News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Which Old Versions Would You Most Want To See Updated?

Started by suspsy, February 23, 2017, 02:46:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

I've got the new Deluxe Styracosaurus en route to me from Minizoo and it got me wondering which other dinosaurs CollectA will update in the future. There's quite a lot of pre-2012 products that frankly warrant replacing. Some of my top picks would be:

Alioramus
Ankylosaurus
Baryonyx
Brachiosaurus
Iguanodon
Pachyrhinosaurus

And for Wild Safari, I'd love to see new and improved versions of:

Gorgosaurus
Stegosaurus
Triceratops
Utahraptor

What about the rest of you?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

sauroid

Papo's T. rexes and Spinosaurus.

CollectA's Dilophosaurus, Gigantoraptor, Oviraptor and Allosaurus
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

BlueKrono

I'd be pretty excited about a new Alioramus. They could really put a lot more detail into the new sculpt, like Rebor's Acrocanthosaurus.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Jose S.M.

All the ones in Supsy's post plus Achelousaurus, Chasmosaurus, Camptosaurus, Tenontosaurus, Majungasaurus and Rugops.
Some of those are not that bad but don't hold up to what CollectA does now.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Nanuqsaurus

I think we can expect a feathered Papo Tyrannosaurus at some point, it'd be a smart move for them if they want to compete with Safari and CollectA. I also think Papo should make a new Spinosaurus. Their Triceratops needs updating too, maybe even a change in colors would be good enough.

Jose S.M.

Quote from: SuperiorSpider on February 23, 2017, 03:37:29 PM
I´d say CollectA´s Ouranosaurus desperately needs an update.

I agree so much! I forgot about that one.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Joe289 on February 23, 2017, 03:50:39 PM
Quote from: SuperiorSpider on February 23, 2017, 03:37:29 PM
I´d say CollectA´s Ouranosaurus desperately needs an update.

I agree so much! I forgot about that one.

Agreed.  Battat is still the best Ouranosaurus around..we really need a new one.

Silvanusaurus

CollectA Baryonyx, Megalosaurus, Becklespinax, Eotyrannus, Proceratosaurus... all the British theropods... all currently in varying states of concentrated ugliness. 

Pachyrhinosaurus

It was a bit harder to come up with a list than I thought since most of the companies/lines I like aren't too active anymore if at all, but for those that are:

WS pachycephalosaurus
Gorgosaurus
Spinosaurus
Stegosaurus
Triceratops
Leptoceratops
Geosternbergia
Utahraptor
Allosaurus

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Daspletotyrannus

Safari Ltd
Nigersaurus
Gorgosaurus
Allosaurus
Protoceratops  (I want a re release of the Authentic one if anything)
Hypacrosaurus
Triceratops
Stegosaurus
Kentrosaurus
Edmontosaurus
Styracosaurus
Pachycephalosaurus
Utahraptor

CollectA
Olorotitan
Ouranosaurus
Daspletosaurus
Utahraptor

Reptilia

I'd say there are plenty of Collectas in desperate need of an update, but my most wanted would be: Allosaurus, Pachyrhinosaurus, Tylosaurus and Velociraptor.

Also Papo should remake some of their classics that are blatantly inspired by JP, like T-Rex, Triceratops and Spinosaurus. But except for a feathered T-Rex, which will happen sooner or later, I think is more likely for them to make similar or related genera. I believe that their Baryonyx is something along these lines, considering how big the figure is and how the skull is actually resembling more that of a Spinosaurus.

Toasaurus

collecta: gigantoraptor,paralititan,majungasaurus,mapusaurus,rugops lufengosaurus,liliensternus,jobaria,rheotsaurus,irritator

safari: hypacrosaurus,leptoceratops,gorgosaurus

schleich: desmatosuchus,saltasaurus,plateosaurus,shonisaurus,kronosaurus,elasmosaurus

Takama

Wild Safari

Edmontosaurus(needs a Cocks comb now, unless they go with Annectens)

Allosaurus And Dilophosaurus(They look too skinny compared to the modern crop)

Hypacrosaurus

Leptoceratops

Triceratops(Out of date, the other ceratopsians in the line blow it out of the water)

CollectA

Everything from 2006-2010 with some exceptions.  They really need to remake there Core dinosaurs, includeing Stegosaurus and Triceratops, and no, Dead ones and Deluxe versiosn will not cut it for me. for specifics

New Stegosaurus

New Dilophosaurus

New Allosaurus

New Velociraptor

New Brachiosaurus

New Triceratops

New Scelidosaurus(the current one looks more advanced then it should be)

Papo.
Feather there Oviraptor, and maybe remake there Spinosaurus which looks like a compltly diffrent type of animal wehn compared to the Baryonyx

Halichoeres

So far CollectA has only bothered to replace old figures when new material has been described, or in the case of Spinosaurus, quasi-described, that radically alters what we thought an animal looked like. But sometimes they really improve things by making a deluxe version (Neovenator, Parasaurolophus). That gives me little hope for a new Baryonyx from them, despite the absolute horror of both of them. Anyway, here are some I'd especially like them to revisit:

Hydrotherosaurus
Rebbachisaurus
Tenontosaurus
Alioramus
Gigantoraptor
Hylaeosaurus
Wuerhosaurus
Eotyrannus
Majungatholus/Majungasaurus
Rhomaleosaurus

And Safari:
Utahraptor
Gorgosaurus
Hypacrosaurus

Although honestly it doesn't need to be these companies in particular. I'd be happy if any competent company produced new versions of these genera.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

Safari:
Edmontosaurus (all it needs is the fleshy crest and a stiffer tail)
Triceratops (new head, new body, new scale details)
Styracosaurus (the original isn't even in production anymore, so obviously it needs to come back)
Allosaurus (thicker, non-tripod)
Liopleurodon (just needs the tail fluke)
Mosasaurus (new head, better detail, tail fluke)
Rhamphorhynchus (thicker, fluffier)
Stegosaurus (new overall sculpt, after the new body proportions)
Postosuchus (new bipedal, short armed version)
Parasaurolophus... again (new fleshy display organs)
Albertosaurus (feathery, non-tripod) (I consider "Gorgosaurus" a species of Albertosaurus, which is why I called it an Albertosaurus)
Mamenchisaurus (because we all need Mamenchisaurus back ;)
Yangchuanosaurus (new pose, more detail, better sculpt)
Therizinosaurus (feathers, better detail)

CollectA:
Allosaurus (no explanation)
Alioramus (no explanation)
Baryonyx (new proportions, head, arms, etc.)
Parasaurolophus (I feel like CollectA would love the new fleshy display organs on the crest)
Becklespinax (I know its a fragmentary genus, but I feel like they still can do a better version)
Hatzegopteryx (new short-necked version, with rounded wing-tips and a new head sculpt)
Majungasaurus (new dachshund-dino look)
Spinosaurus... again (reflecting the new bipedal Spino)
Tylosaurus (I don't need to explain why for that one)
Shunosaurus (no explanation needed)
Liopleurodon (new head, tail fluke)
Eustreptospondylus (more megalosaurid look)
Muttaburrasaurus (new head, bipedal pose, more rhabdodont look)
Oviraptor (their current one is actually a Citipati, just like so many "Oviraptor" figures...)
Velociraptor (original is feathered, but not updated)
Shall I go on?
I am the Dinosaur King!

suspsy

I can't imagine Safari will be releasing a new Parasaurolophus considering we just got one this year. But what's this about fleshy display organs?

AcroSauroTaurus

It hasn't been officially described yet, but a new Parasaurolophus skull specimen was found to have traces of a fleshy display organ attached to the groove in the sides of the crest, the entire shape isn't known. Some examples:

I am the Dinosaur King!

suspsy

AcroSauroTaurus

The paper has yet to be released, but I heard it should be out soon.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: