News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilSauria

It's not just the level of detail that reminds me of Papo; the colour scheme is very similar to the palette that they tend to favour. I'll reserve judgement on the colour as manufactured until I see one in hand but may well adopt your repaint as inspiration for a repaint of my own should it appear too bright.

postsaurischian

To me it seems that these two photos are of the same repaint. So who is the repainter?
  Or am I wrong :-\?

Quote from: acro-man on January 01, 2018, 02:29:03 PM
decent repaint by "J.Microraptor"

Quote from: spinosaurus1 on December 21, 2017, 01:46:56 AM
more photos of the repainted schleich psittacosaurus. it was done by Cheung Chung Tat

Minmiminime

Ah, Cheung Chung Tat! You're right, that's certainly the same repaint. If it was him, that makes sense. His work has only recently come to my attention and it's blown me away. He's a wonderful palaeoartist, and seems to be very passionate about prehistory and getting his subjects right ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

Honestly the tawa as a theropod is much better than the herrerasaurus and that is not my favorite figure of Schleich 2018.

SidB

Congratulations, Shonisaurus, on passing the 2000 barrier in your posting on the DTF!

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SidB on January 03, 2018, 06:08:57 PM
Congratulations, Shonisaurus, on passing the 2000 barrier in your posting on the DTF!

Thanks dear SidB for me it is an honor to participate in one of the best dinosaur forums in the world.  :)

acro-man

Quote from: postsaurischian on January 02, 2018, 09:13:25 AM

To me it seems that these two photos are of the same repaint. So who is the repainter?
  Or am I wrong :-\?

You are right.
It's done by Cheung, not "J.Microraptor".
"J.Microraptor" quoted Cheung's work in his own post, which I didn't read carefully so I thought it's him.
Thanks for correction.  :)
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Everything_Dinosaur

The majority of the new for 2018 Schleich models are now in stock at Everything Dinosaur.  The new Triceratops, the recoloured Therizinosaurus, plus the new models Psittacosaurus, Oviraptor and the Dinogorgon.   The Tawa hallae figure is due to arrive in a few days.

You can find all the new Schleich models here: Schleich at Everything Dinosaur

Minmiminime

Ooh, I'll be treating myself to an Oviraptor and Psittacosaurus on Thursday night, then ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

tanystropheus

I recently picked up the Dinogorgan (I will also be picking up the Oviraptor and Psittacosaurus).

The Dinogorgan

It's actually a pretty nifty model. I'm no expert in terms of accuracy and stuff, so I can't pretend to comment further on what the model got going for it (or against it).

It already has a place in my tier 1 Schleich collection, along with Dunk, and the Monarch print Quetz (I can't seem to remember if I own a Penta or Kentro   :-[ )

The texture work is quite unlike anything made by Schleich. In short, this model seems more stylized, if anything. It resembles Mattel and Kenner (but not in a cheap way).

The (outer) teeth while kind of gummy are not that different from most Safari models. The inner teeth and palate are relatively detailed. Unfortunately, the outer teeth are blunted with a square finish. I'm not sure if that is a safety measure on their part. The eyes are simple, just blots of black ink.

Good use of musculature - makes the model have a dog (mammalian)- like demeanor.
I would say the model is more visually appealing than the WS Inostrancevia. The aggressive pose makes it a more interesting model.

Overall rating 7.7/10

sauroid

the Dinogorgon's hippo teeth are what's discouraging me and putting me off.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

PhilSauria

I have the Dinogorgon on order at the moment and will be filing the teeth to a sharper point once I have it in hand. The Inostrancevia has been on my shelves for quite a while and in contrast it has some of the sharpest dentition of any 'toy' I've seen.

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on January 09, 2018, 12:49:46 AM
I would say the model is more visually appealing than the WS Inostrancevia.

Agree. Nice little review in general, thanks.

Everything_Dinosaur

The Schleich Tawa figure (T. hallae) is now in stock at Everything Dinosaur: Schleich Tawa Model
Previous size estimates appear to be inaccurate, this model appears to be a little bigger than previously thought, our measurements are length 15 cm approx, head height around 7 cm.

CityRaptor

And another "new" Schleich Set:
https://www.schleich-s.com/de/DE/dinosaurs/produkte/drei-raptoren-auf-der-jagd-72128.html?nosto=nosto-page-category2
The set is called "Three Raptors on the hunt"...and yes, they are calling Compsognathus a Raptor.

Given that the "Velociraptor" is a black ( okay, dark grey ) repaint and the "new" Therizinosaurus is one, too. I wonder if Schleich is starting to move from red repaints to black repaints. Or it is just coincidence and the "Velociraptor" is black because someone at Schleich has seen the Indoraptor and decided to cash in on that.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

This new set of repaints, like the Tyrannosaurus, is labelled as special, what does it mean? I thought that specials were considered the 2018 figures released in advance. I also noticed that the 2012 Tyrannosaurus is still up, you'd think that with the new sculpt they would have finally retired the older version.

CityRaptor

Special is probably still the same. Given how Schleich tends to split their releases now, it probably becomes more available in the second half of 2018.

And indeed one Tyrannosaurus is getting retired, the light green one:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

For some reason I thought this version was discontinued in 2017, thanks for the info.

Minmiminime

The new Oviraptor and Psittacosaurus arrived from ED today ^-^ The Oviraptor has the typical Schleich "chunky" detail but it's very well done, down to there being odd-sized scales on the underside of the feet. There is a lot of detail on this thing, and the seams are barely detectable. It's got a sort of gnarly, warty, murder-chicken vibe. It looks almost like a Harryhausen model brought up to date, somehow. A more complex colour scheme could really make it! It's a huge contrast to Safari's Anzu which I also ordered, but I am impressed!

The Psittacosaurus is very finely detailed, it totally lives up to the catalogue pics. The colour scheme is pretty simple and vibrant, but it's a stunning figure, no two ways about it! I'm very happy with these Schleich models ^-^

Shonisaurus

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 11, 2018, 08:34:12 PM
Special is probably still the same. Given how Schleich tends to split their releases now, it probably becomes more available in the second half of 2018.

And indeed one Tyrannosaurus is getting retired, the light green one:

One of the workers in a toy retail store told me about Schleich tyrannosaurus and triceratops 2018 which is the umpteenth figure that Schleich has made throughout its history.

Triceratops and Tyrannosaurus Schleich 2018 seem to me an improvement on the other versions, but I would also be interested in my case to commercialize great new dinosaurs and not re-editions. It is true, and it is a fortunate fact that they have made great new figures this year such as psittacosaurus, dinogorgon, oviraptor and to a lesser extent tawa, but it is also true that I would like for Schleich's part to risk making new figures of dinosaurs of considerable size, for example a amargasaurus, lambeosaurus or reissues of lesser known dinosaurs and that I know they can do much better as the barapasaurus, herrerasaurus or therizinosaurus (independently that the new therizinosaurus 2018 has improved a lot with their new paint details) .

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: