News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari: New for 2017

Started by Patrx, August 22, 2016, 08:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

WS actually made a line-up that appeals to everyone, in some regard.
As a fan of ceratopsians, pterosaurs  and marine reptiles, I am truly pleased.

stargatedalek

Quote from: DinoLord on September 21, 2016, 01:46:54 AMIt's great to see another major company start using bases for theropods. I'm sure the sculptors are glad to not have to play physicist in addition to artist.
I hope that it's removable like Favorite Kinto/Colorata bases. I personally don't mind if a figure needs a base to stand, so long as it can be removed for handling. CollectA's bases could work perfectly and they'd still be off-putting for me because they try to be permanently attached dioramas but the bases lack the complexity to follow through on that. At the end of the day these are still toys, not statues, and if they don't function as toys they won't sell as well with the primary audience.

Also, I've never seen a company attempt it but what about inserting metal pieces into the feet to weigh them down? Surely it wouldn't cost more than an entire extra chunk of plastic. Papo uses this method to keep legs from bending but not for weight distribution (as they run through the entire leg).

Quote from: Gwangi on September 21, 2016, 02:07:30 AM
I have no complaints about the Velociraptor, I'm happy with just having a properly feathered dromaeosaur, FINALLY! It really seems like some of you really take these things for granted but I suppose I don't want to get into that debate.
Complaints are different from taking something for granted, and if I may further complicate things into the realm of semantics, I would say that lamenting something isn't necessarily complaining in itself. And (though I can't speak for others) I think lament best describes how I feel about the species choice of Velociraptor.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on September 21, 2016, 02:29:37 AM
Quote from: DinoLord on September 21, 2016, 01:46:54 AMIt's great to see another major company start using bases for theropods. I'm sure the sculptors are glad to not have to play physicist in addition to artist.
I hope that it's removable like Favorite Kinto/Colorata bases. I personally don't mind if a figure needs a base to stand, so long as it can be removed for handling. CollectA's bases could work perfectly and they'd still be off-putting for me because they try to be permanently attached dioramas but the bases lack the complexity to follow through on that. At the end of the day these are still toys, not statues, and if they don't function as toys they won't sell as well with the primary audience.

Also, I've never seen a company attempt it but what about inserting metal pieces into the feet to weigh them down? Surely it wouldn't cost more than an entire extra chunk of plastic. Papo uses this method to keep legs from bending but not for weight distribution (as they run through the entire leg).

Totally agree. Kinto/Colorata bases are minimalist and elegant. CollectA bases are basically silly putty.
I would hope that the WS bases are at least on par with the figure in terms of overall quality. It doesn't have to be REBOR or kit quality, but some level of presentation would be desirable.

Kovu

Personally, I'm not a fan of bases. That being said, if they are going to happen, I'd prefer they be just clear plastic. Kind of like this:

sauroid

WOW! Wild Safari and CollectA are producing the best western brand produced accurate prehistoric figures, with Papo being not too far behind, while new eastern brands (PNSO) are giving us more variety and other east asian brands still producing excellent products. what else could you ask for? (tsk tsk Schleich you are an embarrassment)

btw, do you have an inkling that the T. rex would be on a base too?

and who do you think is the "new" WS sculptor?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 20, 2016, 08:19:45 PM
This is so great! My main problem with Safari dinosaurs has always been that there weren't more of them :)

CollectA was on pace to outnumber Safari in my collection just because of the sheer volume of their output. I am very happy to see that Safari will keep them at bay. Doug, I see your handiwork in some of these, like the Deinocheirus, Coelophysis, and Psittacosaurus, or do I mistake myself? The silhouettes have got me pretty stoked. The only ones we haven't seen are the Tyrannosaurus and Microraptor now, right?

Even though the cat is out of the bag until Safari Ltd intentionally identifies them I still can't say anything.

spinosaurus1

Quote from: sauroid on September 21, 2016, 03:19:01 AM
WOW! Wild Safari and CollectA are producing the best western brand produced accurate prehistoric figures, with Papo being not too far behind, while new eastern brands (PNSO) are giving us more variety and other east asian brands still producing excellent products. what else could you ask for? (tsk tsk Schleich you are an embarrassment)

from the looks of the pose in the bnner, it seems to be a tail sitter.

SBell

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on September 21, 2016, 03:24:15 AM

I'm just going to say. It's not. It is, in fact, amazing.

empire3569

Quote from: SBell on September 21, 2016, 04:06:32 AM

Is it on a base like the Giga?

spinosaurus1

is it posed in a way similarly to their carcharodontosurus with the tail not touching the ground despite the upright stance?

John

If it is on a base,then it's a removable one.They show the foot of the Tyrannosaurus at the end of the preview video.If the tyrannosaur has a removable base,then maybe so does the Giganotosaurus.But whether the bases are permanent or not,I would be happy either way.
And I don't think there are any new sculptors this time.It looks to me like the sculptor of the Diplodocus and Giganotosaurus were by the same sculptor who had done the Edmontosaurus regalis from the 2011 releases.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Kovu on September 21, 2016, 02:50:34 AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of bases. That being said, if they are going to happen, I'd prefer they be just clear plastic. Kind of like this:

I agree, I like simple bases. I don't like bases that distract from the sculpt of the animal.

Kovu

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 21, 2016, 05:34:45 AM
I agree, I like simple bases. I don't like bases that distract from the sculpt of the animal.

Exactly! I understand the practicality of having a base a lot of time, but they're often either poorly done and drab or over the top distracting.
Either way, I don't think a base is going to keep me from getting the Giga - I may just start playing around with an exacto knife and some old clear breyer bases.

Can't wait for full photos of them! Outside of the pterosaurs and marine beasts, I plan on getting all of this year's Safari. Nothing against those btw, I just don't collect non-dinosaurs as of now. Who knows though, this year might change that! Safari has always tied with Battat for my favorite line and it's great to see such a prolific output this year!

AcroSauroTaurus

Maybe they found the balancing "sweet spot" and its able to stand on its two legs with the tail in the air. (like I did for my Acrocanthosaurus sculpt for my figure line.)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Nanuqsaurus

Really excited for the Einiosaurus! Very unique Ceratopsian that you don't see often in toy form. The pose looks really great too, can't wait for this one! :))

By the way, here's a list of the sizes of the new figures in centimeters, for people like me who are unfamiliar with inches. :)

Microraptor: 17,78 cm x 13,34 cm

Tyrannosaurus: 30,48 cm x 13,34 cm

Velociraptor: 20.95 cm x 6.99 cm

Psitaccosaurus: 13,34 cm x 4.45 cm

Tylosaurus: 23.50 cm x 3.81 cm

Diplodocus: 45,72 cm x 11.43 cm

Einiosaurus: 15.87 cm x 6.35 cm

Kronosaurus: 34.29 cm x 19,69 cm

Quetzalcoatlus: 18,42 cm x 22,23 cm

Deinocheirus: 19,69 cm x 7,62 cm

Parasaurolophus: 19,69 cm x 5,72 cm

Giganotosaurus: 36,83 cm x 10,16 cm

Coelophysis: 18,42 cm x 6.35 cm

suspsy

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on September 21, 2016, 06:32:50 AM
Really excited for the Einiosaurus! Very unique Ceratopsian that you don't see often in toy form. The pose looks really great too, can't wait for this one! :))

By the way, here's a list of the sizes of the new figures in centimeters, for people like me who are unfamiliar with inches. :)

Microraptor: 17,78 cm x 13,34 cm

Tyrannosaurus: 30,48 cm x 13,34 cm

Velociraptor: 20.95 cm x 6.99 cm

Psitaccosaurus: 13,34 cm x 4.45 cm

Tylosaurus: 23.50 cm x 3.81 cm

Diplodocus: 45,72 cm x 11.43 cm

Einiosaurus: 15.87 cm x 6.35 cm

Kronosaurus: 34.29 cm x 19,69 cm

Quetzalcoatlus: 18,42 cm x 22,23 cm

Deinocheirus: 19,69 cm x 7,62 cm

Parasaurolophus: 19,69 cm x 5,72 cm

Giganotosaurus: 36,83 cm x 10,16 cm

Coelophysis: 18,42 cm x 6.35 cm

Ah good, thank you for posting the real lengths! ;)
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: suspsy on September 21, 2016, 11:36:00 AM
Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on September 21, 2016, 06:32:50 AM

Ah good, thank you for posting the real lengths! ;)

Yeah, inches, feet, miles make no sense to me! :P I used Google to convert them, so there might be some mistakes. If you see something that might be off, please just say! :)

I don't think the Psitaccosaurus silhouette has been posted here yet, but it is on Safari's site, so here it is:

SBell

Quote from: empire3569 on September 21, 2016, 04:15:37 AM

Is it on a base like the Giga?

Sorry, I'm not going to say--need to leave something for Safari to reveal  ;) I can't imagine it will be much longer.

sauroid

i might turn out to be right after all. :D
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Concavenator

It just looks like Safari has done a breathtaking job for 2017,I never imagined they would put out that many figures and with such accuracy.If now CollectA does the same,I will be a very poor guy next year  :'(  ;D ;D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: