News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM

Started by dragon53, August 10, 2016, 06:41:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neosodon

Quote from: Arioch on December 11, 2017, 09:29:43 PM
Maybe then another dinosaur franchise can eventually take over, something that's time travel related (kinda like the show Terra Nova, but... good?), and not constrained by these structural and narrative issues that's been dragging the JP franchise down ever since the first one. And then there would be no excuse to not portray the dinosaurs as actual damn dinosaurs anymore.
Something kind of along the lines of prehistoric park? Except with a bigger budget and a little less cheesy.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

WarrenJB

Quote from: Rain on December 11, 2017, 07:48:11 PM
To me, the original was more about the characters and their development than it was about the dinosaurs which is why I think the franchise went downhill after the original.

Agreed. It's like too many big sci-fi/action blockbusters these days - throw some CG at the screen to try to cover up the lack of plot, logic, characterisation... Sometimes I wonder if Hollywood knows how to write a film anymore.

But...

QuoteAnd no, I'm not saying Jurassic World was perfect on any of those accounts, just better than the previous 2.

Just my opinion.

They said something similar about Justice League compared to Batman V Superman. In both cases, it wasn't an especially high bar to rise above. ;)

John

Quote from: Simon on December 11, 2017, 05:27:22 PM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on December 11, 2017, 04:39:53 PM
Quote from: John on December 11, 2017, 04:24:54 PM
Quote from: suspsy on December 11, 2017, 01:43:45 PM
Quote from: John on December 11, 2017, 04:44:39 AM
Quote from: suspsy on December 11, 2017, 02:39:34 AM
I seriously doubt that the CollectA Dimorphodon was in any way influenced by Jurassic World. If CollectA was that easy to persuade, they'd have released a new Velociraptor and at least two other dromaeosaurs by now.

Which would admittedly have been cool.
Not in it's design no,but in the particular species it seems obvious it was a factor.It being a British pterosaur also played a big part. :)

Sorry, John, but it doesn't seem obvious at all. Dimorphodon has long been a fairly well-known pterosaur, and as you said, it's a British species, so naturally Anthony Beeson would be inclined towards it. I don't believe JW had any influence in the mater at all.

QuoteAnd CollectA does not seem to be so adverse to famous species anymore,so you can never count out a Velociraptor showing up in the line at some point.After all,you can't get more classic than Brontosaurus,the one dinosaur that is even more famous than T. rex. :)

I don't think they ever were adverse to famous species in the first place. I think it was more a question of them choosing to include more obscure taxa in their lines as a means of standing out, which has certainly worked well. But there's still been plenty of famous species in every one of their lines.

Also, Brontosaurus is so NOT more famous than T. rex, dude. Indeed, it's debatable whether or not it's even in the top three. ;)
Where have you been?Did you miss The Flintstones?Or pop culture in general?Brontosaurus is a household name!It was the very image of what people think of when they think of what a dinosaur is.Why do you think such a big deal was made when the name was put back in scientific use in 2015?It certainly wasn't because it "wasn't even in the top 3 most famous dinosaurs"...

Brontosaurus is popular, but it's nowhere near Tyrannosaurus. I'd say the top three most popular dinosaurs is:
1. Tyrannosaurus
2. Triceratops
3. Either Stegosaurus or Velociraptor

Gentlemen, gentlemen - before this discussion gets out of hand, let's remember a couple of things -  ;)

John - You are seeing a generational gap at work in this discussion.  No need to be surprised at it, its just the way life works. I believe that both Suspsy and Nanuqsaurus are quite a bit younger than you or I are, so I'll enlighten them:

Suspsy, Nanuqsaurus - Back in the old days (in my case, 1960s and 70s, when I first became fascinated with dinosaurs), "Brontosaurus" was basically a synonym for "dinosaur".  Tyrannosaurus was probably in second place, along with perhaps Stegosaurus and Triceratops. 

TRex has become the "sexy" new favorite dinosaur, while the term "Brontosaurus" is (almost) obsolete, because outside of being taken out of circulation (until recently), it has become synonymous today with the old view of dinosaurs (you know, tail draggers and lake dwellers...)  but if you came of age in the "Flintstone" cartoon generation or thereabouts, "Brontosaurus" would have been the most commonly invoked dinosaur name you heard as you grew up...
The generation gap does explain it.
I remember seeing Velociraptor go from being obscure to anyone but those who were into dinosaurs to being a household name as familiar as Stegosaurus or Triceratops after the summer of 1993 because of the Jurassic Park movie.Tyrannosaurus was always popular,but it really became a superstar after that movie to the point of it actually becoming the "hero" of the last movie!I actually felt sorry for it when it was about to be dispatched by that hybrid in the end of the last movie right before the Velociraptor showed back up to re-ender the fight...and Tyrannosaurus was never even one of my favorites!
Nothing in that scene even remotely comes close to realistic animal behavior,but it was entertaining to watch anyway! :)

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Flaffy

Apparently images of the Indoraptor have been leaked and are currently floating around the internet, so fellow members who do not wish to be spoilt please beware. And others who might discuss the appearance or even the actual image of the Indoraptor please keep it under the "spoiler" tag.

Reptilia

I can't find it, can you provide a link without embedding any image?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Reptilia on December 24, 2017, 11:20:54 AM
I can't find it, can you provide a link without embedding any image?

Better, embed, and spoiler tag it.

ChrisLikesDinos

I had seen the Bary toy, maquette, and concept art before the trailer, so I was veryyy excited

and then the trailer hit... and it looked like a damn kaiju - shame the design changed to be more monstrous and robust

Reptilia

I have a feeling that Blue will die in this movie, possibly in the attempt to save Owen from the Indoraptor's attack.

Joey

Quote from: Reptilia on December 24, 2017, 07:46:28 PM
I have a feeling that Blue will die in this movie, possibly in the attempt to save Owen from the Indoraptor's attack.
Or maybe be injured, but survive for the next movie?

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm betting with Blue she makes it through film this film and at the end of the next she runs off to start her own family.

Reptilia

Did I hear right that a new trailer will be shown during the Super Bowl on sunday night?

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Reptilia on February 03, 2018, 11:13:07 PM
Did I hear right that a new trailer will be shown during the Super Bowl on sunday night?

Yeah you're right.

Reptilia

Can't wait! I hope we'll discover more of the plot, since all of the previous trailer is taken from the first 28 minutes.

Takama

Just saw the superbowl advertisment and we get more shots of the indoraptor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NooW_RbfdWI

Reptilia

Blue fights the Indoraptor to protect Owen, I said it.

I might be wrong but I get the impression that the hybrid is not on Nublar, it must have been breed in the Lockwood manor.

Cool stuff.

Edit: they probably brought the Indoraptor to the Lockwood manor, from the island.

MLMjp

Whatched on TV. Already whatched like 5 times on youtube. I will comment all my thoughs tomorrow. But for now I can say: They did it, now I am hyped for this.

Reptilia

Only watched two times, the scene of Blue and the Indoraptor in that room is weird, it feels like "Jurassic Park" meets "Harry Potter". They said the story will be much darker than all previous movies, for now it really seems darker, visually speaking, and I like it.

DinoToyForum

The toe tappin' ::) I sense another 'Jurassic Park call backs' thread will be justified when this comes out. Even better, how about a call back predictions thread. :))

Jose S.M.

There were some cool shots in the trailer, but I'm still not completely sold, I think the trailers are going to undersell the movie.

Reptilia

I know that most people already considered the Indominus a freak, but for me it still retained some believable traits. With this Indoraptor however I have the feeling that we will see something much more suitable for the concept of movie monster. It'll bring JP haters to a whole new level of madness.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: