News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

2012 Figures

Started by DinoToyForum, March 10, 2012, 09:30:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 06, 2012, 09:30:35 PM
Wow, that is huge.

I recently got the Argentinosaurus too, Chris. I think it's one of their best sauropods. My very minor complaints would be that the scales are too big and its expression... a little on the 'derpy' side.

Looks pretty much exactly like the prototype..guess I'm in the hole another 99.00 Dan.. lol

Really?  Mine kind of has a " fierce " look to it's face like it's challenging a smaller theropod...maybe a great match for David's Giga ? ;)

Himmapaan

Perhaps 'derpy' wasn't quite the right word. I see what you mean about it looking in fact quite aggressive, especially with the wide gape.  But for me, it is more akin to Harryhausen's vicious 'Brontosaurus' than something more majestic.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 07, 2012, 02:46:12 AM
Perhaps 'derpy' wasn't quite the right word. I see what you mean about it looking in fact quite aggressive, especially with the wide gape.  But for me, it is more akin to Harryhausen's vicious 'Brontosaurus' than something more majestic.

Oh yeah..that was certainly a  vicious sauropod which I'm sure they very capable of being..especially in certain circumstances.

ITewan

Incase any of you want the Carnegie Brachiosaurus from Everything Dinosaur, here it is
http://www.everythingdinosaur.com/carnegie-collection-brachiosaurus.html
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Meso-Cenozoic

Except for the small size complaint a lot of us agree on, IMHO, I think the Carnegie Brachio is def one of the best, if not the best of the 2012 figures! I really, really like mine! And he looks great with WS figures, even better in a way than the WS Brachio, being a little bigger and more majestic looking!

I like the CollectA Argentinosaurus too. But talk about wishing something was BIGGER!! LOL! I wonder why CollectA never makes true 1/40 sauropods? Even when they say 1/40 they're never quite. (And I know, I know, a 1/40 Argentino would be too huge for some. But still, it could have been bigger.) Anyway, the only thing that looks a little odd to me is the sharp, nearly vertical upward angle of the neck. I do remember some new thought about it being able to raise it higher, but this just looks too extreme to me. And to me, the face looks a lot better than the catalog pic, albeit still a little, um... 'different'.

The 1/15 CollectA Trike is alright. But, def not worth $100 to me, though. (Oh, btw Dan, I don't think the WS Trike is 1/40 scale. I'd guess it to be around 1/45 - 1/50 maybe? Def smaller than it's 1/40 Carnegie counterpart.)

Roselaar

Oh my, that Trike is indeed fairly sized. I gotta get one, but I'm still on the fence about the 40 pounds of shipping costs. And I still wonder why it's more expensive on ED than their 1:15 Rex, despite being smaller. Maybe because it's a much cooler piece?

Himmapaan

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2012, 04:34:45 AM
Oh yeah..that was certainly a  vicious sauropod which I'm sure they very capable of being..especially in certain circumstances.
Oh, undoubtedly. My issue isn't that it couldn't be.  :)) The Harryhausen 'brontosaur' was just an example. What I meant was that it simply doesn't look especially refined. If I was very harsh I might say it was an angry but derpy expression. :))

postsaurischian

::)  CollectA (and the others too): Stop making giant Trikes & Rexes, start making Sauropods that go well in size with your other figures!

Metallisuchus

Quote from: postsaurischian on July 07, 2012, 03:18:58 PM
::)  CollectA (and the others too): Stop making giant Trikes & Rexes, start making Sauropods that go well in size with your other figures!

Amen to that!

CityRaptor

But don't make them in scale with your giant Trikes & Rexes..:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Horridus

Quote from: CityRaptor on July 07, 2012, 03:52:54 PM
Bwahaha. 1:15 Diplodocus, anyone? It would 'only' be getting on for 2 metres long...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 07, 2012, 02:57:14 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2012, 04:34:45 AM
Oh, undoubtedly. My issue isn't that it couldn't be.  :)) The Harryhausen 'brontosaur' was just an example. What I meant was that it simply doesn't look especially refined. If I was very harsh I might say it was an angry but derpy expression. :))

lol For sure.I just think that pic is funny..;D  Maybe they could have done a little more detail in there.  Actually looking up close it's right side has a bit more of a laughing expression while the left looks aggressive...guess it gives you a display option or two..lol

I like the larger scale for even Trikes and Rexes..but they sculpt needs to be good. For instance the Rex is more early Collecta while the Trike looks MUCH better like the current pieces.  I do want a big sauropod from them though...1/15 or other wise.

Quote from: Horridus on July 07, 2012, 05:16:17 PM
Quote from: CityRaptor on July 07, 2012, 03:52:54 PM
Bwahaha. 1:15 Diplodocus, anyone? It would 'only' be getting on for 2 metres long...

Bring it on ! I'm buying provided it looks nice. ;D

Horridus

I know I've said this already on the blog, but the new Triceratops looks like it has a really nice head, but the rest just looks like a blown-up version of a smaller Collecta toy (which doesn't suit a huge figure, where unrefined details are going to be obvious). Dan's already basically confirmed this to be the case, but I'd be interested to know what other people think if they get hold of one.
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Horridus

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on July 07, 2012, 05:42:10 PM
Bring it on ! I'm buying provided it looks nice. ;D
Really? Wow! Hey everyone, drinks...I mean, gigantic sauropod models are on BOTM!

Whoops, double post, sorry. Gah! Not sure what I'm thinking...
@Mhorridus

tanystropheus

Quote from: Meso-Cenozoic on July 07, 2012, 10:24:46 AM
Except for the small size complaint a lot of us agree on, IMHO, I think the Carnegie Brachio is def one of the best, if not the best of the 2012 figures! I really, really like mine! And he looks great with WS figures, even better in a way than the WS Brachio, being a little bigger and more majestic looking!

I like the CollectA Argentinosaurus too. But talk about wishing something was BIGGER!! LOL! I wonder why CollectA never makes true 1/40 sauropods? Even when they say 1/40 they're never quite. (And I know, I know, a 1/40 Argentino would be too huge for some. But still, it could have been bigger.) Anyway, the only thing that looks a little odd to me is the sharp, nearly vertical upward angle of the neck. I do remember some new thought about it being able to raise it higher, but this just looks too extreme to me. And to me, the face looks a lot better than the catalog pic, albeit still a little, um... 'different'.

The 1/15 CollectA Trike is alright. But, def not worth $100 to me, though. (Oh, btw Dan, I don't think the WS Trike is 1/40 scale. I'd guess it to be around 1/45 - 1/50 maybe? Def smaller than it's 1/40 Carnegie counterpart.)

I agree with your comments.  After seeing the 1/15 Tri, there doesn't seem to be any rational reason for CollectA not releasing a 1/40 Argentinosaurus.  Also, I would gladly pick up a 1/40 scale version of that 1/15 Tri---quills and all! ;D

The CollectA Amargasaurus, as a sauropod/pro-sauropod, looks rather big---I wonder if it is out of scale?  However, I agree, CollectA Sauropods are relatively small (e.g. Ampelosaurus) when compared to the rest of their prehistoric portfolio.

SBell

Quote from: tanystropheus on July 07, 2012, 06:26:42 PM

I agree with your comments.  After seeing the 1/15 Tri, there doesn't seem to be any rational reason for CollectA not releasing a 1/40 Argentinosaurus.  Also, I would gladly pick up a 1/40 scale version of that 1/15 Tri---quills and all! ;D

The CollectA Amargasaurus, as a sauropod/pro-sauropod, looks rather big---I wonder if it is out of scale?  However, I agree, CollectA Sauropods are relatively small (e.g. Ampelosaurus) when compared to the rest of their prehistoric portfolio.

Which Amargasaurus? There is a standard figure, and a 1:40 deluxe. I don't know how you are judging the scale without knowing its length (admittedly, I haven't looked all that hard, but didn't see a length for it) or at least judging it against something of known size.

EDIT--okay, went back a little further and saw the photo of it with Arthur.  After a quick scaling, it come out to about 7 of Arthur--assuming roughly 70", that puts the figure at 490", or 40', so a little long, but given the inexact nature of my measure the figure is probably reasonable in size. Also, given it is known from a single complete skeleton, it's difficult to gauge what a size range could be for the species as a whole and so being a little bigger (or smaller) could still be okay.

tanystropheus

Quote from: SBell on July 07, 2012, 10:09:39 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on July 07, 2012, 06:26:42 PM

Which Amargasaurus? There is a standard figure, and a 1:40 deluxe. I don't know how you are judging the scale without knowing its length (admittedly, I haven't looked all that hard, but didn't see a length for it) or at least judging it against something of known size.

Yeah, you're right about the Amargasaurus being 1:40 deluxe, but wasn't the Amargasaurus a prosauropod? Shouldn't it (still) be a bit smaller, even at 1:40? It looks massive! However, these pictures can be deceiving....

Himmapaan

Amargasaurus was a fully fledged sauropod.  :) A dicraeosaurid diplodocid!  :))

Also, I think perhaps the term 'prosauropod' is rather frowned upon these days. 'Sauropodomorph' tends to be preferred.

SBell

Quote from: Himmapaan on July 07, 2012, 10:25:04 PM
Amargasaurus was a fully fledged sauropod.  :) A dicraeosaurid diplodocid!  :))

Also, I think perhaps the term 'prosauropod' is rather frowned upon these days. 'Sauropodomorph' tends to be preferred.

Prosauropod is a specific term, referring to a grade of sauropodomorph that still retains some primitive characteristics. But yeah, Amargasaurus is very much a true sauropod.  A small one (at 10m long! Everything is relative...) but still a true one. A highly derived one, even.

Meso-Cenozoic

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: