News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saurox

Quote from: danmalcolm on December 02, 2016, 10:02:07 PM
It would be pretty sweet to open this thread to an announcement sometime! Everytime I check I'm thinking "ok this is it", it's almost always a disappointment.

Has it not occurred to you that some of us like to speculate and use this forum for it's actual purpose of discussing dinosaurs toys released or unreleased? Has it also not occurred to you that by writing this comment you might have disappointed others not unlike yourself, who might be thinking that your comment might be the 'it'?

pfft

Shonisaurus

It would be pretty sweet to open this thread to an announcement sometime! Everytime I check I'm thinking "ok this is it", it's almost always a disappointment.

It seems to me that this year we are going to get another disappointment with the dinosaur figures of Papo, but at the same time. I hope that I am wrong and is no more than a mere agorero but I do not have much hope.

An advance of what the figures of Papo are going to be is the famous polacanthus foxii that is not to shoot rockets although his figure is blurred. I said I wish I was wrong.

CityRaptor

Geez, people are too early to judge. All we have is one blurry picture.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

suspsy

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 03, 2016, 11:28:58 AM

Tell me about it.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Concavenator

When a figure truly is good,it looks good even in a blurry picture.This time we have a blurry picture and really it looks bad.Certainly not what one would expect from Papo.Here's to hope the Acrocanthosaurus will be good,because the Iguanodon will most surely be Disney influenced

Rain

I went ahead and pixelated Safari's rex for you all to compare whether or not pixelation makes a figure look bad..

Flaffy

Yes. Yes it does look bad.

danmalcolm

Masakira, I didn't intend folks to feel condemned by my post. Speculation and discussion prior to announcement is what I'd expect, nothing wrong with it. I truly am looking forward to opening this thread and seeing something concrete, however...

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Rain on December 03, 2016, 02:43:16 PM
I went ahead and pixelated Safari's rex for you all to compare whether or not pixelation makes a figure look bad..

It look like it had three fingers! And no teeth. Imagine the outrage if a big company released a promo pic of a tyrannosaurus that looks like it has three fingers hehehe.

CityRaptor

I'm also not quite sure if it is feathered or just beefy by that pic.
Oh no

MLMjp

Quote from: Concavenator on December 03, 2016, 02:17:48 PM
When a figure truly is good,it looks good even in a blurry picture.This time we have a blurry picture and really it looks bad.Certainly not what one would expect from Papo.Here's to hope the Acrocanthosaurus will be good,because the Iguanodon will most surely be Disney influenced

Like their Dilophosaurus, which was JP inspired .....Yeah ::)

I doubt it will be based on the Disney version, the only think I see them borrowing form that is the color scheme and the little spikes of the back, but I highly doubt that the face will have lips instead of a beak.

Flaffy

Quote from: danmalcolm on December 03, 2016, 02:48:56 PM
Masakira, I didn't intend folks to feel condemned by my post. Speculation and discussion prior to announcement is what I'd expect, nothing wrong with it. I truly am looking forward to opening this thread and seeing something concrete, however...
Well, you'll have to get used to that. Every year.  ::)

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: MLMjp on December 03, 2016, 03:10:17 PM

Like their Dilophosaurus, which was JP inspired .....Yeah ::)

I doubt it will be based on the Disney version, the only think I see them borrowing form that is the color scheme and the little spikes of the back, but I highly doubt that the face will have lips instead of a beak.

I think Papo is moving away from their JP inspired figures, last year's Velociraptor wasn't JP inspired at all, so I doubt the Iguanodon will be Disney inspired.

CityRaptor

Exactly.

Geez, I'll quote myself here:
Quote from: CityRaptor on December 02, 2016, 08:28:12 PM
I dunno. Papo only ever bases one figure on Disneysaur, the Pachyrhinosaurus. Some also claim that about the Brachio, but that is mostly JP inspired. Schleich meanwhile has both a Carnotaurus and a Styracosaurus based on it. ( And sadly not on one of the good ones )
Oh no

stargatedalek

Quote from: Rain on December 03, 2016, 02:43:16 PM

It actually does look significantly better. Even with this degree of blurring (which is a lot more blurred than the Papo) it's possible to see the lovely blending of the colourscheme and the subtlety of the details (you can't see all the details, but you can tell they're appropriately subtle). The Papo image on the other hand shows heavily exaggerated folds of skin and a pastel toned paint app with very little blending or patterning ala Schleich

If this was set to be a small figure the exaggerated details would be understandable, but it's going to be 17.5cm long. And it's not like these folds of skin are in places where they could be display structures of any sort, they're just scattered across the entire animal and I find them very detracting.

Rain

You're right, it is significantly more blurred now that I look at it , haha. Here's a better version

suspsy

I still intend on waiting until I see a clear photo before passing final judgment. I'll still be getting it no matter what. Need more herbivores in the Papo lineup.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Verahin

The first post on this thread says that Acrocanthosaurus and Iguanodon are confirmed, but is there any official claim - I mean from the company - that those two are going to be released in 2017? Or is it still all derived from this interview (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3912.20) from October 2015?

According to the translation in that thread, the sculptor says: "I'll be sculpting Acrocanthosaurus next year" (meaning 2016) and to a further question regarding Iguanodon says: "I have not started an Iguanodon yet. If I start next year, probably it'll be out in 2017". So all we know is that the Acro must have been sculpted this year, and scheduled for 2017, and an Iguanodon was only planned by the sculptor, as much as a Giganotosaurus was also planned, according to another interview (http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3437.0) from earlier 2015.

We only have that blurred catalogue image of the Polacanthus, which came out of nowhere since there's no mention of it in those interviews. Papo 2017 line up might turn out as a total surprise as far as we know, people is even sure that there are going to be three new models, but Papo have released only two in 2015 and up to six in 2012, though from different sculptors, we really can expect everything.

hao_bao

Quote from: masakira on December 02, 2016, 11:42:49 PM

Has it not occurred to you that some of us like to speculate and use this forum for it's actual purpose of discussing dinosaurs toys released or unreleased? Has it also not occurred to you that by writing this comment you might have disappointed others not unlike yourself, who might be thinking that your comment might be the 'it'?

pfft

This is a weird comment to make. I'm with the op, I check here for release news.

Saurox

Quote from: hao_bao on December 04, 2016, 12:35:14 PM
Quote from: masakira on December 02, 2016, 11:42:49 PM

pfft

This is a weird comment to make. I'm with the op, I check here for release news.

Which is fine so long as you acknowledge other posters also like to speculate and discuss.

Also, I got a reply from everything dinosaur stating  'apart from the leaked Polacanthus image that has already been published, they are not able to comment on any other Papo releases, they are currently under embargo for a couple more weeks'(sic).

So possibly two weeks till we find out what's what, (unless their are anymore early leaks).

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: