News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: tanystropheus on October 16, 2016, 07:27:15 AM
Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 16, 2016, 06:21:00 AM
The gems of Safari 2017 lineup in my opinion are Einiosaurus, Coelophysis, Deinocheirus Tyrannosaurus, and Psittacosaurus. I know I will be getting most of them, not sure about Diplodocus and Giganotosaurus.

This is getting a bit subjective as I would argue that the Diplo and the T-rex are the true gems of the 2017 lineup.
And many are under the impression that the Velociraptor is the gem.
Einio, Coelophysis and Psittaco are also racking praise by DTFs.
Some love the Giga paint job. Others hate it.
One thing is certain. The 2017 WS lineup rocks!

The only reason I'm iffy on the Diplodocus is I oun the Carnegie one and I like that one (but really want the Battat one). And Giganotosaurus is the base, I feel a figure that large don't need one and that if it has to come with one shouldn't be the same color as the animal. I will just have to wait for the reviews on them before I decide to get them or not.  But hey I agree the 2017 lineup rocks.

Dilopho

Quote from: Daspletotyrannus on October 16, 2016, 07:38:34 AM
The only reason I'm iffy on the Diplodocus is I oun the Carnegie one and I like that one (but really want the Battat one). And Giganotosaurus is the base, I feel a figure that large don't need one and that if it has to come with one shouldn't be the same color as the animal. I will just have to wait for the reviews on them before I decide to get them or not.  But hey I agree the 2017 lineup rocks.
I would say, go for it! It's one of those models that really stand out. I want the Carnegie one, but this new figure looks beautiful. And as for the giant southern lizard itself, I feel the base is not really that bad. I used to be hesitant about bases but once you own some figures with bases, like the Collecta delux rex and the Carnegie Pachy, they really kind of.....gah, how to put this in words...

....stop....being....noticeable? Something like that. Plus, bases are really easy to paint. You don't have to worry about messing them up because it's really hard to do that unless they have, like, a bajillion details.  ;)

Sim

Regarding the Diplodocus, apparently spines have been found from around the tip of the tail (the whiplash) of a diplodocid species.  The spines on the Wild Safari Diplodocus appear to stop before this point, which consequently looks strange to me.  I like the colour scheme of the Wild Safari Diplodocus though.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on October 16, 2016, 04:57:37 PM
Regarding the Diplodocus, apparently spines have been found from around the tip of the tail (the whiplash) of a diplodocid species.  The spines on the Wild Safari Diplodocus appear to stop before this point, which consequently looks strange to me.  I like the colour scheme of the Wild Safari Diplodocus though.

It should be noted that the spines were found *only* around the whiplash section of the tail on a juvenile specimen, and then larger spines were found scattered around the rest of the bonebed with scattered adult bones. So it's entirely possible that they were covered in spines like hedgehogs or that the spines only covered the tail as a thagomizer. The standard iguana like reconstruction is just one of hundreds of possible configurations.

I kind of prefer the thagomizer idea. We know the whiplash was used at least partly for defense, and a series of more flexible and easily replaced keratin spines makes more sense on a whip than bony spikes would.

(And all these specimens were later classified as Kaatedocus, not Diplodocus).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

suspsy

But the base isn't the same colour as the animal. And it doesn't matter how big it is; it's the pose that necessitates the base.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Sim

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 16, 2016, 05:35:45 PM
Quote from: Sim on October 16, 2016, 04:57:37 PM

It should be noted that the spines were found *only* around the whiplash section of the tail on a juvenile specimen, and then larger spines were found scattered around the rest of the bonebed with scattered adult bones. So it's entirely possible that they were covered in spines like hedgehogs or that the spines only covered the tail as a thagomizer. The standard iguana like reconstruction is just one of hundreds of possible configurations.

I kind of prefer the thagomizer idea. We know the whiplash was used at least partly for defense, and a series of more flexible and easily replaced keratin spines makes more sense on a whip than bony spikes would.

(And all these specimens were later classified as Kaatedocus, not Diplodocus).

Given the defensive function of the whiplash, if the spines are present on it I can't imagine them being there for any function other than defence.  I don't think one diplodocid species being known to have spines necessarily means all diplodocid species would have had them.  It makes me think though, if a diplodocid is restored with the spines, is it plausible for it to not have them on the whiplash?

stargatedalek

I seem to recall reading somewhere that the whip only showed signs of stress in certain individuals and that it may have been a form of display or intraspecific combat, I need to find that again.

*edit*
A friend found me a link:
https://www.sciencenews.org/article/whips-and-dinosaur-tails

Sound feels even more plausible, and it lends a very obvious purpose to the odd spines of diplodocids (and why they were seemingly so replaceable).

Daspletotyrannus

Quote from: suspsy on October 16, 2016, 06:08:15 PM

But the base isn't the same colour as the animal. And it doesn't matter how big it is; it's the pose that necessitates the base.

The promo pictures show a white base. Sure the base has a black wash to it, but it is too close to the  dinosaur color.  The Giganotosaurus is leaning towards the buy it side as I do find the figure looking great.  I just feel the base should be tan, grey, or green if there are plants on it.

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 16, 2016, 08:39:58 PM
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the whip only showed signs of stress in certain individuals and that it may have been a form of display or intraspecific combat, I need to find that again.

*edit*

Sound feels even more plausible, and it lends a very obvious purpose to the odd spines of diplodocids (and why they were seemingly so replaceable).

Interesting.  Although I'm not seeing how that makes the spines relate to a very obvious purpose in sound?  In any case, in this blog post Mark Witton mentions the diplodocid spines were also found on the tail base, and I can't imagine them relating to sound on the tail base.  In the blog post, Mark Witton also explains the shape of the spines, and that skin impressions of these diplodocids show they were covered in rough scales - both make me think they had a function in defence or offence (not sound).

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on October 17, 2016, 05:16:23 AM

*edit*

Whips typically have a rough surface or tassle to increase the sound that needs to be periodically replaced.

Interesting.  Although I'm not seeing how that makes the spines relate to a very obvious purpose in sound?  In any case, in this blog post Mark Witton mentions the diplodocid spines were also found on the tail base, and I can't imagine them relating to sound on the tail base.  In the blog post, Mark Witton also explains the shape of the spines, and that skin impressions of these diplodocids show they were covered in rough scales - both make me think they had a function in defence or offence (not sound).

Sim

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 17, 2016, 05:23:06 AM
Whips typically have a rough surface or tassle to increase the sound that needs to be periodically replaced.

That's interesting.  I can see now how the spines and scales of diplodocids could have a sound function.  I get the impression they probably had a function in physical defence or offence as well though, since they are also present on the tail base, and it seems such a tail whip would make a good defensive weapon.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on October 17, 2016, 05:16:23 AM

*edit*

I think Mark may have misspoke there, the original paper has no mention of the tail base but discusses what sounds like the same think towards the base of the *whiplash* section of the tail, not the base of the whole tail.

Sim

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 17, 2016, 03:39:20 PM
I think Mark may have misspoke there, the original paper has no mention of the tail base but discusses what sounds like the same think towards the base of the *whiplash* section of the tail, not the base of the whole tail.

It seems it wasn't a typo at least, since in the blog post a bit after he mentions spines from the tail base, he says this about the spines, "The largest, estimated at 18 cm tall when complete, seem to stem from the proximal end of the tail, but those of the distal end are smaller."

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on October 17, 2016, 04:22:32 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on October 17, 2016, 03:39:20 PM

It seems it wasn't a typo at least, since in the blog post a bit after he mentions spines from the tail base, he says this about the spines, "The largest, estimated at 18 cm tall when complete, seem to stem from the proximal end of the tail, but those of the distal end are smaller."

I have to double check the paper one day but I'm pretty sure there was only a single articulated set. "Seems to stem from" implies they are just found in that vicinity, not necessarily in articulation.

DinoToyForum

For anyone interested, I uploaded the paper in question about Diplodocus spines to my other website: http://plesiosauria.com/pdf/Czerkas_sauropodspines.pdf

Everything_Dinosaur

Lots of news, pictures and comments about what Safari Ltd intends to bring out in 2017, but what about retirements.

This is what Everything Dinosaur has been told: Which models are being retired by Safari Ltd in 2017?

We hope this information proves useful so that model collectors can acquire these soon to become quite rare models.

suspsy

Those seem like pretty random choices for retirement. Why not retire the 1996 T. rex?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on October 19, 2016, 02:25:25 PM
Lots of news, pictures and comments about what Safari Ltd intends to bring out in 2017, but what about retirements.

This is what Everything Dinosaur has been told: Which models are being retired by Safari Ltd in 2017?

We hope this information proves useful so that model collectors can acquire these soon to become quite rare models.

I guess I'm going to buy a load of the tree ferns next time I visit Michael's and whatever agathis conifers they have left.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

sauroid

i am so happy and grateful to have the Gastornis, prehistoric sharks and prehistoric sea life toobs in my collection.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Derek.McManus

Thanks for the heads up, I quite fancy a terror bird!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: