...

Flaffy

Quote from: Iohannes on December 07, 2017, 05:30:32 PM
The dinosaur in the background is a Metriacanthosaurus, which was featured in JP as an embryo only (Nedry in the cold storage chamber scene)  ;)
I don't recall Metricanthosaurus having a distinct dorsal spine/hump  ;)

DinoToyForum

Full trailer landed. So much for your Carnotaurus. ::)  :'(

Reptilia

Where we can see it?

DinoToyForum

Loon

Looks like some sort of allosaur mayhaps?

Reptilia

That scene is another homage to the first movie, Rexy saves the good guys again! The Carnotaurus itself looks pretty cool, and this time we'll see lots of dinosaurs. IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Reptilia on December 08, 2017, 02:07:35 AM
That scene is another homage to the first movie, Rexy saves the good guys again! The Carnotaurus itself looks pretty cool, and this time we'll see lots of dinosaurs. IT'S GONNA BE AWESOME.

Now where have I heard that before?  :))

Hook, line, and sinker.  :P

suspsy

So . . . Claire and Owen, who by all rights should be rotting away in prison for causing multiple deaths, numerous injuries, and billions of dollars in property damage, return to the island to rescue dinosaurs. There's a stampede. The T. rex rescues them from certain death. And no doubt even more blatant copying of scenes from previous scenes, all under the guise of "homages."

And the dinosaurs are as boring and ugly as ever. Lame.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

DinoToyForum

The Carnotaurus reminds me of this:

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: