News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

REQXY

Does that mean that that mini Carnotaurus will be released sometime soon?
Quote from: CityRaptor on January 16, 2018, 04:04:20 PM
Quote from: Reptilia on January 11, 2018, 08:45:07 PM
For some reason I thought this version was discontinued in 2017, thanks for the info.

Apparently not. According to STS Forum the following are retired as of 2018:
14527 - Carnotaurus
14530 - Velociraptor Green
14529 - Therizinosaurus
14528 - T-Rex light green
All mini dinosaurs

Anyways, magazine version Carnotaurus is out, although I haven't seen one in stores yet:

The comic as usual does a really bad job to make this figure desirable

Not only gets the Carnotaurus defeated by a Theriznosaurus slashing its arms ( the humans act like those are deep wounds, but they look more like scratches ) but it also breaks off a horn when chasing that kid.

And to add even more insult to that injury, there is a poster, too.

Reptilia

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 21, 2018, 08:45:45 PM
I have the Triceratops, Dinogorgon and Psittaca all on order. due to arrive this week (it the quoted ETAs are accurate), liking the larger size of the Triceratops. I've seen a video review and it seems slightly larger than their previous brown horror. Don't think I'll be clearing space on my shelves for the rest of this new line though.

Mind you posting a link to that video review of the Triceratops?

PhilSauria

Sure. The Triceratops, and other Schleichs are part of Dan's unboxing here. He mainly aims his videos at a younger audience but has very good camera work if you want a clear look at new figures you get it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iKkxLOcTays

Reptilia

Oh, it also provides a comparison with the other new figures, thanks!

tanystropheus

:)) He said he prefers the Papo Oviraptor over the Schleich Oviraptor because of its lack of feathers. Hmmm.

Reptilia

Me too! Better a masterfully sculpted retro figure than a poorly executed up-to-date one.

stargatedalek

Personally I think the Papo Oviraptor is terrible, the pose is uninteresting, the design is generic, and it has an egg permanently fused to its hand negating essentially all "play-value". Even though the Schleich Oviraptor is rather plain, and even a bit ugly, it stands out. The Papo one looks like a better executed version of every single dime-store Oviraptor ever but the Schleich is it's own thing.

I would hardly call the Schleich Oviraptor "poorly executed" just because the paint is a bit bland.

tanystropheus

Having both versions (the Papo and Schleich), I would say the Schleich version is a better representation of the animal. The pectoral region is distinctly birdlike and the wings are full-fledged. The only real negative is the somewhat gloomy and drab paint scheme.

The Papo version is a decent retro version. The "retro" aspect is unmistakable as it even comes with an egg (giving homage to the meme of Oviraptor stealing eggs from other...).

Quite frankly, I am okay with Schleich having a model or two that might be better than the competition.

Reptilia

Despite the fact that it is outdated (quite probably on purpose) the Papo Oviraptor still looks lifelike to me, while the Schleich one feels heavily stylized. The feathering is too shaggy for my taste, and the overall aspect of the animal ain't properly fluffed up like the WS Anzu, for example. Schleich is doing good with most of their latest models though, so I'm positive for their future releases. And I don't even rule out the possibility of getting the Triceratops and the Psittacosaurus, if I find them in store.

sauroid

if only the Schleich Oviraptor were painted like the repainted Papo Oviraptor, instead of its current chinasaur paintjob.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

PhilSauria

Just received the Schleich Triceratops and Dinogorgon tonight, along with the Safari Triceratops. The herd has just been expanded with a couple of qualiity figures. Took some pics of the new Triceratops, which does not seem to have been appearing around the web as much as the Dinogorgon.
Here he is with his travelling companion.

These two are virtually the same size, though the Safari has 'been in the good paddock', as they say, and is a bit bulkier.

Here he is with a figure I'm sure owned by many on the Forum, not quite as big as the Papo, but close.

And a closeup of the head, which has a Papo level of detail and a great eye. This does not do justice to the fine detail.

sauroid

oh thanks for the comparison pics. i just asked you a question regarding their size on the other thread.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

SidB

I just received the Schleich triceratops and have to say that I'm highly pleased with its overall quality. It certainly scales up well with the Safari, Papo and yes the "previous brown horror" too! It is a huge improvement over the latter, very slightly longer and somewhat thinner. The horns do have the "checked" pattern seen on the JP inspired Papo. It also has all five front toes on the ground, like the Papo, but not the Safari. The Safari, of course, gets that feature right. Papo didn't paint the two outer toes to convert them to hooves, whereas Schleich has - a solution will be to repaint these two outer ones to the same color as the legs, so as to de-hoof them, which should improve the situation, though they really shouldn't be in full contact with the ground. Still, this is a fine model and Schleich has come through with their best trike and a very worthwhile acquisition.

Pachyrhinosaurus

I found this pteranodon in a toyfair blog post. I'm not sure if it was posted here before but I didn't see it in the thread:

The post in question:
https://www.jurassicparkpodcast.com/home/2018/1/23/8tmlt6nd3ptse4e4cuaw5sd9qfmuu0
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

sauroid

wait, is that Pteranodon a Schleich product?

Nanuqsaurus

I can also see a repaint of the Herrerasaurus in one of the playsets.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: stargatedalek on January 23, 2018, 11:00:19 PM
Personally I think the Papo Oviraptor is terrible, the pose is uninteresting, the design is generic, and it has an egg permanently fused to its hand negating essentially all "play-value". Even though the Schleich Oviraptor is rather plain, and even a bit ugly, it stands out. The Papo one looks like a better executed version of every single dime-store Oviraptor ever but the Schleich is it's own thing.

I would hardly call the Schleich Oviraptor "poorly executed" just because the paint is a bit bland.

I dislike the Invicta Baryonyx for those reasons. Except replace "egg" with "fish".

Shonisaurus

By the way the pteranodon belonging to the company Schleich is somewhat confusing as it appears with pictures of Papo dinosaurs 2018. It would be interesting if any of these two companies were encouraged to make a pteranodon years ago that none is done.

I guess almost one hundred percent that the pteranodon is a Schleich advance for the second half of this year.

Regarding triceratops Schleich 2018 looks great with other brands is a great figure.

Jose S.M.

I really like the triceratops, it's almost on par with the Safari one for me, the Safari one is a 9,5/10 for me, brought down a bit for the coloration, this Schleich one is almost a 9/10, brought down for it's innacuracies on the feet and the coloration it's not my favorite either.

CityRaptor

Yeah, looks like the Pteranodon is Schleich.

And there is a Psittacosaurus repaint, going to be sold together with the Herrerasaurus repaint and a cave.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: