News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on January 15, 2017, 03:35:35 AM
This Parasaurolophus definitely is a nice sculpt, but yeah the colour scheme could have been way better. And I don't get the point of those brownish/reddish eyes, like I didn't get the point of the electric green eyes on last year's Iguanodon.

In terms of quality control it seems that with the Velociraptor they did no better than the feathered T-Rex. What a shame.

I'm not a fan of yellow (or banana yellow), but I very much like how it looks on this Para.

Regarding the electric green eyes of the Iguano, it looks quite striking and odd, but strangely satisfying (almost like seeing exotic color contact lenses on humans or seeing a person with darker complexion and naturally bold eye colors). The eyes look a bit scary on the Para but I think I will adjust; it has a bovine quality to it. I'm a fan of the Safari's signature gold eyes... I've always said that the company that brings back taxidermy eyes on dinosaur models wins the dinosaur wars.

I can't comment on the Velociraptor as I don't have a personal copy, but my T-rex came out very well. It's the crowning piece (of all theropods) in my collection.

deanm

As pointed out previously - all the figures are hand painted so one should always expect some variation - as it is the nature of the production model.

Different painters, wear & tear on brushes, different batches of the same paint (even drying out on the paint palette between applications/figures/etc), even same painter beginning and end of day, day of week, and so many more factors. They all contribute to make each figure unique and subtle differences only enhance that.

I actually love that fact - it makes picking a figure to buy so much more an interesting and personal experience.   

Sim

I like that there's some variety in eye colour among the prehistoric Wild Safari figures.  I feel like there's usually too much repetition in eye colour in most other prehistoric animal toy lines.

Daspletodave

Regarding the Parasaurolophus, it's hopelessly inferior to the Battat version which is currently widely available. The Battat is better in pose and proportions - for example, the slender forearms and massive hindlimbs match up better with the actual skeletal remains.
The skin texture on the 2004 Favorite Para was also very well done, and I give it better marks than this Safari one.
The other Safari releases are very good, although the Tylosaurus and Diplodocus are both smaller and not as good as the earlier Carnegie versions.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on January 15, 2017, 05:19:26 PM
I like that there's some variety in eye colour among the prehistoric Wild Safari figures.  I feel like there's usually too much repetition in eye colour in most other prehistoric animal toy lines.

I agree. There was an awful lot of yellow in particular.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Patrx

I have the Battat and Safari Paras side-by-side, and I honestly can't select a preference between them. The Battat is very elegant, but hopelessly '90s. The accuracy holds up fairly well except for the hands, and aesthetically it's just nice. The new Safari seems to be embracing a more modern style, moving away from shrink-wrapping to create a bulkier, more believable animal. Plus, the skin detail is great and matches up with what we know about hadrosaur skin. It also has more accurate hands.

As for paint errors or color schemes, I tend not to worry about that too much if the sculpt is good. They can always be repainted  :)

BlueKrono

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on January 14, 2017, 09:33:06 PM
I´m actually okay with the color scheme, but the head just looks absolutely weird to me. I can´t even put my finger on it, maybe the placement of the eyes? I´m sure it´s completely accurate, maybe I´m just more used to the shrink-wrapped style of the past.

I think it's the placement of the eyes, myself.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: BlueKrono on January 15, 2017, 06:40:11 PM
Quote from: SuperiorSpider on January 14, 2017, 09:33:06 PM
I´m actually okay with the color scheme, but the head just looks absolutely weird to me. I can´t even put my finger on it, maybe the placement of the eyes? I´m sure it´s completely accurate, maybe I´m just more used to the shrink-wrapped style of the past.

I think it's the placement of the eyes, myself.

I also thought it was the eye placement, but looking at other reconstructions of Parasaurolophus, the eyes should be somewhere around that place. So I can't really tell what makes this one's head so weird. I think different/more colors on the head would make it much better.

amargasaurus cazaui

Copper has asked for some pictures of the Diplodocus, and someone else asked for the other one so here you are if still needed.

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Reptilia

If we have to compare paras I think that Collecta's deluxe is fairly superior, both in colour scheme and overall proportions. Regarding the Velociraptor, my gripe wasn't actually just about paint app, which is absolutely bad, but also on the detail of the head. Look at how the teeth are all fused together, and look at that line on the upper jaw, where I think the plastic have been cut. It's disappointing how these figures are produced, pretty much the reason why I don't buy Safaris.

Patrx

I suppose seam lines and flash seem like a small price to pay for an accurate sculpt, particularly for poor Velociraptor, which has never been done even approximately well until this year. Comparing the new Safari with, say, last year's attempt by Papo, the Safari is unquestionably the winner because of the structure of the wings, the density of the feathers, and the accurate proportions. Of course, that's my perspective, some people might be willing to cope with inaccuracy.

Interestingly, the Velociraptor appears to be in two pieces, which is, as far as I know, a first for a Safari piece. The left wing looks to have been molded separately.

Reptilia

They are two different interpretations, based on different references, but Safari's is undoubtedly the more accurate at the moment. So sculpt-wise I agree, Safari's win. Unfortunately then there's the production, and Safari still has a lot to do to match other companies in terms of quality control and how the final product is delivered to the public. And that's not a minor thing in my opinion, we are buying a product at the end of the day.

Patrx

Quote from: Reptilia on January 15, 2017, 09:29:21 PM
...Safari still has a lot to do to match other companies in terms of quality control and how the final product is delivered to the public.

I can agree with that - it'd be nice to have everything  :D

Reptilia

In Velociraptor's case they could have simply had it sculpted with closed mouth (with lips, so no visible teeth) and probably the result would have looked less disappointing. But I guess that if you make a raptor you have to give it a fierce and menacing open mouth.

If Safari keeps the level of quality control like that I think they must have enough of a market for their product, and for me is all money saved!  >:D

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Daspletodave on January 15, 2017, 05:36:10 PM
Regarding the Parasaurolophus, it's hopelessly inferior to the Battat version which is currently widely available. The Battat is better in pose and proportions - for example, the slender forearms and massive hindlimbs match up better with the actual skeletal remains.
The skin texture on the 2004 Favorite Para was also very well done, and I give it better marks than this Safari one.
The other Safari releases are very good, although the Tylosaurus and Diplodocus are both smaller and not as good as the earlier Carnegie versions.

I don't yet have the Safari Para, but based on what I've seen, I have to agree with you. The Battat Para still holds up to this day. Easily my favorite of the Terra dinos currently available. Not just the sculpt and the nice pose, but the coloring on it is my favorite I've seen a company do on this species.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Victoria B on January 15, 2017, 10:41:30 PM
Quote from: Daspletodave on January 15, 2017, 05:36:10 PM

I don't yet have the Safari Para, but based on what I've seen, I have to agree with you. The Battat Para still holds up to this day. Easily my favorite of the Terra dinos currently available. Not just the sculpt and the nice pose, but the coloring on it is my favorite I've seen a company do on this species.

The parasaurolophus of Battat is quite good but its colors are very bright. On the other hand the diplodocus, in a certain way it is much more voluminous and beautiful the one of Carnegie Safari although also it is necessary to specify that I do not know which one is more scientific.
Moreover completely agree also with the tylosaurus is a large figure but the former was larger and although the two are very well finished, the diplodocus said and tylosaurus kills them their size.
As for the parasaurolophus of Collecta is based like hadrosaurido in this case lambeosaurino in the famous hadrosaurus "Dakota", is a preciousness, is one of the best works of hadrosauridos of Collecta, although also it is necessary to specify that its war colors as we call it In the forum to the figures of Collecta (at least in this case) is what annoys to the figure.
Although in any case the parasaurolophus of Safari is by far the best that has done both Carnegie Safari and the Safari company itself.

Halichoeres

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on January 15, 2017, 08:02:03 PM
Copper has asked for some pictures of the Diplodocus, and someone else asked for the other one so here you are if still needed.

Wow, the Deinocheirus is tiny!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on January 15, 2017, 10:35:10 PM
In Velociraptor's case they could have simply had it sculpted with closed mouth (with lips, so no visible teeth) and probably the result would have looked less disappointing. But I guess that if you make a raptor you have to give it a fierce and menacing open mouth.

If Safari keeps the level of quality control like that I think they must have enough of a market for their product, and for me is all money saved!  >:D

While I agree with your assessment regarding a closed jaw Velociraptor, I think you have the minority view here.

It is a clear that Safari vastly boosted their production value this year with many pieces approaching (and in some cases, superseding) that of Carnegie. Other models have an impeccable paint job (e.g. Diplo, and Krono) considering the mass friendly price point. Of course, many of these models also look better in hand, as the camera lenses, in and of itself (and angle shots), produce some image warping.

This coming from the forum's poster Papo fanboy.

Flaffy

I would've loved a closed mouth velociraptor.
Too many figures with gaping mouths.

Victoria's Cantina

I just love the coloration of the Diplodocus. Absolutely love it. I wish the paint application was a little more natural with a better gradient, but the colors themselves rock.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: