News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

The Battat Dynasty

Started by Bokisaurus, June 08, 2012, 09:21:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Simon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 21, 2014, 08:04:24 AM
I am curious about something here Dan..if I could ask please. Battat is doing all of this with your cooperation which I understand....and you have stated as far as the re-releases Boston Museums claim to the line has long expired leaving seemingly you and Battat or just Battat? If you both are co-owners now where does this place Greg regarding the figures he sculpted? Does he have some agreement with them as well or do they have sole right of ownership ?

I don't think that Dan has any ownership rights over the Battat figures, and neither does Greg.  Battat owns the figures.  Greg and Dan were hired to sculpt the original figures.  Now Dan has been hired to do an additional 12 new figures and to repaint the originals in order to prep them for reissue.

Dan can correct me if I am mistaken, but that is probably the way that it works.

loru1588

Quote from: Simon on August 21, 2014, 01:54:01 PM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 21, 2014, 08:04:24 AM
I am curious about something here Dan..if I could ask please. Battat is doing all of this with your cooperation which I understand....and you have stated as far as the re-releases Boston Museums claim to the line has long expired leaving seemingly you and Battat or just Battat? If you both are co-owners now where does this place Greg regarding the figures he sculpted? Does he have some agreement with them as well or do they have sole right of ownership ?

I don't think that Dan has any ownership rights over the Battat figures, and neither does Greg.  Battat owns the figures.  Greg and Dan were hired to sculpt the original figures.  Now Dan has been hired to do an additional 12 new figures and to repaint the originals in order to prep them for reissue.

Dan can correct me if I am mistaken, but that is probably the way that it works.

Simon hit the nail on the head. We were work for hire as am I for the Terra Series. The Dan LoRusso Collection is a licensing agreement for my name.

Simon

Here are some fun pics I just put together.  Feel free to use as you see fit  O:-)

docronnie

Nice fun pics, Simon. I have none at the moment. Hope my aunt could at least snag the Pachyrhinosaurus for me. 😊
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

loru1588

loru1588

Taking an unofficial poll for dinosaurs for the Terra Series, figured I might as well start a poll for the former MOS, Boston series. I'll start a new post. just read the guidelines please!!

Bokisaurus

Repaint of the pachyrhinosaurus, the first one I did.
[
I felt that the more subdued colors made the figure go better with the rest of the Battat figures, plus it was fun to transform this beautiful figure :D

Takama

The FIrst Re issues that popped up here in Iowa

Tyrannosaurus Rex

As we all know,   Battat Rushed there products out due to the demand However, it ruined the Tyrannosaurus, becuase it cant stand without aid. If Problems like this is what caused them to Go extinct in the first place, what does this mean for the future of the line?

Acrocanthosaurus atonkensis

My Generation two Collection So far

triceratops83

Quote from: Bokisaurus on August 30, 2014, 07:38:52 PM

Lovely repaint, perfectly suits that figure.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Kayakasaurus

[

Yay! I've been wanting to see some Battat repaints, especially the Pachy. I've been considering repainting mine. Good job!
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Kayakasaurus

Quote from: Takama on August 18, 2014, 05:58:40 PM

Hi Takama, looking at the second picture of the Rex, are the eyes that unsymmetrical? It drives me crazy when one eye is further back or higher than the other.
Protocasts Dinosaur Models http://youtube.com/c/kayakasaurus

Sim

Quote from: Takama on August 11, 2015, 03:26:38 AM
As we all know,   Battat Rushed there products out due to the demand However, it ruined the Tyrannosaurus, becuase it cant stand without aid. If Problems like this is what caused them to Go extinct in the first place, what does this mean for the future of the line?

I think you might be making unfounded assumptions here.  Or have you asked Battat about these things?  Is it known Battat rushed out their products?  And if they did, why?  Or could it be the softer plastic was an intentional choice for some reason?  I also wonder if the softer plastic was a choice made by the factory they were made in, and not a choice made by Battat?

suspsy

I can't imagine it was an intentional choice for the plastic to be so soft that the toys couldn't even stand up.

Have people been contacting Battat about this issue? Perhaps they can see to it that future waves are corrected----provided they know that something is wrong.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Simon

Quote from: Sim on August 11, 2015, 02:02:27 PM
Quote from: Takama on August 11, 2015, 03:26:38 AM

I think you might be making unfounded assumptions here.  Or have you asked Battat about these things?  Is it known Battat rushed out their products?  And if they did, why?  Or could it be the softer plastic was an intentional choice for some reason?  I also wonder if the softer plastic was a choice made by the factory they were made in, and not a choice made by Battat?

It could well have been a choice made to prevent breakage of small thin parts like claws, teeth and horns, and also to lower the danger of some child getting cut by the same parts.  I am willing to give them a pass on this since there are simple ways of making the figures stand up for display purposes ... small thin clear plastic rods for example ...

pylraster

Still it's better if the figure could at least stand on its own. Being stiffer doesn't mean it has to be fragile. I hope our concerns reach Battat, so future releases can be better. :)

Sim

You might be onto something Simon.  I've felt my Battat MOS dinosaurs from my childhood and these are the plastic types I've noticed:

Quite hard plastic: Used for Gallimimus, Ceratosaurus v1, Tyrannosaurus v3.  Feels like the plastic the Battat Nanshiungosaurus is made from.

Somewhat hard, somewhat pliable plastic: Used for Dilophosaurus v1, Utahraptor.  Feels like the plastic the Battat Cryolophosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus and Dacentrurus are made from.

Quite pliable plastic: Used for Ouranosaurus, Styracosaurus.

I also had the Battat Amargasaurus and Edmontonia but I haven't been able to find them.  I think they were given away along with some other prehistoric animal toys I had when I was a kid.  I think the Amargasaurus and Edmontonia were made from the same type of plastic as the Styraco and Ourano, they definitely weren't made of the quite hard plastic.

I was given a second Ceratosaurus v1 and Utahraptor because my first ones lost a lot of their finger claws and the Cerato some of its nasal horn all from play.  (All my other Battat dinos only suffered some paint wear.)  Out of these I only still have my first worn Ceratosaurus and my second Utahraptor which hasn't suffered any breakage.  Interestingly, I remember my first Utahraptor, the one that lost most of its finger claws, was made of a harder plastic than my second one.

The size of the MOS Tyrannosaurus makes it a very sturdy figure.  Based on what I've experienced with mine, and what people have been saying about the Terra one I think it probably would be better if Battat used a harder plastic for the re-issued one, and a longer or wider box for it so they don't have to cramp its tail in.  I'm quite curious about the choice of plastic for these re-issues and I've thought about asking Battat about this/the concerns people here have raised.  I don't have any of the re-issues yet though, and I feel I would be in a better place to ask if I had them.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I was pretty surprised by the sharp looking little claws and defined teeth on the Rex, if softer plastic is needed to get that result and prevent breakage, I'm good with it.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Kayakasaurus on August 11, 2015, 05:06:34 AM
[

Yay! I've been wanting to see some Battat repaints, especially the Pachy. I've been considering repainting mine. Good job!

If the pachy had looked like that I would have bought it. I hate the chinasaur-esque paint job they gave it...

Gwangi

Maybe it was a cost thing? The softer plastic being cheaper? I don't know, just speculating. I think it is a bit presumptuous to say that "Battat Rushed there products out due to the demand". We really don't know that, and aside from a small community of collectors I doubt there was THAT much demand.

postsaurischian

Don't get me wrong - I love Battat! But these latest two big theropod re-issues are really disappointing.
I'm glad I have an original Tyrannosaurus and I'm not gonna buy this quadrupedal Acrocanthosaurus :P.
The Terra line did a bad job here.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: