News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

Quote from: Neosodon on December 08, 2016, 05:57:18 PM
Quote from: The Atroxious on December 08, 2016, 04:01:25 PM
Is it just me or are Papo's paint jobs getting worse by the year? First there was the 2016 Baryonyx with its cheap looking paintjob, now we have this Polacanthus with patternless, flat colors, and the only "details" are made with a grey wash over the body. It also seems weirdly metallic in these photos. I normally like iridescent touches applied to figures, but this looks unnatural, less like an animal and more like a vehicle.
Well said. I was thinking the same thing. Collecta Gastonia is way prettier and more colorfull while Safari Saurapelta is way better detailed, painted and more realistic.

I know allot of you like papo but I find the line overall a major disappointment. The models are durable and high quality but still bad. Allot of the paint jobs a dull and resemble the colors you would see in a gravel pit more than the colors you would expect on a dinosaur. You can get a model of the same quality from another company for half the price. The thing that bugs me the most is some of the poses. If Dilophosaurus tried to do this in real life I think it would snap its tail and dislocate its back leg. The Styracosaurus looks like its choking to death and the Ankylosaurus looks constipated. I apologize if I've offended any papo fans, I'm not usually this negative but this is just the way I've felt for a long time. I have papo Parasauralophus and running T Rex and I like them both but papo certainly has room for some improvements.

Have you ever held any other Papo in hand other than the Dilo, Para and running T-rex? (the Para is first gen and the Running T-rex is simply a weird anomaly of sorts) These models are like mini-sculptures. The Dimetrodon, Pachyrhinosaurus, Tupuxuara and Apatosaurus are works of art and you can not find the level of craftsmanship "from another company for half the price".

The Atroxious

Quote from: Patrx on December 08, 2016, 05:01:28 PM
Quote from: postsaurischian on December 08, 2016, 04:03:05 PM
One possibility for the very critical collectors would be to stop buying toy figures and start buying high end models. There are plenty of them nowadays.
A valid point, but there is a bit of a cost difference, hah.

The new Papo Polocanthus does seem a little ...different from other Papo dinosaurs. Maybe it was designed by whoever made those underwhelming marine reptiles a few years back?

There's also the fact that most of the high-end figures are not as current on scientific accuracy as a lot of toys, unless you're trying to hunt down a limited release resin model by a specific artist, which tend to be even more expensive than many common "high end" figures, on top of which there is the issue of fragility.

As much as I want the David Krentz Therizinosaurus or the Paleocraft Concavenator resin models, I can't see myself purchasing either soon since they're relatively small and very fragile for the price. I'd need a much bigger apartment with places to safely store them, and a lot more money than I have to safely throw at any figure I want to feel justified in hunting them down. Realistically, I'll probably sculpt my own versions of those dinosaurs (technically I already started on a therizinosaur sculpture) instead. More time-consuming, but easier on the budget, and enjoyable too.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 08, 2016, 04:57:30 PM
Again, keep calm and and do something. It's way too early to say "Papo WAS known". There are still two more reveals.

It's funny: If this was Schleich, some people would call it the best Schleich ever.

If you opened a piece of chocolate and it smelled like chocolate, it would be considered normal. If you opened a piece of chocolate and it smelled like a dead possum, the reaction wouldn't be the same.

If we get a new papo dinosaur and it is amazingly sculpted, it is considered normal. If we get a new papo dinosaur and it looks like a schliech figure, the reaction should not be the same.

Derek.McManus

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 08, 2016, 01:26:25 PM
Given that the Polacanthus originally came out of the blue, I think it is save to assume that it was sculpted by a different sculptor. Probably the same one who made the Minis and Marine Reptiles. The style at least seems to match. Still a lot better than CollectA's or Geoworld's.

Prehaps companys like Papo and Schleich should make it clear who has sculpted each of the figures? When I modelled / gamed with Games Workshop figures a while back it was always clear who was responsible for each range, different sculptors had their own styles which suited different ranges.

The only other comparison I can draw from the modelling world at the moment is from the model railway hobby where those who greatly appreciate accuracy not only in the models but in the setting time period etc and are sometimes referred to as 'rivet counters'

suspsy

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 08, 2016, 05:44:25 PM
On the other hand it is said by the forums that gastonia (belonging to the dark age of Collecta) is worse than Papo polacanthus, for me from the scientific and anatomical point I consider collecta gastonia better than Papo polacanthus.

You must have some other CollectA ankylosaur in mind, as the Gastonia is from 2014 and very well regarded:

http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/01/16/gastonia-collecta/
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Blade-of-the-Moon

I bet if you repainted this in the colors of the Anky everyone would, if not love it, like it a lot more.  because it then would look more "realistic" .

Verahin

I'm personally relieved to see this proper picture of the Polacanthus, I realize that the blurred one did worry me way too much, and now that we have the detail revealed I find it pretty nice. Not going to be one of my favourite Papos, sure, but matches perfectly its armored pal Ankylosaurus and they'll look pretty cool side by side.

To be honest I can't understand why people find it less detailed than the Safari Sauropelta or Collecta Gastonia, or worse, a piece of Schleich quality. But tastes are tastes, to each their own. Another thing I don't understand is why someone bring up Papos dynamic poses as unreal and unpleasant, as if other brands don't give such poses to their models, and then complain when a figure is rendered in a more neutral way like this Polacanthus.

Don't see that difference in style with other Papos actually, assuming that the whole line except marine reptiles and prehistoric mammals is from the same sculptor I think this one fits in perfectly with the others. If you look at the spikes up the back, those right behind the head, they look pretty similar to the homologue Ankylosaurus spikes, so I tend to believe the sculptor is the same. To me the colour looks cool, again if you praise the Safari Sauropelta that is full glossy yellow, why disliking this mix of violet and blue?

Bringing up some speculation I think that this one might be in place of the rumored Iguanodon, it's just a feeling I have and I could be totally wrong, we'll see it. Either way I would love to have another surprise by Papo, possibly a small feathered theropod. They could do a feathered Oviraptor, or call it simply Citipati, to avoid this "feathered (species name)" thing it is going on with dino models, as if you'd call something a "feathered eagle". And while we're at it, I was browsing through other users collections yesterday and found this http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.0 ... it reminded me immediately of the Papo Velociraptor, the head is pretty similar, notice the ridges up before the eyes, and also the thin feathering over the body and the plumage on the wings feels reminiscent. Didn't know this Sideshow piece, but knowing Papo has been inspired by them for Carnotaurus, Tupuxaura and Apatosaurus, I think it's pretty fair to say it's the same with the raptor. So, since the Papo Velociraptor is posed like it's about to jump at something why not giving him a Protoceratops to fight with?

Takama

Quote from: Verahin on December 08, 2016, 08:26:04 PM
I'm personally relieved to see this proper picture of the Polacanthus, I realize that the blurred one did worry me way too much, and now that we have the detail revealed I find it pretty nice. Not going to be one of my favourite Papos, sure, but matches perfectly its armored pal Ankylosaurus and they'll look pretty cool side by side.

To be honest I can't understand why people find it less detailed than the Safari Sauropelta or Collecta Gastonia, or worse, a piece of Schleich quality. But tastes are tastes, to each their own. Another thing I don't understand is why someone bring up Papos dynamic poses as unreal and unpleasant, as if other brands don't give such poses to their models, and then complain when a figure is rendered in a more neutral way like this Polacanthus.

Don't see that difference in style with other Papos actually, assuming that the whole line except marine reptiles and prehistoric mammals is from the same sculptor I think this one fits in perfectly with the others. If you look at the spikes up the back, those right behind the head, they look pretty similar to the homologue Ankylosaurus spikes, so I tend to believe the sculptor is the same. To me the colour looks cool, again if you praise the Safari Sauropelta that is full glossy yellow, why disliking this mix of violet and blue?

Finally someone who shares my opinon. Honestly the only thing this model could use is a better paint scheme

Faelrin

I'm okay with this one, now that there's a proper picture. Some markings could probably help to break up the bland paint scheme, but otherwise, the color choice doesn't bother me too much. I've seen worse figures before. Granted I don't think it's the best or most exciting either. Just average or okay.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Verahin

Did the STS user provide some info on where this model come from? I doubt any online retailer sells it already, so maybe an actual store in France or Germany?

It's about time Papo reveals their full 2017 line up though, one model is now fully discovered so why keep on with the suspance?

Neosodon

Quote from: Verahin on December 08, 2016, 08:26:04 PM
I don't remember seeing anyone complain about the pose. I think the pose and the figure overall is quiet nice. If papo gave it a decent paint job instead of a stainless steal colored coating and smoothed the over exaggerated wrinkles under the neck and tail it could be an awesome figure.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

terrorchicken

Its not bad. I dont think its any better or worse than the other Paposaurs.

QuoteAside, from the Colombian Mammoth, the other Mammoths look like all sorts of derp. We can say the Columbian Mammoth was super-accurate, because Papo exhibited remarkable foresight to predict years in advance...the so-called reddish fur color of the Mammoths.

what Colombian mammoth? do you mean the "steppe" mammoth?

Saurox

Can't wait to see the next releases  ;D

Rain

I think it looks OK, the detailing isn't as refined as it usually is but it's not horrible, I guess. The color scheme is also pretty bland, reminds me of cough syrup. I don't think it's as bad as everyone is making it out to be, though.

Silvanusaurus

Man, talk about overreactions! Sure, this doesn't look as dynamic or intricately detailed as most Papo's, and within the context of their other models it's aesthetically underwhelming and personally I'd say quite uninteresting, but it's hardly some kind of offensive travesty. Personally I don't think it's as boring or awkward looking as most of what CollectA releases every year, including their reveals for this year, yet nobody seems to care about these same aesthetic issues when it's CollectA!  ::) Besides, it's just one figure, it's ridiculous to infer that this is somehow a sign of impending doom for the whole brand.

DinoToyForum

I think the Polacanthus looks awesome! I really do. But then I always loved this genus. :D Great choice by Papo, something a little different.

I agree with Postsaurischian - if this model doesn't meet your standards then maybe high end statues are a better option for you. :P It certainly meets my standards for a dinosaur toy worth acquiring!

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on December 08, 2016, 10:54:24 PM
Its not bad. I dont think its any better or worse than the other Paposaurs.

QuoteAside, from the Colombian Mammoth, the other Mammoths look like all sorts of derp. We can say the Columbian Mammoth was super-accurate, because Papo exhibited remarkable foresight to predict years in advance...the so-called reddish fur color of the Mammoths.

what Colombian mammoth? do you mean the "steppe" mammoth?

Yes, I meant the "steppe" mammoth.

Gwangi

I quite like it, it's not an "awesome bro" rendition like their Ankylosaurus and most other Papo toys and it's great to finally have a decent Polocanthus on the market.

stargatedalek

I don't think it's fair at all to say "if you don't like it you should buy expensive model kits instead". Barring the obvious that some people just don't have that kind of money to drop on kits or might prioritize durability in their pieces, everyone is allowed to have things they dislike. I know for sure many of you have had complaints about figures before and fallen back on "everyone can have their own opinion" when people said similar things, so I must admit I'm caught quite off guard by this sentiment. I don't see anyone saying that no one is allowed to like this piece, or that it spells the end of Papo, just that it's quite different from their usual style of dinosaurs.

Everyone will have different tastes, based on not only their priorities but also their preconceptions and what they're used to. I've always been exposed to smaller animals like fish birds and reptiles, that's the sort of stuff I'm used to seeing, so when a figure takes influence from something I'm not so used to or have less of a preexisting interest in, such as pachyderms, horses, or dogs, I'm inevitably going to find it less appealing. I'm that person who goes to a zoo and spends an hour in the crayfish hall but skips the big-ticket safari species. So perhaps it's just the "herbivorous mammal avoid-er" in me, but I can't get over the flaps of skin or perfectly aligned digits. Even if they were explicitly accurate I would still find them unappealing. Whereas the usual style of Papo figures, drawing on the heavily reptilian influenced depictions of dinosaurs are something I'm more preinclined to find aesthetically pleasing, even if my other priorities sometimes come ahead of aesthetic detail.

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 08, 2016, 05:53:17 PMThis post sounds a bit exaggerated to me.
The Tupux and the Apato are accurate, or at least as accurate as any model made by rival companies. Yes, I realize the Tupux is missing pycnofibres just like the Sideshow version. The Dilopho has pronated arms just like the WS version...etc...etc. but the word, 'accurate' becomes rendered useless if we become accuracy literalists. If we entertain this level of excess literalism, every CollectA theropod should now be regarded as inaccurate because they are all shrink-wrapped---and, again that would be a silly assessment on our part.
The Dimetro has scales, but others have contested that it is still valid as per paleontology. Aside, from the Colombian Mammoth, the other Mammoths look like all sorts of derp. We can say the Columbian Mammoth was super-accurate, because Papo exhibited remarkable foresight to predict years in advance...the so-called reddish fur color of the Mammoths.
Nit-picky yes, I certainly am, but I don't think it's an exaggeration to say Papo has yet to create an accurate extinct dinosaur. Being the closest to accurate doesn't make it accurate, the Apatosaurus and Tuxuara have inaccuracies that contradict known data, regardless of whether or not anyone else has done better. The same of course goes for CollectA and their grim reaper faces.

fason

well , there kinda are posts that are saying its the end of papos quality , just look at the wording "papo was the highly detailed company" etc , etc ... just putting it out there  :P

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: