News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rathalosaurus

Ok, I LOVE the new theropods!! I am still unsure about the Sauropod...I have to see full pictures. But the Giganotosaurus is a must for me!
Dude, I very like Dinos and I cannot understand those who don't.

Shonisaurus

Honestly I like Safari figures and Carnegie.

What I do not like to be with so many colors, I prefer as coloration to the ancient figures that used to be more credible in terms of colors, but on the other hand is it true what is said in the forums of 13 new dinosaur figures?

I'm afraid that will be reissues of the Carnegie brand that I have. Moreover, in the style of sauropod giganotosaurus and I do not see as already commented on the artistic imprint of Doug Watson, will assume that those are the figures that has not already said as he.

On the other hand I think some people are very unfair with Safari as to the current figures. From my point of view are the most successful palaeontologically talking and Safari is fortunately not been lowered by making figures with movable limbs and jaws, which for me is a great thing.

To be frank I prefer the toy figures of dinosaurs and theropods mostly made of one piece, have much more merit and are closer in my case the style of collecting prehistoric animals I seek.

terrorchicken

so what are the chances that at least one of those 13 figures is a mammal? :( Even if just a re-release of the arsinotherium or andrewsarchus(though Id prefer something new.)

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

OMG I LEAVE TOWN FOR A FEW DAYS AND LOOK WHAT HAPPENS!!!!! I'm so excited for the new Safari dinos! This might be the first year I end up buying every single new release! We'll see what the rest of the 13 look like... assuming nobody's pulling our leg with that number!

Quote from: terrorchicken on September 16, 2016, 09:29:28 PM
so what are the chances that at least one of those 13 figures is a mammal? :( Even if just a re-release of the arsinotherium or andrewsarchus(though Id prefer something new.)

Based on several quotes from Doug, my impression is that Safari is just going to give us the rest of the re-releases this year. When and if we get new prehistoric mammals (at least from Doug), they probably won't start showing up before next year.

japfeif

Quote from: Dilopho on September 15, 2016, 05:52:35 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 15, 2016, 05:35:21 PM
I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.
At least Collecta keeps coming out with more!

And more..and more....and more.....Lol!!!
(except stubbornly still refusing to do a Centrosaurus (or Monoclonius, if they are considered separate animals this week!!)

suspsy

Quote from: japfeif on September 16, 2016, 11:56:47 PM
I have to say, as exciting as these toys are, I am disappointed that there is no ceratopsian.

(except stubbornly still refusing to do a Centrosaurus (or Monoclonius, if they are considered separate animals this week!!)

You never know. There could well be a Centrosaurus in store for next year. It's not like CollectA's ever declared that they don't want to do one.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

japfeif

Quote from: John on September 16, 2016, 05:47:45 PM
Still 7 more to be revealed?And with the goal of regaining what was lost with the end of the Carnegie line?
I'm thinking that some likely candidates will be maybe some of these:
Allosaurus
Maiasaura
Styracosaurus
Carnotaurus
Spinosaurus
Dimetrodon
or
Parasaurolophus perhaps? :)

I know I'd certainly like to see:
- a Centrosaurus (or Monoclonius...NO one seems to want to make these guys!)

-Shantungosaurus (why no one makes this one is also surprising, as spectacularly huge as it is)

-a better Styracosaurus (now here is one that most major companies make but always seem to make it look horrible....Papo's is a pretty cool one (hate the protruding tongue though), but CollectA, Schleich, WS...all of these folks seems to insist on weird, awkward poses and crummy colors...or is it just me? All the CollectA ceratopsions looks great except the Styrac!)

-maybe some of the less well-known ankylosaurs, like Saichania (well, Schleich tried on this one...), Talarurus, or Tarchia.

- Or maybe an actual Brontosaurus, now that it's been re-instated (although I imagine most folks would think that it's an Apatosaurus and the company is still calling it by it's obsolete name!)!

Dobber

Quote from: japfeif on September 17, 2016, 12:31:26 AM
Quote from: John on September 16, 2016, 05:47:45 PM
Still 7 more to be revealed?And with the goal of regaining what was lost with the end of the Carnegie line?
I'm thinking that some likely candidates will be maybe some of these:
Allosaurus
Maiasaura
Styracosaurus
Carnotaurus
Spinosaurus
Dimetrodon
or
Parasaurolophus perhaps? :)

-Shantungosaurus (why no one makes this one is also surprising, as spectacularly huge as it is)

-a better Styracosaurus (now here is one that most major companies make but always seem to make it look horrible....Papo's is a pretty cool one (hate the protruding tongue though), but CollectA, Schleich, WS...all of these folks seems to insist on weird, awkward poses and crummy colors...or is it just me? All the CollectA ceratopsions looks great except the Styrac!)

-maybe some of the less well-known ankylosaurs, like Saichania (well, Schleich tried on this one...), Talarurus, or Tarchia.

- Or maybe an actual Brontosaurus, now that it's been re-instated (although I imagine most folks would think that it's an Apatosaurus and the company is still calling it by it's obsolete name!)!

Apatosaurus is still valid. They are separate species. A. Louisae, B. Excelsus, and B. Ajax.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm dying for a nice spiky centrosaurine myself! We have stellar Pachyrhinosaurus models from several companies, as well as Diabloceratops and Nasutoceratops, which at least makes for token representation of the group on my shelf, but I'd really like to have a nice classic, traditionally big-nose-horned specimen. I'm not even picky at this point: I'd be equally happy with Centrosaurus, Einiosaurus, or a Styracosaurus remake (though of course I'd love all three!!!).

CMIPalaeo

Have the names for the critters in the video been revealed anywhere yet? Everyone I have seen is calling them Giganotosaurus, Diplodocus, and Velociraptor, but they might not be.

It's pretty likely that's what they are rather than, say, Tyrannotitan, Galeamopus, and Acheroraptor, but still. No official word yet?
Once a man is tired of dinosaurs, he is tired of life; for there is in a dinosaur all that life can afford.

Takama

Tyrannotitina is too fragmentary for them to consider. plus the SKull on that model looks like that of Giganotosaurus.

You have a point about Galeamopus. since its known from a skull while Diplodocus is now a skulless Genus.   The Raptor is defenetly Velociraptor due to the kink in the upper jaw

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on September 17, 2016, 12:05:51 AM
Quote from: japfeif on September 16, 2016, 11:56:47 PM

You never know. There could well be a Centrosaurus in store for next year. It's not like CollectA's ever declared that they don't want to do one.

CollectA ceratopsians are pretty depressing. They are so close to being awesome, but then they screw up the skull proportions, elongate the beaks and top them all of with tribal war paint on the frills (by the nth ceratopsian it really gets kinda old). Please just make a decent ceratopsian, CollectA. Stop trying to reinvent the wheel!

I have to go to Safari and Papo for my ceratopsian fix. PNSO has the potential to deliver ceratopsians as evidenced by their minis. Favorite is pretty much useless as they will never release their exotic ceratopsians outside their designated localities. REBOR never stepped outside of their fridge magnet framework with respect to ceratopsians. Sigh.

John

I know what was meant by the Jaws line of needing a bigger boat earlier in this thread meant:
It's name begins with a "K"...
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Flaffy

Quote from: japfeif on September 17, 2016, 12:31:26 AM

A wonderful Shantungosaurus has been made by PNSO.

stargatedalek

Quote from: CMIPalaeo on September 17, 2016, 02:13:16 AM
Have the names for the critters in the video been revealed anywhere yet? Everyone I have seen is calling them Giganotosaurus, Diplodocus, and Velociraptor, but they might not be.

It's pretty likely that's what they are rather than, say, Tyrannotitan, Galeamopus, and Acheroraptor, but still. No official word yet?
Exactly this. That "Giganotosaurus" in particular could be one of a large number of theropods.

MLMjp

Quote from: Dobber on September 17, 2016, 01:31:35 AM

Apatosaurus is still valid. They are separate species. A. Louisae, B. Excelsus, and B. Ajax.

Chris
Last time I recal ajax still was part of the Apatosaurus genus ::) The type species specifically.

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 17, 2016, 03:49:41 AM
Quote from: CMIPalaeo on September 17, 2016, 02:13:16 AM

Exactly this. That "Giganotosaurus" in particular could be one of a large number of theropods.
Sorry,but the skulls of the carcharodontosaurids are not as interchangeable as everyone here seems to think.There are differences in the rugosities on the snouts and above the eyes.No one believed anyone who identified last year's Carcharodontosaurus either as I recall,despite it being so obvious at first glance,but it turned out to be exactly that.Likewise,the head of this new model is sculpted too precisely to be anything other than Giganotosaurus carolinii. ;)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

stargatedalek

And what of the species with no full skull known?

John

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 17, 2016, 05:48:40 AM
And what of the species with no full skull known?
Safari Ltd. doesn't do species that fragmentary.That's more like what CollectA would do usually in building certain themes like European theropods (represented by Metriacanthosaurus parkeri and Torvosaurus gurneyi both of which just so happen to be poorly known). :)
Besides,the goal here by Safari now seems to be filling in the gaps left by the loss of the Carnegie Collection with what were the best selling ones of that line of which all 6 of what we have seen so far have been.

Takama

Giganotosaurus Skull is not as elongated as most people assume. its a little shorter.

Anyways I am surprised that they made a Giganotosaurus which is very similar to the Cacaradontosaurus in the eyes of the public. And i heard that Safari does not like to do species that look too much like something they already had. Either they are lifting that notion, or there is a double standard on Theropods.   IF they make a Corythosaurus, will they consider to make a Hypacrosaurus too? Or lets take the oppsite.  Since they made Suchomimus, will they make Baryonx too?.     

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: