News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Battat Dynasty

Started by Bokisaurus, June 08, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loru1588

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on August 15, 2015, 04:13:25 PM
Quote from: Bokisaurus on June 08, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

In addition, I also managed to acquire two resin prototype versions of some of the figures Dan sculpted for Safari, the Plateosaurus and Pteranodon.

I read somewhere that Dan made more prototypes for Safari, but back then, they felt that they were not consistent with the current Carnegie line sculpt that they never got produced into actual figures. I believe there were ceratopsians and duckbills... can you imagine?

I didn't realize Dan sculpted the Carnegie Plateosaurus and Pteranodon! That's a cool bit of trivia. I'd like to know what his unused models looked like...

I did NOT sculpt those 2. I believe Forrest Rogers did. I just happened to have my molds and resins made at the same shop ( at the time. They have since closed) and I picked up a few resins and sold them. With permission of course!!!

Daspletodave

Dan, I can't wait to see your Terra Plateosaurus. Can you tell us what  progress you've made on that model? Thanks!

Sim

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on August 15, 2015, 06:15:18 PM
Quote from: Sim on August 13, 2015, 02:29:26 PM
Is the colour of the plastic used for the re-issues one of the colours of the dinosaur, with the other colours painted on?  Like how the 'cream' colour on the Battat Pachyrhinosaurus is the colour of its plastic, with the other colours like red and pink painted on.  If that's the case, it makes me think the re-issues aren't old stock.  I don't know for sure though, or how plastic colour is achieved.

I'm not happy ink stamped dates are being used.  The ones on Wild Safari and Carnegie Collection figures were very conspicuous and often absurdly placed (such as on the side of a dinosaur's tail) which contributed to me becoming less interested in those lines.  I wish Battat would just stick to the number dial!  I hope the ink stamped dates on the Battat re-issues aren't conspicuous.  Sigh...

The plastic on the new Rex I got is indeed green, it hasn't been painted over. Also the ink stamp is on the bottom of one of the feet.

Thanks for confirming those things, Kayakasaurus!

loru1588

TRust me, the repaints are NOT newly molded toys. They are old inventory!

EmperorDinobot

I'm going to pick up the T.rex this weekend, and pick up more clearanced dinosaurs for charity during X-mas.

Pachyrhinosaurus

Quote from: loru1588 on August 19, 2015, 12:44:23 AM
Is that the reason for the mini T. rex being re-released? I remember discussion earlier about a warehouse which reportedly had lots of them.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

loru1588

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on August 19, 2015, 12:54:39 AM
Quote from: loru1588 on August 19, 2015, 12:44:23 AM
Is that the reason for the mini T. rex being re-released? I remember discussion earlier about a warehouse which reportedly had lots of them.

Pretty much so. Don't know how much of what they have, well see!

Victoria's Cantina

I don't own any Battat/Terra dinosaurs or know much about them, but I saw Tyrannosaurus at Target. I'm thinking about going back and getting it. For $10 it's actually quite nice.

Takama

Quote from: Victoria B on August 19, 2015, 05:31:04 AM
I don't own any Battat/Terra dinosaurs or know much about them, but I saw Tyrannosaurus at Target. I'm thinking about going back and getting it. For $10 it's actually quite nice.

Do you plan on opening it? or leaveing it in the box?

If you open it, note it will not stand on its own

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Takama on August 19, 2015, 05:48:12 AM
Quote from: Victoria B on August 19, 2015, 05:31:04 AM

Do you plan on opening it? or leaveing it in the box?

If you open it, note it will not stand on its own

I would definitely open it. That's a bummer that it cannot stand. That should be the most basic function of any dinosaur toy.

Takama

Here is an Easy and Cheap Fix

Victoria's Cantina

He looks like he was impaled and is trying unsuccessfully to grab onto it for removal. :)

Definitely a nice looking dinosaur for the price, IMO. The crest things above the eyes are a little weird, though.

Fukuiraptor

I have the original series and hope Battat could continue to roll out more figures, from the original or new generations.

Sim

Quote from: Victoria B on August 19, 2015, 07:06:58 AM
The crest things above the eyes are a little weird, though.
Those crests are plausible.  They are over where on at least some Tyrannosaurus skulls there's a rough bone surface indicating there may have been crests there.  The ones on the Battat Tyrannosaurus are modeled after the shape of the areas they emerge from, unlike the angry eye crests on the JP Tyrannosaurus and the ones that copied it like Papo's and Rebor's - these angry eye crests are made-up.

Tyrannosauron

It's entirely possible that I have too much time on my hands this morning:

Victoria's Cantina

Got my Terra Tyrannosaur today!  ^-^

I've gotta say... you can't beat the price on this, especially when a few aisles down for the same price you can get a more high-profile but infinitely inferior T-Rex for the same price.

Pawnosuchus

No doubt I'm biased because I have all the original Battats, but the new paint jobs look dull to me.  In the majority of the figures, I prefer the old colors, especially the Acro and the T-Rex.  I'm still not sure if I will get the repaints.  Probably not.

Ichthyosaur

Quote from: Victoria B on August 20, 2015, 04:54:03 AM
Got my Terra Tyrannosaur today!  ^-^

I've gotta say... you can't beat the price on this, especially when a few aisles down for the same price you can get a more high-profile but infinitely inferior T-Rex for the same price.

Congrats Victoria! ...Didn't know you were on here. :) Yeah, Battats are great.  I had the entire collection of 18 unopened but sold it for an insanely large amount a few years ago.  Just couldn't pass up that kind of money.  But now I'm trying to get them all back gradually.  I'm only lacking about 4 or 5.  And I may just stick with the Terra repaints on some of those.  I've only found/bought the T-Rex and Acro of the repaints so far but both look great IMO.

"The Age of Reptiles" Rudolph Franz Zallinger 1947

Victoria's Cantina

Quote from: Ichthyosaur on August 21, 2015, 05:45:03 PMCongrats Victoria! ...Didn't know you were on here. :) Yeah, Battats are great.  I had the entire collection of 18 unopened but sold it for an insanely large amount a few years ago.  Just couldn't pass up that kind of money.  But now I'm trying to get them all back gradually.  I'm only lacking about 4 or 5.  And I may just stick with the Terra repaints on some of those.  I've only found/bought the T-Rex and Acro of the repaints so far but both look great IMO.

Thanks! I honestly don't know too much about these, but after seeing the T-Rex on the shelf, I couldn't pass it up for the price. Now I think I'm getting hooked! I don't know if I'll collect all the repaints, but I'm certainly picking and choosing the ones that appeal to me most.

Bokisaurus

So, the long awaited new generation of Battat finally met their predecessors ;) And just like any generation, this new ones are given a much welcomed new outfits for those endless appearances that would sure to come.
And just like their predecessors, these new color and designs very much reflects the current decade. I find it really interesting to view the old and the new side-by-side, noticing some subtle differences, etc. Not only were there outfit change, the name has also changed, welcome the Tera Clan! ;D The Old Battat stamp is still there, but there is a new # stamped on their belly.

Anyway, picture heavy as always, but enjoy the new generation. And let us hope that this new generation will spawn more addition and will have a much longer reign that their predecessor!

Comparisons -
[

And the King, Mr. T himself ^-^ There are subtle differences in this new and old version that is more noticeable than the others. First, this new King is slightly more "fit", not as robust as the old one. The mouth is also not as wide as can be seen if you view them head-on.
[

Finally a family portrait of the new release
[
And with the brand new Tera figures to continue the generation

Oh, these new ones travel in deluxe boxes, too ;D
[
Cheers!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: