News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Why are newer Apatosaurus models/figures depicted with whip-like/ribbon-like tails [e.g. Sideshow Apatosaurus, Safari Ltd. Apatosaurus]??

Is this particular attribute anatomically sound or artistic license of sorts?

ZoPteryx

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 23, 2012, 02:01:57 AM
Why are newer Apatosaurus models/figures depicted with whip-like/ribbon-like tails [e.g. Sideshow Apatosaurus, Safari Ltd. Apatosaurus]??

It's pretty much scientifically sound. They used their tails for defense and possibly communication.  Although, I think the ultrasquiggly tail of the newer Safari Apato might be a little overdone.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Taking everything into consideration so far..I wonder how the new version of the Apatosaurus will turn out ? lol

Takama

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on May 23, 2012, 04:36:39 AM
Taking everything into consideration so far..I wonder how the new version of the Apatosaurus will turn out ? lol

Hopefully with its neck not looking down like the current one

Patrx

Actually, I'm quite pleased with the size of the new Carnegie Brachio. Already ordered mine :) Seems to me like it's a nicely accurate representation of the animal. It's not shrink-wrapped, the hands are right (seriously, how do sculptors still miss that so often?), and the external nares are correctly placed. The position of its neck is a little questionable, but I doubt it's an impossible pose. As for the color, I'm not too fond of it, but it does seem reasonable enough. Like Brian Engh said: "Sauropods were big. Maybe too big for camouflage."

I'm still on the fence about the Papo brachiosaur. If it were a closer match to the elegant beast from Jurassic Park, I'd gladly shell out for it - but from the photos I've seen, I find it a little ugly. Kinda wrinkly and emaciated, and tremendously outdated to boot. Maybe if I could see it in person, I'd like the look of it better.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: stoneage on May 22, 2012, 09:59:19 PM
Well for the price there charging, it definitely should be bigger.  I'm really more excited by the Papo figure!

Yes, I agree with you on this one. I find myself more excited about the Papo brachi figure than the Safari one. Don't get me wrong, I like the Safari figure alright, I have it on order already, but for me, it does not have the same impressive look as the Papo version. >:D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 23, 2012, 07:14:46 AM
Well for the price there charging, it definitely should be bigger.  I'm really more excited by the Papo figure!

Yes, I agree with you on this one. I find myself more excited about the Papo brachi figure than the Safari one. Don't get me wrong, I like the Safari figure alright, I have it on order already, but for me, it does not have the same impressive look as the Papo version. >:D

If the stock picture is anything to go by, the Papo Brachiosaurus will be the must-have Brachiosaurus for the dinosaur enthusiasts. It looks relatively accurate too....not super-accurate, but more so than the average Brachiosaurus figures in the market.

Gwangi

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 23, 2012, 08:24:49 AM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on May 23, 2012, 07:14:46 AM

If the stock picture is anything to go by, the Papo Brachiosaurus will be the must-have Brachiosaurus for the dinosaur enthusiasts. It looks relatively accurate too....not super-accurate, but more so than the average Brachiosaurus figures in the market.

Though the Carnegie is really nice I have to admit I'm holding out for the Papo. It is my must have dinosaur or the year for sure. Come to think of it, I still need to get the Safari Brachiosaurus too.

Horridus

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 23, 2012, 02:01:57 AM
This is how they should always have been - older reconstructions were influenced by Marsh's chimeric 'brontosaur' that had too short a tail (and by other reconstructions based on that...never underestimate how much artists copy each other, especially if dinosaurs aren't normally their thing). Remember, Apatosaurus is a member of the Diplodocidae. Most models in the past have given it a too-thin neck, too. Even the more gracile species had stupidly thick necks.

Equally, when it comes to toys manufacturers are prone to truncating the tails for obvious, shelf space and shipment-related reasons. This'll probably be why the more accurately long-tailed ones are prone to wiggliness to save room.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Himmapaan

Of course, it is the latter end of the tail rather than the base that is more flexible and whip-like. The Sideshow, David Krentz Antediluvian and Shane Foulkes models are sterling representations of this aspect (as well as everything else). For me, I'm much less keen on the eel-like tail of the Safari figure. But I still want it (and still don't have it even now, the horror).

stoneage

Quote from: Pixelboy on May 23, 2012, 05:49:46 AM
Actually, I'm quite pleased with the size of the new Carnegie Brachio. Already ordered mine :) Seems to me like it's a nicely accurate representation of the animal. It's not shrink-wrapped, the hands are right (seriously, how do sculptors still miss that so often?), and the external nares are correctly placed. The position of its neck is a little questionable, but I doubt it's an impossible pose. As for the color, I'm not too fond of it, but it does seem reasonable enough. Like Brian Engh said: "Sauropods were big. Maybe too big for camouflage."

I'm still on the fence about the Papo brachiosaur. If it were a closer match to the elegant beast from Jurassic Park, I'd gladly shell out for it - but from the photos I've seen, I find it a little ugly. Kinda wrinkly and emaciated, and tremendously outdated to boot. Maybe if I could see it in person, I'd like the look of it better.

I think the Carnegie figure looks more emaciated then the Papo.  Brachiosaurus is the heaviest dinosaur from the Morrison Formation.

Patrx

QuoteI think the Carnegie figure looks more emaciated then the Papo.

Hm, looking again, the Papo does look pretty hefty; but check out the skull - it looks somewhat sunken. Anyway, the whole design's just too old-school for my tastes. The Carnegie doesn't have any overly-visible skeletal anatomy - it just looks like a more convincing animal to me.

Also, 100th post! Yay for me, I suppose.

Seijun

I would have liked the Papo brachi more if it looked like the JP1 brachis, but I find this one to be quite ugly :/
My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

Metallisuchus

Quote from: Seijun on May 24, 2012, 12:25:11 AM
I would have liked the Papo brachi more if it looked like the JP1 brachis, but I find this one to be quite ugly :/

It looks a lot like the JP Brachi.

Seijun

Not the ones in the 1st movie.

My living room smells like old plastic dinosaur toys... Better than air freshener!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Pixelboy on May 24, 2012, 12:14:06 AM
QuoteI think the Carnegie figure looks more emaciated then the Papo.

Hm, looking again, the Papo does look pretty hefty; but check out the skull - it looks somewhat sunken. Anyway, the whole design's just too old-school for my tastes. The Carnegie doesn't have any overly-visible skeletal anatomy - it just looks like a more convincing animal to me.

Also, 100th post! Yay for me, I suppose.

The skull and corresponding grin looks pretty wide to me. Overly-visible skeleton anatomy?  ??? Are you referring to the shoulder blades?

Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus appearing a tad bit skeletal:

http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/wp-content/images/jurassic_park_pics/edges_jurassic_3.jpg?9d7bd4

tanystropheus

Quote from: Seijun on May 24, 2012, 04:48:18 AM
Not the ones in the 1st movie.

The stock image of Papo Brachiosaurus, the general shape/habitus conforms to Brachiosaurus Picture 1 (out of 3)of JP1 Brachiosaurus (in fact, it is identical) in the following link:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktjzalIL6M1qa3j7jo1_500.jpg

However, the neck curvature bears a resemblance to the model that you've posted.

indy1936

Just received the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus. I do like the sculpt however I am also greatly disappointed in the size. The Diplodocus re-sculpt of just a few years ago was 1:40 and is much larger compared to this model. Why not go the extra mile and make the Brachiosaurus just a bit larger? He is after all the largest dinosaur featured in the line. He shouldn't be smaller than your Diplodocus.  He is also listed as cheaper than the Diplodocus on safariltd.com. If diplo can be big and expensive why not the big boy of the line?

Bokisaurus

Quote from: indy1936 on May 24, 2012, 06:42:51 AM
Just received the new Carnegie Brachiosaurus. I do like the sculpt however I am also greatly disappointed in the size. The Diplodocus re-sculpt of just a few years ago was 1:40 and is much larger compared to this model. Why not go the extra mile and make the Brachiosaurus just a bit larger? He is after all the largest dinosaur featured in the line. He shouldn't be smaller than your Diplodocus.  He is also listed as cheaper than the Diplodocus on safariltd.com. If diplo can be big and expensive why not the big boy of the line?

I think there are many who will agree with you.  >:D Still waiting for mine, would be interesting to see it in person.

Patrx

Quote from: tanystropheus on May 24, 2012, 06:14:29 AM

The skull and corresponding grin looks pretty wide to me. Overly-visible skeleton anatomy?  ??? Are you referring to the shoulder blades?

Jurassic Park Brachiosaurus appearing a tad bit skeletal:

http://www.darkrealmfox.com/film_reviews/wp-content/images/jurassic_park_pics/edges_jurassic_3.jpg?9d7bd4

I was mostly referring to the skull, the visible fenestrae and sunken orbits. The JP Brachio did indeed look a just a bit shrink-wrapped. That look was just starting to get popular around then, and helped emphasize how lean and agile JP's dinosaurs were compared to those in contemporary media. However, a design that incorporates more soft-tissue into the head, like that of the Carnegie Brachio, is generally considered more likely.

QuoteThe stock image of Papo Brachiosaurus, the general shape/habitus conforms to Brachiosaurus Picture 1 (out of 3)of JP1 Brachiosaurus (in fact, it is identical) in the following link:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ktjzalIL6M1qa3j7jo1_500.jpg

However, the neck curvature bears a resemblance to the model that you've posted.

See, to me, the JP1 model Seijun posted, and the screencaps you linked to look pretty dissimilar to the Papo figure. Mostly, yes, it's the curvature of the neck, but the overall build is different, more gracille. If Papo had made a Brachio that looked like that, I'd gladly spend $50.00 on it.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: