News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PNSO new for 2017

Started by acro-man, January 10, 2017, 07:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

Quote from: Simon on January 30, 2017, 05:00:25 PM

I'll chime in since I realize I started the "two books thing".  When I got my PNSO TRex last week, I noticed that an English language version of the big glossy book had been placed on top of the outside of the box, then wrapped onto it by cellophane.

When I opened the box, the Chinese version of the book was inside.

So it looks to me that the person who was fullfiling my order added the English book because he/she realized that my package had the Chinese book inside.  My guess would be that if the English book was on the inside, that is all I would have received. Probably they intend to have both variants, depending on where the box is being shipped.

So my guess would be that sending two books was an exception in my case, because they realized that the package they were sending had the wrong language book for my country.

Just a guess.

My understanding from contacting them before I purchased the T. rex was that they had the English book already printed but hadn't yet got to the stage of having the English book boxed up with the model.

Simon

Just read the Tyrannosaurus Wilson book.  Awesome illustrations, good basic discussion of various TRex theories, and some very nice paintings of various Tyrannosaur species, most of them with some feathering.

Commentary states that TRexes probably had some feathering, perhaps for display, but that so far the skin impressions of known TRexes and Tarbosaurs (tail, belly, upper thigh) lack them - hence "Wilson" was reconstructed without them.

Oh, and BTW - "Wilson" is actually - "STAN" (it is reconstructed based on the "Stan" skeleton.)

suspsy

Quote from: Simon on January 31, 2017, 04:05:47 AM
Just read the Tyrannosaurus Wilson book.  Awesome illustrations, good basic discussion of various TRex theories, and some very nice paintings of various Tyrannosaur species, most of them with some feathering.

Commentary states that TRexes probably had some feathering, perhaps for display, but that so far the skin impressions of known TRexes and Tarbosaurs (tail, belly, upper thigh) lack them - hence "Wilson" was reconstructed without them.

Oh, and BTW - "Wilson" is actually - "STAN" (it is reconstructed based on the "Stan" skeleton.)

According to Matthew Martyniuk, Paul Sereno took a careful look at the T. rex skin impression and concluded that it doesn't consist of real scales, but rather skin similar to that of a plucked chicken, and therefore could have bore feathers in life. Unfortunately, he hasn't published anything on this topic.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Rain

Quote from: suspsy on January 31, 2017, 04:31:35 AM
Quote from: Simon on January 31, 2017, 04:05:47 AM

According to Matthew Martyniuk, Paul Sereno took a careful look at the T. rex skin impression and concluded that it doesn't consist of real scales, but rather skin similar to that of a plucked chicken, and therefore could have bore feathers in life. Unfortunately, he hasn't published anything on this topic.

I'm not so sure about that, I read a blog post a while back that made distinction between naked skin and scales and suggested that the skin impressions found were probably scales.

It's lengthy but an interesting read if you have the time
http://reptilis.net/2012/07/23/feathers-on-the-big-feathers-on-the-small-but-feathers-for-dinosaurs-one-and-all/

Regardless of this, I welcome both feathered and featherless interpretations of T rex

suspsy

Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on January 30, 2017, 05:21:18 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 30, 2017, 10:36:10 AM
I know it's wrong, but that video kind of sold me on their first large Tyrannosaurus. There's something in the sheer strangeness of it that gets me.

I really like the strange and retro look of the PNSO "big" Tyrannosaurus too..  ;)

Robin, your stunning photograph has confirmed my need to acquire this odd duck of a figure, thank you!  :))

sauroid

the first PNSO T. rex is actually very stunning and beautiful. only the most anal retentive would diss this figure. just saying.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

terrorchicken

its like a cross b/w a retro 60s/70s era rex and a 90s one.

Dobber

Just a heads up, I have that release as well and mine doesn't look anything like that. Maybe it is a repaint. The paint is very plain and bland on mine. As for the pose, it's like some of Papo's rescent offerings, I just think it is rearing up and about to come down on some poor victims neck.  ;)

Looking at that picture is making me want to go and repaint mine now  8)

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

sauroid

you're right about the rearing-about to pounce-about to give the headdeathcrunch pose of that rex without PNSO intending it to appear like a tail dragger/retroish.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Neven Florian

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on January 31, 2017, 03:13:12 PM
I know it's wrong, but that video kind of sold me on their first large Tyrannosaurus. There's something in the sheer strangeness of it that gets me.

I really like the strange and retro look of the PNSO "big" Tyrannosaurus too..  ;)

Robin, your stunning photograph has confirmed my need to acquire this odd duck of a figure, thank you!  :))

Is this tyrannosaurus a repainted one or a new version of the 2016 one ?  :)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Neven Florian on January 31, 2017, 09:12:02 PM

Good point. The colors look quite vibrant in this photo (compared to all other photos of the model). Is this picture digitally enhanced? repainted model?

Simon

Quote from: tanystropheus on February 01, 2017, 04:54:07 AM
Good point. The colors look quite vibrant in this photo (compared to all other photos of the model). Is this picture digitally enhanced? repainted model?

I think its a repaint.  Those of us who purchased the early version all got the dark colored one without any of the orange hues you see above.  This photo popped up after the model had been around for a while, so its probably the second run with an improved paint job.

I believe the very first run of the Triceratops issued by PNSO did not have the gold frill highlights either, probably for the same reason.  At least they are willing to try and fix the paintups, which are pretty nondescript for their larger vinyl models (Chunkingosaurus excepted).

The new "TRex Wilson" is another story altogether.  A 1000% improvement!!!!

RobinGoodfellow

No, it's a regular figure.
I bought it on Amazon on December and I received it in January.
No enhancing, just my usual still-life setup with my light-box...
I don't know if PNSO upgraded the paint job but my Rex looks like that...

Dobber

Wow! :o

I feel a bit ripped off now. That looks SOOOO much better than the one I got from an order I placed in Sept. that's the first time I've seen that figure look like that.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Neven Florian

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on February 01, 2017, 05:25:53 PM

No, it's a regular figure.
I bought it on Amazon on December and I received it in January.
No enhancing, just my usual still-life setup with my light-box...
I don't know if PNSO upgraded the paint job but my Rex looks like that...

So did you buy the brown version ? It means you received a special colour ? I hope PNSO will make a new sale with this special colour, it would be great ! :)

Silvanusaurus

Can somebody remind me why the PNSO's are not available on Amazon.co.uk at the minute? I recall seeing something about the Chinese New Year but I can't remember what the situation was.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 01, 2017, 06:57:27 PM
Can somebody remind me why the PNSO's are not available on Amazon.co.uk at the minute? I recall seeing something about the Chinese New Year but I can't remember what the situation was.

Yeah, the entire staff (and most of the country) are off for 7 days for the lunar new year.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 01, 2017, 07:44:04 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 01, 2017, 06:57:27 PM

Yeah, the entire staff (and most of the country) are off for 7 days for the lunar new year.

When are the 7 days up?

ceratopsian

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on February 01, 2017, 07:45:40 PM

When are the 7 days up?

They say they will be back on Amazon on 4th February, according to their Facebook page.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: