News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seijun

Tany: It still doesn't look the same too me. The JP one had a smaller head, smaller feet, more gracile legs and neck, and a deeper chest. If I remember correctly, the model I posted is the horizon one, which was cast directly off of a model used in the making of the movie (please correct me if I am wrong).
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

indy1936

Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 24, 2012, 06:46:04 AM
Quote from: indy1936 on May 24, 2012, 06:42:51 AM
Just received the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus. I do like the sculpt however I am also greatly disappointed in the size. The Diplodocus re-sculpt of just a few years ago was 1:40 and is much larger compared to this model. Why not go the extra mile and make the Brachiosaurus just a bit larger? He is after all the largest dinosaur featured in the line. He shouldn't be smaller than your Diplodocus.  He is also listed as cheaper than the Diplodocus on safariltd.com. If diplo can be big and expensive why not the big boy of the line?

I think there are many who will agree with you.  >:D Still waiting for mine, would be interesting to see it in person.

Hopefully you like it! It is a really great figure - just small.

This image I posted in the old forum gives an idea of the scale between Brachiosaurus Brancai, Diplodocus and Apatosaurus:

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on May 24, 2012, 07:07:04 AM
Tany: It still doesn't look the same too me. The JP one had a smaller head, smaller feet, more gracile legs and neck, and a deeper chest. If I remember correctly, the model I posted is the horizon one, which was cast directly off of a model used in the making of the movie (please correct me if I am wrong).

The Horizon model is pretty cool and complements the Tamiya well. I think the Papo Brachiosaurus will prove to appear a bit more gracile given that the one pictured (with the T-rexes) appears to be taken at a slightly overhead angle. I do feel that the proportions of the first JP picture (of the 3 pic set...4 pics if you count Laura Dern) matches the Papo, but not so much for the second and third pictures, I suppose . I can't seem to find too many close-ups or zoomed in pics of the JP Brachiosaurus (or its head) on google search---kinda weird considering how popular the movie was.

I still have a vague idea of  what the Mamenchisaurus look like from the JP films....

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on May 24, 2012, 12:25:11 AM
I would have liked the Papo brachi more if it looked like the JP1 brachis, but I find this one to be quite ugly :/

Papo can't have 3 ugly figures in a given year (Tylosaurus, Green Running T-rex, and Brachiosaurus)--that's heresy :P :'(!! Now, please don't call the cute Papo baby T-rexes ugly...please don't, lol ;D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Pixelboy on May 24, 2012, 06:47:54 AM

If Papo had made a Brachio that looked like that, I'd gladly spend $50.00 on it.

Aside from models such as Horizon and Tamiya (and other models that require assembly and paint application), the Papo Brachiosaurus (despite also being a bit on the stocky side) is one of the better, if not best, JP toy representation in the mass market.  The Safari Ltd. Brachiosaurus toys, while scientifically sound, do not look like the JP movies, nor are they intended to.

Seijun

I found these pictures:
http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/images/0/03/501769-15.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120406143446/jurassicpark/images/a/ab/Myfriendbrachiosaur.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/images/0/05/Myfriendbrachiosaur3.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/images/e/e9/JP-Brachiosaur.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090430172731/jurassicpark/images/e/ed/Brachiosaurus.JPG
http://www.relyonhorror.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/JurassicParkBrachiosaurus2.jpg

I think of all the figures Papo released this year, the brachi does have the honor of being the least awful (IMO). As was discussed on the old forum, it bears a much closer resemblance to the brachis in the later jp films. As for the baby rex's... Papo's are ok, as long as I don't think of them as being tyrannosaurs (maybe infant versions of some godzilla-like monster relative?).
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Patrx

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 24, 2012, 09:42:31 AMThe Safari Ltd. Brachiosaurus toys, while scientifically sound, do not look like the JP movies, nor are they intended to.

Nah, of course not - I was hoping to get a "real" Brachio from Safari, and JP replica from Papo. The Safari one matches my expectations nicely, while the Papo falls just shy of what I was looking for. I might pick it up eventually, though. Like I said, it'd be nice to see it in person, first :)

indy1936

Hopefully you like it! It is a really great figure - just small.

This image I posted in the old forum gives an idea of the scale between Brachiosaurus Brancai, Diplodocus and Apatosaurus:

Blade-of-the-Moon

..and there is the truth of it. Ouch.

Arrgh ! If it had only been in scale !! :/

postsaurischian

Must be Supersaurus in the front ;D.

To be honest, that's not really fair - I mean the angle. You can hardly see the Brachio :( ;D.

I don't care too much about the size. I already have 2 nice ones in 1:35 :).
If the sculpt is as good as the last ones by Forest Rogers were (and it seems it is), it's a must-have!
I wonder what the Carnegie Brachiosaurus looks like next to the WS Apatosaurus ???. That might be a nice pair :)!

ZoPteryx

Hmm, it really looks like the people at Carnegie have decided to throw consistent scales out the window in recent years! :-\  I'm still getting it, but it'll just have to be a sub-adult compared to the other sauropods.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 24, 2012, 06:31:11 PM
Must be Supersaurus in the front ;D.

To be honest, that's not really fair - I mean the angle. You can hardly see the Brachio :( ;D.

I don't care too much about the size. I already have 2 nice ones in 1:35 :).
If the sculpt is as good as the last ones by Forest Rogers were (and it seems it is), it's a must-have!
I wonder what the Carnegie Brachiosaurus looks like next to the WS Apatosaurus ???. That might be a nice pair :)!

Maybe you could say that.. lol ;D

Not being able to see it..exactly. ;)

I love the sculpt..you can easily see the detail in it in larger pics. I just wish it was as impressive as the original version which is larger is all really.

I have a 1/20 JP Brach already myself..and will soon have another 1/20 Brachiosaur...but I can always make room for MORE.. ;D

postsaurischian

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 24, 2012, 07:01:09 PM
I have a 1/20 JP Brach already myself..and will soon have another 1/20 Brachiosaur...

>:( Grrr ....... don't say it's the Kaiyodo ;D!

brach81

Think I'll get the papo brach.  Real shame the carnegie is so small, nice body sculpture and neck too :( I want these things massive ;D

DinoFan45

I'm thinking about getting both, when I can. I'm just going to wait to see how the papo looks though...

And now that I think of it, the safari looks in-scale. If you compare the skeletals, the top of the shoulder is at the right height with the toys. I think that it's the neck that's throwing everyone off with the angle of it and all. The brachiosaurus isn't longer than the diplodocus, it's taller.
"Life will find a way."

indy1936

Quote from: DinoFan45 on May 24, 2012, 08:11:01 PM
I'm thinking about getting both, when I can. I'm just going to wait to see how the papo looks though...

And now that I think of it, the safari looks in-scale. If you compare the skeletals, the top of the shoulder is at the right height with the toys. I think that it's the neck that's throwing everyone off with the angle of it and all. The brachiosaurus isn't longer than the diplodocus, it's taller.

The hips on the brachi toy are well below that of the diplo.  The rear legs of Brachiosaurus and hips should be higher, thicker, longer than those of dippy. The legs and feet of the Brachio model are much thinner and the body is shorter also. The rear legs are much smaller than on the diplodocus. Trust me if you have it in hand you can see it. If you've seen the skeletons mounted in person you can see that Brachiosaurus is significantly larger than the biggest Diplodocus mount.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on May 24, 2012, 09:52:40 AM
I found these pictures:
http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/images/0/03/501769-15.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120406143446/jurassicpark/images/a/ab/Myfriendbrachiosaur.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/images/0/05/Myfriendbrachiosaur3.jpg
http://images.wikia.com/jurassicpark/images/e/e9/JP-Brachiosaur.jpg
http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20090430172731/jurassicpark/images/e/ed/Brachiosaurus.JPG
http://www.relyonhorror.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/JurassicParkBrachiosaurus2.jpg

I think of all the figures Papo released this year, the brachi does have the honor of being the least awful (IMO). As was discussed on the old forum, it bears a much closer resemblance to the brachis in the later jp films. As for the baby rex's... Papo's are ok, as long as I don't think of them as being tyrannosaurs (maybe infant versions of some godzilla-like monster relative?).

Thank you for the links, I appreciate it.  Most of the links that you've posted do seem to support the claim that the Horizon Brachiosaurus is indeed based on the JP films, especially with respect to the neck curvature.

However, take a very close look at the second link. The head sculpt with the goofy grin and a mouth full of teeth.  Yup, the Papo Brachiosaurus head sculpt is a spot-on match with that animatronic JP Brachiosaurus head...... aand, that is why the Papo Brachiosaurus is so beautiful, IMO---It is the only Brachiosaurus in the market that captures that uniquely characteristic unmistakable expression from the JP films!! ....same goofy grin  :)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on May 24, 2012, 07:16:47 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 24, 2012, 07:01:09 PM
I have a 1/20 JP Brach already myself..and will soon have another 1/20 Brachiosaur...

>:( Grrr ....... don't say it's the Kaiyodo ;D!

Okay, I shan't.. ;D lol

Quote from: indy1936 on May 24, 2012, 09:01:21 PM
Quote from: DinoFan45 on May 24, 2012, 08:11:01 PM

The hips on the brachi toy are well below that of the diplo.  The rear legs of Brachiosaurus and hips should be higher, thicker, longer than those of dippy. The legs and feet of the Brachio model are much thinner and the body is shorter also. The rear legs are much smaller than on the diplodocus. Trust me if you have it in hand you can see it. If you've seen the skeletons mounted in person you can see that Brachiosaurus is significantly larger than the biggest Diplodocus mount.

I've ordered it and will some pics of my own when it arrives. i still like it..just wish it could been..more.

Dan

CityRaptor

The Queen and the Princess! ( or King and Prince, if you prefer that )
They are looking good together.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: