News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Quote from: Takama on September 17, 2016, 06:08:10 AM
Giganotosaurus Skull is not as elongated as most people assume. its a little shorter.

Anyways I am surprised that they made a Giganotosaurus which is very similar to the Cacaradontosaurus in the eyes of the public. And i heard that Safari does not like to do species that look too much like something they already had. Either they are lifting that notion, or there is a double standard on Theropods.   IF they make a Corythosaurus, will they consider to make a Hypacrosaurus too? Or lets take the oppsite.  Since they made Suchomimus, will they make Baryonx too?.   
Yeah,I didn't see Giganotosaurus coming either for the same reason!I think they are lifting that notion for all of them,which is a good thing since this means that anything can show up in the line now.  ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tanystropheus

I'm actually most excited about the Quetz. I hope its not a mini.

AcroSauroTaurus

I think its time I shared my opinions since I forgot to in the post where I showed the video...
Feathered Velociraptor: Safari desperately needed to update their Velociraptor, and I'm so glad they did so!
Diplodocus: Looks great, I love the dorsal spines and the coloration.
Giganotosaurus: My favorite so far! I love the sculpt and the paint job, I'm gonna get 5 of these guys for a pack.

And I do believe that they're remaking the species that were in the Carnegie line. The Tyrannosaurus, Velociraptor, Diplodocus, Giganotosaurus, and that means the pterosaur has to be Quetzalcoatlus, and the mosasaur has to be Tylosaurus. And the rest of the to be revealed figures are more species from the Carnegie line. Especially because of this:
Quote from: John on September 17, 2016, 02:36:35 AM
I know what was meant by the Jaws line of needing a bigger boat earlier in this thread meant:
It's name begins with a "K"...

I know what that means... >:D
I am the Dinosaur King!

Dilopho

John

Quote from: Dilopho on September 17, 2016, 11:02:36 AM
Kronosaurus?
Maybe... ;D But not officially...just me narrowing down possibilities based on hints from this thread and the thread involving a poll of potential Wild Safari prehistoric marine life options.I also know that there is at least one ceratopsian coming too,but it's not as easy to pin that one down.I could see it end up being either Triceratops or Styracosaurus.So I'm just going to go with my own wishful thinking...Styracosaurus. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Dilopho

A new trike would be nice. I don't feel this one captures the energy of one. Accuracy? Yes! But...
We're talking about a gigantic horned creature, big enough to rival elephants in size! And this figure is just...too small?

If they made a new Triceratops I would like to see a ;sort of combination between these two figures. A nice realism like the first one, but a size and energy of the second one!

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Dilopho on September 17, 2016, 11:02:36 AM
Kronosaurus?

YES PLEASE. Now that the tubular monstrosity* is gone, no one is currently producing a Kronosaurus figure. Definitely a void there.

*I actually kinda like the Carnegie Kronosaurus
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

suspsy

Quote from: Dilopho on September 17, 2016, 12:16:07 PM

A new trike would be nice. I don't feel this one captures the energy of one. Accuracy? Yes! But...
We're talking about a gigantic horned creature, big enough to rival elephants in size! And this figure is just...too small?

No, I wouldn't say it's too small at all. On the contrary, it's a perfectly good size for display or for playing with. My issue with that toy is that, while it's reasonably well-sculpted, it utterly pales in comparison to the incredible ceratopsians Doug's been churning out since 2012. It also looks too JPish for my tastes.

Honestly, the best Triceratops figure I've ever seen, the one that best captures the animal's essence, is the Battat version, despite the fact that it's more than two decades old now. And with its improved colour scheme, the reissue is virtually perfect. Tragically, it has yet to be released. :(

I'll say this again too: I'd be every bit as thrilled if Doug made a Torosaurus instead of a new Triceratops. Either way, the feathered T. rex would have his perfect opponent.

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Unfortunately this year, Safari will not make avant-garde and dark figures.

CMIPalaeo

I'm still not sure about Safari 're-releasing' the same dinosaurs in the Carnegie line. While the Carnegie Collection was in existence, Carnegie and Wild Safari had quite a bit of overlap:
Apatosaurus, Brachiosaurus, Stegosaurus, Allosaurus, Dilophosaurus, Acrocanthosaurus, Parasaurolophus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Velociraptor, Spinosaurus, Pteranodon, Mosasaurus, Elasmosaurus, Smilodon, woolly mammoth, and perhaps a few others that I'm forgetting. Even if some of those figures weren't on the market at the exact same times it seems to me they haven't previously been too concerned with releasing duplicate figures of what was in another line. One could argue that these are really only the popular genera that are being duplicated, but Diplodocus and Giganotosaurus are hardly obscure, and as for the Tyrannosaurus and Velociraptor, well, Safari has gone through several phases of remakes in the past, so that might be all this is.

I've kind of imagined Safari's replacement for the Carnegie Collection to be another museum partnership (didn't they mention something to that extent in the recent past?) but I suppose it's entirely possible they'll be starting their own line of larger, scale figures. It's just too soon to tell from the images we've seen, there's no real way to judge scale for certain.
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

Keaton64

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on September 17, 2016, 03:34:39 PM
Even if some of those figures weren't on the market at the exact same times it seems to me they haven't previously been too concerned with releasing duplicate figures of what was in another line.

One need look no further than their Monterey bay aquarium line vs their regular sea life figures to see how true this is.  All the MBA figures now have "XL" put at the end of the figure descriptions on their website.

SBell

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on September 17, 2016, 02:13:16 AM
Have the names for the critters in the video been revealed anywhere yet? Everyone I have seen is calling them Giganotosaurus, Diplodocus, and Velociraptor, but they might not be.

It's pretty likely that's what they are rather than, say, Tyrannotitan, Galeamopus, and Acheroraptor, but still. No official word yet?

Yes, but only in secret to retailers, etc.

So I'm not confirmin' nuthin'.

Other than...yeah, they aren't going to be as obscure as everyone is guessing. It's a business, not a fantasy Jurassic Park league  ;)

empire3569

Quote from: SBell on September 17, 2016, 04:11:59 PM
Have the names for the critters in the video been revealed anywhere yet? Everyone I have seen is calling them Giganotosaurus, Diplodocus, and Velociraptor, but they might not be.

It's pretty likely that's what they are rather than, say, Tyrannotitan, Galeamopus, and Acheroraptor, but still. No official word yet?

Other than...yeah, they aren't going to be as obscure as everyone is guessing. It's a business, not a fantasy Jurassic Park league  ;)

Can you confirm whether these new models (giga, diplo) are made from the same hard plastic that the previous Safari dinos are made of?

SBell

Quote from: empire3569 on September 17, 2016, 05:21:09 PM
Quote from: SBell on September 17, 2016, 04:11:59 PM

Can you confirm whether these new models (giga, diplo) are made from the same hard plastic that the previous Safari dinos are made of?

There is nothing indicating that they have changed anything about production with any of the models.

japfeif

Quote from: Dobber on September 17, 2016, 01:31:35 AM
Quote from: japfeif on September 17, 2016, 12:31:26 AM
Quote from: John on September 16, 2016, 05:47:45 PM
Still 7 more to be revealed?And with the goal of regaining what was lost with the end of the Carnegie line?
I'm thinking that some likely candidates will be maybe some of these:
Allosaurus
Maiasaura
Styracosaurus
Carnotaurus
Spinosaurus
Dimetrodon
or
Parasaurolophus perhaps? :)

I know I'd certainly like to see:
- a Centrosaurus (or Monoclonius...NO one seems to want to make these guys!)

-Shantungosaurus (why no one makes this one is also surprising, as spectacularly huge as it is)

-a better Styracosaurus (now here is one that most major companies make but always seem to make it look horrible....Papo's is a pretty cool one (hate the protruding tongue though), but CollectA, Schleich, WS...all of these folks seems to insist on weird, awkward poses and crummy colors...or is it just me? All the CollectA ceratopsions looks great except the Styrac!)

-maybe some of the less well-known ankylosaurs, like Saichania (well, Schleich tried on this one...), Talarurus, or Tarchia.

- Or maybe an actual Brontosaurus, now that it's been re-instated (although I imagine most folks would think that it's an Apatosaurus and the company is still calling it by it's obsolete name!)!

Apatosaurus is still valid. They are separate species. A. Louisae, B. Excelsus, and B. Ajax.

Chris

Yes I know that....I guess what I meant was having a Bronto in a line as WELL as an Apato........
I thought ajax was still a species of Apatosaurus as of now...did it get reassigned to Brontosaurus? I guess I'm not as up on that as I should be! haha!

And someone mentioned Einiosaurus...totally forgot about him...now THAT would be an awesome figure for sure

Dobber

Quote from: japfeif on September 17, 2016, 09:19:53 PM
Quote from: Dobber on September 17, 2016, 01:31:35 AM
Quote from: japfeif on September 17, 2016, 12:31:26 AM
Quote from: John on September 16, 2016, 05:47:45 PM
Still 7 more to be revealed?And with the goal of regaining what was lost with the end of the Carnegie line?
I'm thinking that some likely candidates will be maybe some of these:
Allosaurus
Maiasaura
Styracosaurus
Carnotaurus
Spinosaurus
Dimetrodon
or
Parasaurolophus perhaps? :)

I know I'd certainly like to see:
- a Centrosaurus (or Monoclonius...NO one seems to want to make these guys!)

-Shantungosaurus (why no one makes this one is also surprising, as spectacularly huge as it is)

-a better Styracosaurus (now here is one that most major companies make but always seem to make it look horrible....Papo's is a pretty cool one (hate the protruding tongue though), but CollectA, Schleich, WS...all of these folks seems to insist on weird, awkward poses and crummy colors...or is it just me? All the CollectA ceratopsions looks great except the Styrac!)

-maybe some of the less well-known ankylosaurs, like Saichania (well, Schleich tried on this one...), Talarurus, or Tarchia.

- Or maybe an actual Brontosaurus, now that it's been re-instated (although I imagine most folks would think that it's an Apatosaurus and the company is still calling it by it's obsolete name!)!

Apatosaurus is still valid. They are separate species. A. Louisae, B. Excelsus, and B. Ajax.

Chris

Yes I know that....I guess what I meant was having a Bronto in a line as WELL as an Apato........
I thought ajax was still a species of Apatosaurus as of now...did it get reassigned to Brontosaurus? I guess I'm not as up on that as I should be! haha!

And someone mentioned Einiosaurus...totally forgot about him...now THAT would be an awesome figure for sure

Ohh, rereading your post I see what you were saying, sorry for the misunderstanding. Also you are right it is A. Ajax as well.  O:-)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on September 17, 2016, 02:36:41 PM
Quote from: Dilopho on September 17, 2016, 12:16:07 PM

No, I wouldn't say it's too small at all. On the contrary, it's a perfectly good size for display or for playing with. My issue with that toy is that, while it's reasonably well-sculpted, it utterly pales in comparison to the incredible ceratopsians Doug's been churning out since 2012. It also looks too JPish for my tastes.

Honestly, the best Triceratops figure I've ever seen, the one that best captures the animal's essence, is the Battat version, despite the fact that it's more than two decades old now. And with its improved colour scheme, the reissue is virtually perfect. Tragically, it has yet to be released. :(

I'll say this again too: I'd be every bit as thrilled if Doug made a Torosaurus instead of a new Triceratops. Either way, the feathered T. rex would have his perfect opponent.

The WS Triceratops is beautiful for a number of reasons, but it still needs to be updated.  The picture that you've posted is a reminder of how impressive WS's color palette could be...the subtleties and the gradations...

Halichoeres

This is going to be a good year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

amargasaurus cazaui

Not really a bit pick but for the record Doug sculpted a Torosaurus already.  In fact it is perhaps one of the better ceratopsian models made for general distribution.  Anyone remember the Sue and Friends models done for the Chicago Field Museum? I remember because it is part of the story how I originally met Doug several years back.......coupled with his Battat Stegosaurus.   
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

suspsy

It is indeed a nice Torosaurus sculpt, although not big enough to go with Doug's current ones from Wild Safari.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: