News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

It's cute.
However, this is certainly not on par with Papo's Ankylosaurus.
It is a step up from the Collecta Polacanthus and rivals Schleich's best models (e.g. Pentaceratops and Kentrosaurus)
The feet look a bit too rigid, and does not appear organic.
It is undoubtedly an outsourced product, perhaps made by the sculptor that designs the Mosasaurus and Plesiosaurus.
It isn't the worst Papo prehistoric product- that honor goes to the Mosasaurus and the Mammoth babies.
I will pick it up eventually, just because it is a Polacanthus and one of the better available models of the species.

Jose S.M.

The head is weird, I agree with you MLMjp, looks like it has a helmet or mask on instead of the armor being part of the animal. It's way better than CollectA's but still I don't know, a might wait for a better Polacanthus a bit more.
And I read that this is lower quality than CollectA Gastonia... I don't think that figure is low quality at all, sure it's tiny and has it's inaccuracies but for me it's pretty well sculpted, I love it.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 08, 2016, 02:58:31 PM
Why is it's skull an amalgamation of Pachycephalosaurus, a ceratopsian, and a carp?

Correct number of digits or not the way they all face forwards lined up exactly evenly is unnatural.

Easily Papo's worst dinosaur in my opinion. Although in fairness it's on par with Schleich's better figures, so make of that what you will.

I was thinking the same thing, but it seems better than their Mosasaurus...

edit: I just realized that you said dinosaur. It is their worst dinosaur.

The Atroxious

Is it just me or are Papo's paint jobs getting worse by the year? First there was the 2016 Baryonyx with its cheap looking paint job, now we have this Polacanthus with patternless, flat colors, and the only "details" are made with a grey wash over the body. It also seems weirdly metallic in these photos. I normally like iridescent touches applied to figures, but this looks unnatural, less like an animal and more like a vehicle.

postsaurischian

I can't understand some of the reactions. The Polacanthus has as many flaws as any Papo prehistoric figure has (with a few exceptions).
I do not see the difference. There have been much worse figures, such as Plesiosaurus, Tylosaurus or Baryonyx.
Either figures are too shrink-wrapped or as in this case too fat - the Dinosaur police people will always find a reason to bash a figure.
I do not see a better Polacanthus in the Dinosaur toy world.
One possibility for the very critical collectors would be to stop buying toy figures and start buying high end models. There are plenty of them nowadays.

Derek.McManus

I still think the new Poloacanthus looks OK and I will certainly consider added one of these toys to my collection!

Megalosaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 08, 2016, 04:03:05 PM
I can't understand some of the reactions. The Polacanthus has as many flaws as any Papo prehistoric figure has (with a few exceptions).
I do not see the difference. There have been much worse figures, such as Plesiosaurus, Tylosaurus or Baryonyx.
Either figures are too shrink-wrapped or as in this case too fat - the Dinosaur police people will always find a reason to bash a figure.
One possibility for the very critical collectors would be to stop buying toy figures and start buying high end models. There are plenty of them nowadays.

Good points!

I'll buy my Papocanthus to accompany my Paponkylosaurus.
Sobreviviendo a la extinción!!!

suspsy

Ayup.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Albertosaurus

It is not only about flaws in the anatomy, but more about the crappy sculpture and the horrible and lazy colors (even though that is fixable). Papo WAS known for highly detailed figures. This one is clearly not as good as the Kaprosuchus for example.

If you say that both of the figures are at the same level of detail, then you should take a closer look...

CityRaptor

Again, keep calm and and do something. It's way too early to say "Papo WAS known". There are still two more reveals.

It's funny: If this was Schleich, some people would call it the best Schleich ever.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Patrx

Easy on the "dino police" talk there. I doubt you mean it to be inflammatory, but it could be interpreted as such.  C:-)

QuoteOne possibility for the very critical collectors would be to stop buying toy figures and start buying high end models. There are plenty of them nowadays.
A valid point, but there is a bit of a cost difference, hah.

The new Papo Polocanthus does seem a little ...different from other Papo dinosaurs. Maybe it was designed by whoever made those underwhelming marine reptiles a few years back?

stargatedalek

Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 08, 2016, 04:44:30 PM
Agreed,

It is not only about flaws in the anatomy, but more about the crappy sculpture and the horrible and lazy colors (even though that is fixable). Papo WAS known for highly detailed figures. This one is clearly not as good as the Kaprosuchus for example.
Agreed, the problems with the Papo Polacanthus aren't scientific, but rather aesthetic. Barring the mammoths(?) Papo has never made an accurate extinct animal, but most of them are still very "life-like" (as-in, they look like tiny dinosaur shaped lizards that could really come to life in front of you). The Polacanthus however just doesn't hold up.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Patrx on December 08, 2016, 05:01:28 PM

The new Papo Polocanthus does seem a little ...different from other Papo dinosaurs. Maybe it was designed by whoever made those underwhelming marine reptiles a few years back?

That's what I think. I think the same sculptor also may have made the Minis.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

honestly, this is my favorite release from them so far.     ITs nice to see a new armourd dinosaur besides Ankylosaurus.

When compared to the Tylosaurus and Plesiosaurus, i think this model is far better.

Shonisaurus

[/quote]

We know that they are still toy figures, but honestly from my humble point of view this is not the best figures of Papo or even.

On the other hand if they gave me to choose between the option to buy toy figures like Papo or Rebor to resin figures as the excellent brand Sideshow among others would choose the resin what happens is that many people as is my case we do not have Space or money to buy such figures.

In any case, they are a simple collector who is fond of prehistoric dinosaur figures, but that does not mean that he will not buy them, I simply comment that from my humble point of view he does not convince that figure in his anatomy and even in his purple color Which gives much to be desired.

On the other hand it is said by the forums that gastonia (belonging to the dark age of Collecta) is worse than Papo polacanthus, for me from the scientific and anatomical point I consider collecta gastonia better than Papo polacanthus.

Among other things I like many figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric Papo animals like the kaprosuchus and the feathered velociraptor (the latter with its scientific imperfections but beautifully modeled) and I do not go very far from the time in terms of Papo figures, but the latter Figure reminds me more of the figures like those of Tomy Good Dinosaur of Bullyland (eye, saving the distances that is not so caricatured) in that it is too childlike from my personal point of view as they were the breeding of the triceratops of Papo.

With what I have said in no way I want to annoy or offend any member of the forum but it is a merely personal impression that I have of that figure.

What I said if I were to choose between resin figures beautifully carved to mediocre toy dinosaurs as they are (except for honorable and exceptional cases) most of the figures of Schleich would buy the resin figures but what is said, the problem is money.

DinoLord

While it's not an outstanding model, I don't think the Polacanthus is as poor as some are making it out to be. The sculpt has a decent level of detail, with the main inaccuracies being the hands and possibly the torso/hips being too narrow. However the paint scheme is quite uninteresting, even by Papo standards. I imagine it'd look much better repainted. I still think that dreadful plesiosaur still takes the cake as the worst Papo prehistoric figure...

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 08, 2016, 04:03:05 PMOne possibility for the very critical collectors would be to stop buying toy figures and start buying high end models. There are plenty of them nowadays.

This is quite right, and I'm starting to be more inclined towards doing so these days. Certainly helps with the problem of expanding too quickly beyond one's shelf space!

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on December 08, 2016, 05:11:58 PM
Quote from: Albertosaurus on December 08, 2016, 04:44:30 PM
Agreed,

Agreed, the problems with the Papo Polacanthus aren't scientific, but rather aesthetic. Barring the mammoths(?) Papo has never made an accurate extinct animal, but most of them are still very "life-like" (as-in, they look like tiny dinosaur shaped lizards that could really come to life in front of you). The Polacanthus however just doesn't hold up.

This post sounds a bit exaggerated to me.
The Tupux and the Apato are accurate, or at least as accurate as any model made by rival companies. Yes, I realize the Tupux is missing pycnofibres just like the Sideshow version. The Dilopho has pronated arms just like the WS version...etc...etc. but the word, 'accurate' becomes rendered useless if we become accuracy literalists. If we entertain this level of excess literalism, every CollectA theropod should now be regarded as inaccurate because they are all shrink-wrapped---and, again that would be a silly assessment on our part.
The Dimetro has scales, but others have contested that it is still valid as per paleontology. Aside, from the Colombian Mammoth, the other Mammoths look like all sorts of derp. We can say the Columbian Mammoth was super-accurate, because Papo exhibited remarkable foresight to predict years in advance...the so-called reddish fur color of the Mammoths.

Neosodon

Quote from: The Atroxious on December 08, 2016, 04:01:25 PM
Is it just me or are Papo's paint jobs getting worse by the year? First there was the 2016 Baryonyx with its cheap looking paintjob, now we have this Polacanthus with patternless, flat colors, and the only "details" are made with a grey wash over the body. It also seems weirdly metallic in these photos. I normally like iridescent touches applied to figures, but this looks unnatural, less like an animal and more like a vehicle.
Well said. I was thinking the same thing. Collecta Gastonia is way prettier and more colorfull while Safari Saurapelta is way better detailed, painted and more realistic.

I know allot of you like papo but I find the line overall a major disappointment. The models are durable and high quality but still bad. Allot of the paint jobs a dull and resemble the colors you would see in a gravel pit more than the colors you would expect on a dinosaur. You can get a model of the same quality from another company for half the price. The thing that bugs me the most is some of the poses. If Dilophosaurus tried to do this in real life I think it would snap its tail and dislocate its back leg. The Styracosaurus looks like its choking to death and the Ankylosaurus looks constipated. I apologize if I've offended any papo fans, I'm not usually this negative but this is just the way I've felt for a long time. I have papo Parasauralophus and running T Rex and I like them both but papo certainly has room for some improvements.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

tanystropheus

Quote from: Neosodon on December 08, 2016, 05:57:18 PM
Quote from: The Atroxious on December 08, 2016, 04:01:25 PM
Is it just me or are Papo's paint jobs getting worse by the year? First there was the 2016 Baryonyx with its cheap looking paintjob, now we have this Polacanthus with patternless, flat colors, and the only "details" are made with a grey wash over the body. It also seems weirdly metallic in these photos. I normally like iridescent touches applied to figures, but this looks unnatural, less like an animal and more like a vehicle.
Well said. I was thinking the same thing. Collecta Gastonia is way prettier and more colorfull while Safari Saurapelta is way better detailed, painted and more realistic.

The Styracosaurus looks like its choking to death and the Ankylosaurus looks constipated.

Well, maybe it is!

Saurox

I'm actually a big fan if it as an art piece. To say that's it's  schleich-y is absurd. I can only assume that bitter remark is based off of the colour, because schleich are nowhere near as detailed.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: