News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo New for 2017

Started by Takama, November 04, 2016, 08:44:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tanystropheus

While Neosodon was respectful and courteous as far as responses go, please review the original statement:

I appreciate papo's effort in detail and quality but I think the company compares to schleich in the sense that their focus is toward younger children who want big ferocious looking monsters rather than smaller scientifically accurate dinosaurs.

The structure of the sentence seems to mask a backhanded insult/compliment. It begins with the general disclaimer [I know this is the case...but (insert negative statement to nullify original compliment)] and continues with a recurrent theme ("ferocious looking monsters") found in the forum, namely, that Papo dinosaurs are "hollywood monster caricatures", Kaijū etc. This perspective is problematic in that it reveals an inbuilt bias [that Papos must conform to preset stereotypes, and will adhere to that formula, despite (ongoing) evidence to suggest that Papo has been drawing inspiration from Sideshow and some scientific literature]. This also ignores the fact that there are "smaller scientifically accurate dinosaurs" within Papo's portfolio (e.g. Tupuxuara, a model on par with the Sideshow version, as far as accuracy is concerned...the Papo Feathered Velociraptor seems to have a skull shape that is more reasonably aligned with skeletal restorations etc.). My (supposedly, biased) response instilled in you a desire to defend Neosodon's (supposedly, biased) opinion. The main difference is that you were motivated to defend Neosodon because they spoke from the position of opinion while I spoke (perhaps, prematurely) from the position of authority (since, I appeared to make a claim rather than an opinion), despite the fact that both of our statements can be construed as biased. However, by defending a particular biased position, you ended up confirming/reinforcing your presumed biases in the process.

CrypticPrism

I'm gonna try to cool down the arguments.

My opinions on the new papo models are  relatively good, All of the Mesozoic animals are pretty cool. The smilodon, though, is probably the best toy ever made of Satan. Wait, that's an insult to Satan. The cave bear looks kind of poorly made to me, maybe it's just bad photo quality. The dimorphodon isn't very glaringly JW to me as it is to others, and I might pick it up. The repaints are just repaints. I like the polacanthus up until the mouth, it reminds me of some kind of alien, although it's good overall. The cryolophosaurus is amazing, I'll definitely buy it. The acro's color scheme looks amazing, and I'm getting it too, as well as the beautiful ceratosaurus.
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Sim

@tanystropheus:  I'm only going reply to some of the things you've said as I don't have time (or desire) to get into a long discussion.

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 23, 2017, 01:15:41 AM
This perspective is problematic in that it reveals an inbuilt bias [that Papos must conform to preset stereotypes, and will adhere to that formula, despite (ongoing) evidence to suggest that Papo has been drawing inspiration from Sideshow and some scientific literature].

I think there are recurring features among Papo prehistoric figures, but I think people tend to judge Papo figures individually rather than thinking they must have certain features because they're a Papo figure.

My (supposedly, biased) response instilled in you a desire to defend Neosodon's (supposedly, biased) opinion. The main difference is that you were motivated to defend Neosodon because they spoke from the position of opinion while I spoke (perhaps, prematurely) from the position of authority (since, I appeared to make a claim rather than an opinion), despite the fact that both of our statements can be construed as biased.

As you said, Neosodon did speak from the position of opinion while you spoke from the position of authority.  Additionally though, I felt it wasn't fair or nice to tell him to "Stop feeding the stereotypical image" and to call what he said "nonsense".  It's because of this that I commented.

However, by defending a particular biased position, you ended up confirming/reinforcing your presumed biases in the process.

I don't think so.  I gave ample evidence for why I'm not convinced by what you said about Papo's audience.  And I don't think it's being biased to dislike seeing people treated unkindly.  Even if I disagree with you about certain things, I am glad you're a member here, tanystropheus.  I do feel though that sometimes some members here have been unkind to other members when they don't like something prehistoric animal-related they said, often toy-related, which I think isn't right or necessary.  If one disagrees with another here, why not challenge what was said without being offensive to the other person, instead?  Maybe I'm wishing for something unrealistic though.

stargatedalek

I agree with tanystropheus, if you re-read the comment all of this was in reply to that comment was particularly dismissive and even somewhat inflammatory. I feel like the tough stance response was justified.

Shonisaurus

Leaving for what concerns me and not because I am not interested in the discussion concluding that nobody of those who belong to the forum leaves us indifferent this year Papo figures, I am surprised that this year have not yet released any figure nor so Even taken from the toy fairs the dimorphodon Papo we only have news of his promotional photography.

It would be interesting if Papo or someone released figures of the dimorphodon more explicit than its promotional figure. And coinciding with members of the forum the 2017 smilodon of Papo is certainly the weakest figure of this year as far as prehistoric animals and dinosaurs are concerned with that company. I hope that Papo will resurrect another figure much better than this 2017 smilodon and I say it with all my respect to the company and taking into account as I said that I recognize my poor knowledge in paleontology.

Reptilia

Looking at people's pics I noticed the Ceratosaurus doesn't have the turquoise shade over the back that's visible in the catalogue shot. Seems like they simply opted for a dark green, which isn't necessarily a bad choice.

Everything_Dinosaur

The first of the 2017 Papo models are now in stock at Everything Dinosaur, they are the Papo Polcanthus, blue Oviraptor and the blue Velociraptor.  We also have a few of the special collector's edition Papo box set which includes the Papo Brown T.rex and the blue Oviraptor remaining.

All Everything Dinosaur's Papo models here: Papo Dinosaur and Prehistoric Animal Models

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on March 27, 2017, 05:18:07 PM
The first of the 2017 Papo models are now in stock at Everything Dinosaur, they are the Papo Polcanthus, blue Oviraptor and the blue Velociraptor.  We also have a few of the special collector's edition Papo box set which includes the Papo Brown T.rex and the blue Oviraptor remaining.

All Everything Dinosaur's Papo models here: Papo Dinosaur and Prehistoric Animal Models

Is there a known date for when you will stock the Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus?

MLMjp

About the educational claims of Papo, for years a lot of members have "defended" papo model´s inaccuracies because they did not claim that their figures were educational, it seems this is no longer true, the inevitable comparison with Schleich comes out (Oh they claim to be educational, but their figures are inaccurate! UHHH). But I must say that even with that there´s something in Papo that make them a better company in my opinion, so despite this being in a similar situation to Schleich now I still respect Papo more than Schleich. At least they do not force their rivals out of the stores ::) And they maintain a good standard of quality. Plus sometimes show a care for accuracy (but not always unfortunately).

And now moving away from educational claims discussions. I have already seen some pretty good photos and comparisons in some members collection threads. And I must say that the new Ceratosaurus and Acrocanthosaurus are phenomenal. The colors are really vibrant, I complained about the Acro posture but now I really like it and IMO the head does not look as weird as some members pointed out when the first on hand photos came out. The Acrocanthosaurus is a must buy for me. However that can not be said about the Ceratosaurus, as gorgeous as it is thanks to some comparison photos I see that it is bigger than I expected (the first on hand photo, the one with the hand holding the figure, made it look smaller). Thus I believe that it is too big to fit in the scale range of my collection. Maybe my opinion will change later, but for now, as much as I like it, I think I will have to pass.

PD: May some members could post some photos from their collection threads here so people can see how good the figures look??

Sim

Quote from: MLMjp on March 27, 2017, 06:38:24 PM
About the educational claims of Papo, for years a lot of members have "defended" papo model´s inaccuracies because they did not claim that their figures were educational, it seems this is no longer true, the inevitable comparison with Schleich comes out (Oh they claim to be educational, but their figures are inaccurate! UHHH). But I must say that even with that there´s something in Papo that make them a better company in my opinion, so despite this being in a similar situation to Schleich now I still respect Papo more than Schleich. At least they do not force their rivals out of the stores ::) And they maintain a good standard of quality. Plus sometimes show a care for accuracy (but not always unfortunately).

Well said, MLMjp.  I completely agree.  In particular, I remember members "defending" the inaccuracy of Papo prehistoric figures for the reason that Papo didn't claim their figures were educational.  I think it's good to know how a company markets their figures.

Reptilia

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on March 27, 2017, 05:18:07 PM
The first of the 2017 Papo models are now in stock at Everything Dinosaur, they are the Papo Polcanthus, blue Oviraptor and the blue Velociraptor.

Good! Any chance to have the Cryolophosaurus, Dimorphodon and the two mammals available before the summer? Another UK based retailer claims to have the full 2017 line-up in stock by the end of april.

Everything_Dinosaur

The new for 2017 Papo Acrocanthosaurus and the Papo Ceratosaurus have joined the Polcanthus, blue Velociraptor and the blue Oviraptor dinosaur models in the Everything Dinosaur warehouse.

Five of the 2017 Papo models are now available from Everything Dinosaur: Papo Prehistoric Animal Models

Cloud the Dinosaur King

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on March 31, 2017, 03:55:55 PM
The new for 2017 Papo Acrocanthosaurus and the Papo Ceratosaurus have joined the Polcanthus, blue Velociraptor and the blue Oviraptor dinosaur models in the Everything Dinosaur warehouse.

Five of the 2017 Papo models are now available from Everything Dinosaur: Papo Prehistoric Animal Models
Wow! I can't wait to get them! These are incredible models.

Shadowknight1

Has anyone from the US bought from urtzeitshop before?  And if so, how long did it take your package to get to you?  It's been almost a fortnight since it shipped...
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 01, 2017, 01:26:20 PM
Has anyone from the US bought from urtzeitshop before?  And if so, how long did it take your package to get to you?  It's been almost a fortnight since it shipped...

As for the sending of packages can happen several things:

The package was sent with the data of the interested party and / or the wrong address so you have to contact the sender in case the shipment does not arrive.

The shipment may have been lost due to transport problems.

It is also possible that the consignment is held in customs and unfortunately negligent and there are irregularities of both the postal service and the customs network of the country itself or a foreigner.

The important thing is to contact the sender and be patient I say it from my own experience, I do have to confess that with all the senders I have contacted I have had no problems. That one should be civilized and behave as a normal and mature person.

Those are my advice in case the shipment does not arrive.

For my part I have not gotten me packages of ebay mainly due to problems of foreign and domestic customs.

My opinion contact the sender Miron is a great person and will solve all the problems in case you have bought with urzeitshop. To me for my part they gave me problems packages that came from the USA and the senders solved it to me. The only solution is to have patience and not obsess.

CrypticPrism

Papo polacanthus is available on amazon!
"Tip for flirting: carve your number into a potato and roll it towards eligible females you wish to court with."
"Reading is just staring at a dead piece of wood for hours and hallucinating
My DeviantArt: flipplenup.deviantart.com

Halichoeres

I placed an order with them a few years ago. I looked at my old emails and it seems it took about 3 weeks for it to reach me (via DHL).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Moodyraptor

Has anyone got the blue velociraptor yet, who also has the rainbow rex and raptor set from 2015? Just wondering if the new blue raptor is identical to the limited addition one or not.  I have a feeling it has more more blue on it.

Takama

Quote from: Moodyraptor on April 01, 2017, 06:38:39 PM
Has anyone got the blue velociraptor yet, who also has the rainbow rex and raptor set from 2015? Just wondering if the new blue raptor is identical to the limited addition one or not.  I have a feeling it has more more blue on it.

ITs the exact same version as the Exclusive one from 2015

Shadowknight1

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 01, 2017, 05:20:18 PM
I placed an order with them a few years ago. I looked at my old emails and it seems it took about 3 weeks for it to reach me (via DHL).
Then I'll give it another week just in case before I panic.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: