News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO 2016 releases

Started by Halichoeres, September 09, 2016, 03:22:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MLMjp

This is fantastic ;D ;D
Cant wait to see that Triceratops! Is about time we get a new and updated one, and looking at the T.rex you can say it will be a fantastic figure. I want them both ^-^ although the Trike would probably take priority since Safari´s new Tyrannosaurus is already at the top of my list. Now there´s already 4 PNSO figures which I want. This Christmas is going to be dinosaurian!

Daspletodave

Hmmm, this is strange. Where are all the feather maniacs now? I'm surprised that there aren't 40 responses bashing this new T-Rex and calling it an abomination!
The change in scale is a welcome one, though.
I personally think we will never see PNSO dinos in brick and mortar stores- they are just too high end. But with worldwide distribution through Amazon, there is really no need.
Hopefully they do a mix of Chinese and N. American dino species in 1/35 scale going forward.
Overall this is VERY good news

stargatedalek

I'm certainly disappointed that they've changed over to what I would consider a far more "cliche" interpretation (and scale), but I hadn't felt bothered to reply until prompted.

For all its faults, the first PNSO Tyrannosaurus was a very original design, and it really deserves a lot more credit in that regard. This new Tyrannosaurus looks a lot like many others to me. The unnaturally large scales make it look "film grainy" like Papo (something that works very well for Papo's JP clones, but is very distracting on a piece trying to be realistic), the posture is uninspired and leaning forward to a potentially dated degree, it's shrink-wrapped (so was the first one), and something feels off about the proportions of the skull. It would not be inaccurate to say I find it an "abomination" in comparison to other choices by PNSO and even more-so to Tyrannosaurus produced by other manufacturers.

Being mostly in a larger scale has been a (literally) big factor in making PNSO stick out, the vast majority of manufacturers when they make large dinosaurs use a 1:35 - 1:45 scale range and it felt nice to have a company trying something different that wasn't a model kit. But if these two are going to be sold as a set it makes sense they would need to be smaller.

Dobber

Quote from: Daspletodave on October 22, 2016, 02:55:49 PM
Hmmm, this is strange. Where are all the feather maniacs now? I'm surprised that there aren't 40 responses bashing this new T-Rex and calling it an abomination!
I personally think we will never see PNSO dinos in brick and mortar stores- they are just too high end. But with worldwide distribution through Amazon, there is really no need.
Hopefully they do a mix of Chinese and N. American dino species in 1/35 scale going forward.

I'm fully onboard with feathers for T-Rex, but I can still appreciate the non feathered look too.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Megalosaurus

I don't really like to have another T.Rex. I'm tired of so many T.Rex & Triceratops.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

Flaffy

Quote from: Megalosaurus on October 22, 2016, 04:59:24 PM
I don't really like to have another T.Rex. I'm tired of so many T.Rex & Triceratops.
True, true. I'm mostly interested in the trike, but still, you can't have too many trikes and rexes right...? right...? ...
*cries in a corner, contemplating why you bought so many rexes and trikes*

Silvanusaurus

Personally I think I'd have appreciated lips and bit of podginess more than I would have feathers.

MLMjp

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 22, 2016, 04:03:32 PM
it's shrink-wrapped (so was the first one), and something feels off about the proportions of the skull. It would not be inaccurate to say I find it an "abomination" in comparison to other choices by PNSO and even more-so to Tyrannosaurus produced by other manufacturers.

How it is skin-wrapped?? :o It looks to have a decent mass, maybe not to the extent of the new Safari Rex but still bulky enough, like the Battat Rex. And about the skull, T.Rex skull proportions can differ from specimen to specimen:

RobinGoodfellow

The perfect T Rex : Fat & Fluffy  :))  ;)

stargatedalek

Quote from: MLMjp on October 22, 2016, 05:52:05 PM
it's shrink-wrapped (so was the first one), and something feels off about the proportions of the skull. It would not be inaccurate to say I find it an "abomination" in comparison to other choices by PNSO and even more-so to Tyrannosaurus produced by other manufacturers.

How it is skin-wrapped?? :o It looks to have a decent mass, maybe not to the extent of the new Safari Rex but still bulky enough, like the Battat Rex. And about the skull, T.Rex skull proportions can differ from specimen to specimen:

The lower half of the tail narrows in an unnatural fashion, the pubic boot sticks out as if just bone with skin on it, the chest is caved inwards, and the lower jaws pops outwards as if it's on top of the flesh.

The Battat Tyrannosaurus was good for its time but it is still dated in some ways, so it's not a great reference to use in regards to current pieces.

That is a crazy amount of skull variation, no wonder there are proposed subspecies.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on October 22, 2016, 07:29:21 PM

That is a crazy amount of skull variation, no wonder there are proposed subspecies.

After looking at the above illustration, everything now makes sense. I was trying to figure out why some Rex toy representations have a rounder head (e.g. Papo, WS, Kinto) while others feature an elongated snout (e.g. PNSO and CollectA).

Silvanusaurus

Ain't gonna lie... the more boxy, angular ones always look cooler than curvy ones in my eyes. Most toys seem to go for the curved look as far as I can recall, which I find a slight shame.

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Dobber on October 22, 2016, 04:06:13 PM

I'm fully onboard with feathers for T-Rex, but I can still appreciate the non feathered look too.

Chris
This.  I have two rexes on my main display shelf, the CollectA feathered and the Papo running.  I plan to add the WS feathered to it.  This one, however, will likely replace the Papo, which will be relegated to the back of the second shelf along with the standing rex.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

tanystropheus

I think the Dino Rider T-rex is the most accurate of all the models.

suspsy

While I've certainly seen some people express their preference for tyrannosaur plumage too strongly for their own good, both here and elsewhere, employing a term like "feather maniacs" really isn't necessary to get your point across. Could you please refrain from that kind of provocative language in the future?

Personally, I think the 1:35 T. rex looks very impressive in terms of sculpting detail. Assuming the final product will be identical to those photos, it easily beats out anything from Papo or REBOR. That said, I agree with what stargatedalek already wrote.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Takama

Feathers or no feathers, this T.Rex model looks like the best 1:35 Scale replication to come out. and Certainly puts Rebors lazy effort to shame.

The Atroxious

Now, I'm not a fan of Tyrannosaurus in general, but I'm one of those people who thinks it would have looked better with either more feathers or fewer scales. It looks altogether too lizardy, the way the scales and skin folds have been sculpted. I look at it, and I don't really see an archosaur so much as as a strange, bipedal squamate.

That's not to say scaly Tyrannosaurs can't look good, but as detailed as this sculpt is, it just looks off to me.

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on October 22, 2016, 10:25:00 PM

Ain't gonna lie... the more boxy, angular ones always look cooler than curvy ones in my eyes. Most toys seem to go for the curved look as far as I can recall, which I find a slight shame.

Hear hear! The AMNH 973 and LACM 23844, look the best in my opinion. LACM 23845 also looks like it might have had a very handsome skull as an adult. As it is, most models seem to be based on FMNH PR2081 and Samson.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Takama on October 23, 2016, 04:35:59 AM
Feathers or no feathers, this T.Rex model looks like the best 1:35 Scale replication to come out. and Certainly puts Rebors lazy effort to shame.

To be fair, REBOR hasn't done a T-rex in a few years. But, yes, the new PNSO T-rex (and WS T-rex) are better than the REBOR and Papo versions.

sauroid

could the variation in T. rex skull shapes be because of sexual differences and age instead of being subspecies?
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

stargatedalek

Quote from: sauroid on October 23, 2016, 05:18:57 AM
could the variation in T. rex skull shapes be because of sexual differences and age instead of being subspecies?
They are almost certainly genetic trends, since the different shapes are isolated from one another in different ages of rock.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: