News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I've become hopeful that Schleich can improve in the near future and get to a more competitive level with Papo, Safari and CollectA, the Psittacosaurus is on that league already and some other new releases are decent like Oviraptor, Dinogorgon and Triceratops. Even their new Tyrannosaurus is an improvement.

sauroid

the modified Psittacosaurus figure by Cheung Chung Tat looks like a resin sculpt. if only the production version by Schleich's painted that way! :o

yes i agree and hope that Schleich is indeed on its way of becoming as good as Papo, CollectA and Safari. hopeful for the Oviraptor (hope it isnt painted as dull as the promo pic) and Dinogorgon. the Triceratops is just average (for me) but will still buy it. the T. rex tho looks like a claymation figure and would never waste money on it. i dont even have to say anything about the Velociraptor.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Reptilia

An incredible customization, I only wonder why he left the nails the same colour of the body. I love the frontal view, what a great head sculpt!

CityRaptor

Oh, the Psittaco looks nice. The Tawa? Not so much.

And looks like there will be a Mini Carnotaurus in 2018, too.

This is a screenshot from a video review ( by RupiBolz ) of the current Schleich Dinosaurs magazine. Specifically it is the preview page from said magazine. The regular version might appear in the second half of 2018.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

Does anyone have the schleich psittacosaurus in hand to throw up some comparison shots with perhaps the carnegie and/or dougs piece from last year? I am interested more in size and scale than which is best type comparison...how the various figures look aside each other. I have always hoped for a similar psittacosaurus model from a different species, in scale to the carnegie or perhaps Safari purely to ......widen the offerings in my own psittacosaurus display
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Sim

Quote from: sauroid on December 21, 2017, 12:44:58 PM
hopeful for the Oviraptor (hope it isnt painted as dull as the promo pic)

Seeing the colour inspiration for the Wild Safari Anzu that was posted recently, led to me finding what I think is the Schleich oviraptorid's colour inspiration, I think it's the reconstruction seen at the start of this article: http://www.artnews.com/2016/05/06/dinosaurs-among-us-at-american-museum-of-natural-history-selected-by-mark-dion/

This has made me notice the Schleich figure's tail fan feathers appear to be a warmer colour on their upper side compared to the figure's main body colour, like in the oviraptorosaur reconstruction I linked to.  It's just not very easy to see on the Schleich figure because the angle of the photo hides most of the upper side of its tail fan feathers.

Irritation

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 21, 2017, 02:46:31 PM
Oh, the Psittaco looks nice. The Tawa? Not so much.

And looks like there will be a Mini Carnotaurus in 2018, too.

This is a screenshot from a video review ( by RupiBolz ) of the current Schleich Dinosaurs magazine. Specifically it is the preview page from said magazine. The regular version might appear in the second half of 2018.
Aw. Dats a cute Carnotaurus.

sauroid

Quote from: Sim on December 21, 2017, 04:22:14 PM
Quote from: sauroid on December 21, 2017, 12:44:58 PM
hopeful for the Oviraptor (hope it isnt painted as dull as the promo pic)

Seeing the colour inspiration for the Wild Safari Anzu that was posted recently, led to me finding what I think is the Schleich oviraptorid's colour inspiration, I think it's the reconstruction seen at the start of this article: http://www.artnews.com/2016/05/06/dinosaurs-among-us-at-american-museum-of-natural-history-selected-by-mark-dion/

This has made me notice the Schleich figure's tail fan feathers appear to be a warmer colour on their upper side compared to the figure's main body colour, like in the oviraptorosaur reconstruction I linked to.  It's just not very easy to see on the Schleich figure because the angle of the photo hides most of the upper side of its tail fan feathers.
i really do hope the Schleich Oviraptor turns out to be as nice as that image (color/paint-wise)...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Reptilia

SidB

Hopefully its just the image quality, but a fair bit of the detail is gone, compared to the original picture. Also, I can't help wondering why the teeth are so blunted (safety issue), yet the tail serves as an eye-gouging dagger (unless its extremely flexible). Odd.

Reptilia

Yes, it doesn't look as good as the promo picture, but it was predictable. Strange they didn't give it an articulated jaw.

IrritatorRaji

That's... really disappointing. I mean, I get that promo pics always look a little better than the figure itself but... that figure looks like a poorly made knock off. The teeth look ridiculous and the details look really smoothed out. But who knows, it might be the photo quality. Hopefully we'll see more photos in the coming weeks.

PhilSauria

Yeah...what happened? Not just me then who is noticing such a big difference between the promo image and an actual production piece. I am reserving further judgement until I see more pics and or a review but so far I'm wondering if this could be grounds for false advertising! I exagerate but just the same it has moved way down my shopping list for 2018.

sauroid

i so agree with everyone's opinion about that Dinogorgon. i am so disappointed, had really high hopes for it. those crappy hippo teeth are so annoyng and ugly af.

Faelrin

Image quality or not, something about it seems off with the proportions compared to the promo pic, aside from the blobby teeth. While I want to see better pics of this one, it does seem disappointing compared to that promo pic. If it really is that orange color, and not the tan color as seen in the promo pic, that's probably enough for me to drop interest in it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Joey

Quote from: Faelrin on December 23, 2017, 06:18:28 AM
Image quality or not, something about it seems off with the proportions compared to the promo pic, aside from the blobby teeth. While I want to see better pics of this one, it does seem disappointing compared to that promo pic. If it really is that orange color, and not the tan color as seen in the promo pic, that's probably enough for me to drop interest in it.
The EBay listing photo seems a bit cloudy or hazy in the quality, so that is probably the reason it seems a bit more 'orangish' in color than the original promo pic.

Nanuqsaurus

Normally I'm not really someone who complains about blunt teeth on dinosaur toys... but these look kinda ridiculous. Almost as if someone cut some bananas in half and glued them in there.

Shonisaurus

To me honestly I think a great figure (in fact I have it) and it is an improvement in relation to Schleich products apart from that it is a new figure of a dark animal made by a toy dinosaur company.

I see it very muscular but it is also true that they could have put details of fluff (being a prehistoric mammal) although that is an appreciation of mine. I think it's almost the same as the safari inostrancevia, I say "almost" because obviously for me Safari's intrastrancevia is superior.

In any case, for me it is not a bad figure, but rather a good figure within Schleich's parameters, taking into account that almost all the dinosaurs of prehistoric toys and animals are destined for the little ones. What can be improved? Everything is improvable in this life but as I said it is a giant leap by the Schleich company.

DinoToyForum

The Dinogorgon reminds me of the Bullyland Procynosuchus, but I'm sure it is just a coincidence.  :)

sauroid

my Schleich shopping list for 2018 is getting shorter after removing the real awful ones (the Tawa and Dinogorgon)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: