News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

laticauda

Quote from: CarnegieCollector on November 02, 2016, 11:09:20 PM
I should buy the Gastornis before he goes extinct  :-\
Good call.  Other than the leg color, I love that figure.  I just can't find a good spot to display it.

SBell

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on November 02, 2016, 08:57:19 PM
So most of these guys should be released in the coming week or so, correct?

None have arrived at teh Safari docks yet--probably end of month.

CMIPalaeo

Quote from: SBell on November 03, 2016, 01:24:04 AM
Quote from: CMIPalaeo on November 02, 2016, 08:57:19 PM
So most of these guys should be released in the coming week or so, correct?

None have arrived at teh Safari docks yet--probably end of month.

*sigh*

Oh, well I guess that would justify buying myself a birthday present... although hopefully it'll be soon enough that I can ship them to my college address while I'm still here!
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

SpartanSquat

When do you think the 2017 catalog will arrive?

Appalachiosaurus

Some scale calculations for those picky buyers:

Parasaurolophus ≈1:48
Microraptor ≈1:9
Coelophysis ≈1:16
Quetzalcoatlus ≈1:70 (≈1:30 for Q. sp.)
Kronosaurus ≈1:30
Tylosaurus ≈1:58
Psittacosaurus ≈1:15
Velociraptor ≈1:10
Giganotosaurus ≈1:34
Tyrannosaurus ≈1:40
Einiosaurus ≈1:28
Deinocheirus ≈1:55
Diplodocus ≈1:60

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on November 04, 2016, 11:02:37 PM

Thanks! Did you account for the tail loop on the Diplodocus though?

amargasaurus cazaui

The psittacosaurus is 1/13 at the smallest and 1/12 at the largest depending on the final length of the actual toy.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 05, 2016, 03:40:32 AM
Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on November 04, 2016, 11:02:37 PM

Since these are all known from skeletons with skulls, it would be best to calculate scale based on skull length rather than total length to help account for posture.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 05, 2016, 10:35:19 AM

Since these are all known from skeletons with skulls, it would be best to calculate scale based on skull length rather than total length to help account for posture.

How did you get the model's skull length?

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 05, 2016, 01:59:01 PM
Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 05, 2016, 10:35:19 AM

How did you get the model's skull length?

I didn't, we'll have to wait for them to come out and use a ruler ;)
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 05, 2016, 10:35:19 AMSince these are all known from skeletons with skulls, it would be best to calculate scale based on skull length rather than total length to help account for posture.

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on November 05, 2016, 03:40:32 AMThanks! Did you account for the tail loop on the Diplodocus though?

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on November 05, 2016, 04:28:22 AM
The psittacosaurus is 1/13 at the smallest and 1/12 at the largest depending on the final length of the actual toy.

That is why it has a little ≈

Tyto_Theropod

Been meaning the comment for a while, but anyway this is an amazing lineup and I'd say it's definitely looking like Safari will be the star manufacturer of 2017! Currently I have my eye on the Microraptor, the Quetz, the Tylosaurus, the Velociraptor, the Tyrannosaurus, the Einiosaurus, the Deinocheirus and the Diplodocus.

The only one that disappoints me this year is the Parasaurolophus, although I can't lay my finger on what exactly. For me there's just something off about it. The Coelophysis also looks like it might have a bit of a shrinkwrapped head, but that might just be me.

I'll probably hold off on any final decisions until I see other members' pictures of the models in person though, as I've found that quite often the real thing looks a little different from the stock photo.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on November 06, 2016, 03:07:30 PM
Been meaning the comment for a while, but anyway this is an amazing lineup and I'd say it's definitely looking like Safari will be the star manufacturer of 2017! Currently I have my eye on the Microraptor, the Quetz, the Tylosaurus, the Velociraptor, the Tyrannosaurus, the Einiosaurus, the Deinocheirus and the Diplodocus.

The only one that disappoints me this year is the <i>Parasaurolophus</i>, although I can't lay my finger on what exactly. For me there's just something off about it. The Coelophysis also looks like it might have a bit of a shrinkwrapped head, but that might just be me.

I'll probably hold off on any final decisions until I see other members' pictures of the models in person though, as I've found that quite often the real thing looks a little different from the stock photo.

I have already ordered all models months in advance have already made payment by bank transfer. Regarding Safari if all goes well I have it solved.

For me all models of Safari I like a greater or lesser extent. That is why I have commissioned. That Schleich forget me this year I will not buy their products do not convince me.

Concavenator

The Parasaurolophus amd Tylosaurus are already available on Dan's site,and the rest is available for preorder.

CMIPalaeo

Any idea when these beauties will be hitting Fauna Figures or Everything Dinosaur? I got a birthday in a couple of weeks and I'm looking to treat myself... preferably to that gorgeous T. rex!
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

Halichoeres

Dejankins has the first few in stock (Velociraptor, Parasaurolophus, Tylosaurus)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

CMIPalaeo

Concavenator

Quote from: Halichoeres on November 18, 2016, 03:01:00 AM
Dejankins has the first few in stock (Velociraptor, Parasaurolophus, Tylosaurus)
Someone really has to get these and post some pics for us heheh  ;)
Specially the Velociraptor.

SBell

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on November 18, 2016, 02:13:14 AM
Any idea when these beauties will be hitting Fauna Figures or Everything Dinosaur? I got a birthday in a couple of weeks and I'm looking to treat myself... preferably to that gorgeous T. rex!

I'll (Fauna Figures) probably have them in early Decemeber--whenever the entire lot becomes available.

And I don't do preorders, too much can go wrong (RIP Link & Pin)

CMIPalaeo

Quote from: SBell on November 18, 2016, 02:14:53 PM

I'll (Fauna Figures) probably have them in early Decemeber--whenever the entire lot becomes available.

And I don't do preorders, too much can go wrong (RIP Link & Pin)

Excellent news!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: