News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Irritation

Yes. I have been waiting for a Pteranodon remake to happen and now it's finally here.

sauroid

lol they repainted their Psittacosaurus green again. oh well...
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Flaffy

Their new psittacosaurus paint looks mildly better than the original, but what's with Schleich and making Psittacos green? It's just a horrible colour choice, and pointless as well since it's nearly identical to the original one.

The pteranodon is average, got that lotus trypophobia fenestra we all know and love. It's like they're trying to get a middle point being JP like and the classic ugly schleich style. Easy pass, their previous discontinued one was far better.

What I'm really interested in is the fossil croc, looks kinda like machimosaurus.

Shonisaurus

From what I see now, the Schleich company is going to market a diorama with a box and with the herrerasaurus repainted in brown.  :)

John

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 24, 2018, 04:48:17 PM
From what I see now, the Schleich company is going to market a diorama with a box and with the herrerasaurus repainted in brown.  :)
It will also come with a blue version of the new Psittacosaurus from what I can see in the picture. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Halichoeres

Quote from: Flaffy on January 24, 2018, 04:17:33 PM

The pteranodon is average, got that lotus trypophobia fenestra we all know and love. It's like they're trying to get a middle point being JP like and the classic ugly schleich style. Easy pass, their previous discontinued one was far better.

What a great description. I was going to say that the fenestrae look like they've been filled with oatmeal, but...your way is better.  ;D
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Reptilia

Not impressed by the Pteranodon, it has the classic Schleich's cartoon vibe, although a bit better than usual. Seems they went through the effort of giving it picnofibers, which is good, but the flying pose is damn boring.

I like the Psittacosaurus colour variant, it feels less in-your-face than the dark green and purple of the standard version. Too bad it won't be a separate release. The Herrerasaurus too seems better than the original.

As for the Triceratops, I like it a lot. It definitely rivals Papo in the sculpting detail department. This is probably the best option right now, being the Papo one a bit dated (and JP inspired), and the Collecta one in desperate need of a remake.

Shonisaurus

Regardless of whether they give the psittacosaurus another color variant, for me it is perhaps the best figure that Schleich has done in all its history along with other creations of the same year 2018 as the oviraptor, dinogorgon and triceratops.

Highlighted especially the psittacosaurus because it is a figure that does not have to envy the best companies of toy dinosaurs, is a great figure, outstanding one hundred percent.

I think it is perhaps the best psittacosaurus made so far, the Schleich psittacosaurus.  :)  8)

amargasaurus cazaui

It is a very nice figure, I agree...but it does suffer from some accuracy issues sadly
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

ITdactyl

Quote from: Pachyrhinosaurus on January 24, 2018, 01:31:41 PM
I found this pteranodon in a toyfair blog post.

It is evil and ugly... ugly evil...
I must have it.... >:D

Faelrin

I like the coloration of the Pteranodon. I can't seem to tell if those are scales or pycnofibers sculpted on its back though?
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Irritation

Quote from: Faelrin on January 25, 2018, 12:24:03 AM
I like the coloration of the Pteranodon. I can't seem to tell if those are scales or pycnofibers sculpted on its back though?
They're more likely feathers.

John

Quote from: Irritation on January 25, 2018, 02:42:00 AM
Quote from: Faelrin on January 25, 2018, 12:24:03 AM
They're more likely feathers.
Actually,pterosaurs didn't have feathers.They were covered in hair-like pycnofibers,which is what is sculpted on these new Pteranodon toys. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

tanystropheus

Quote from: PhilSauria on January 24, 2018, 09:00:53 AM
Just received the Schleich Triceratops and Dinogorgon tonight, along with the Safari Triceratops. The herd has just been expanded with a couple of qualiity figures. Took some pics of the new Triceratops, which does not seem to have been appearing around the web as much as the Dinogorgon.
Here he is with his travelling companion.

These two are virtually the same size, though the Safari has 'been in the good paddock', as they say, and is a bit bulkier.

Here he is with a figure I'm sure owned by many on the Forum, not quite as big as the Papo, but close.

And a closeup of the head, which has a Papo level of detail and a great eye. This does not do justice to the fine detail.

Great comparison shots. And, you are right - that's quite an intricate eye on the model. It's a huge step forward for Schleich. On the downside, the Schleich Trike seems a bit too gaunt and the contrast between the colors don't appear all that natural (but I will give it a benefit of a doubt). Papo's first generation Trike seems to hold up well, but barely. I like how the WS Trike uses yellow patterns on its frills; it is a nice homage to the classic Carnegie model.

amargasaurus cazaui

all those eppocippitals.......
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

PhilSauria

Agreed on both counts Tanystropheus; the new Triceratops is a little on the underfed side, especially when compared to the other new release of this animal, and the colours are somewhat less that naturalistic, but that element has never been a strong point with Schleich figures. Case in point the new Psittacosaurus. Despite this I am still pleased to add this one to the Ceratopsian herd. Only wish my camera was sharper in tight close up to fully bring out the detail on the Schleich.

Shonisaurus

What kills many figures of toy dinosaur companies is painting in a certain way. Schleich is not the exception and what I would like to do prehistoric animals with less bright colors as is the case of triceratops, I would like it to be more realistic colors. That does not mean that it is a magnificent and worthy figure to have in the best collections of dinosaurs and prehistoric toy animals.

As far as psittacosaurus is concerned, despite the criticism, I have no complaints with the painting. On the contrary, I am very happy with that figure and I will surely buy it if the blue version of psittacosaurus is sold separately. I love this figure a lot!  :)

As far as herrerasaurus is concerned I honestly keep the dark version, that figure costs a lot of money and honestly it is not one of the figures that I love most about Schleich.

In exchange if Scheich make another triceratops like this year with another more attractive paint application, the Schleich company could be sure to buy its new version. It is another figure that I like very much.  ^-^

tyrantqueen

I see Schleich are still looking to Jurassic Park for reference, if those cracked horns are anything to go by.

Reptilia

If I'm not mistaken no other Schleich ceratopsian features such texture on the horns. It's strange but it doesn't really bother me that much.

PhilSauria

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 25, 2018, 03:09:30 PM
As far as psittacosaurus is concerned, despite the criticism, I have no complaints with the painting. On the contrary, I am very happy with that figure and I will surely buy it if the blue version of psittacosaurus is sold separately. I love this figure a lot!  :)
Shoni, despite what I said I still like the figure and have it on order, due next week, though it's quite likely that I will do a re-paint to render it in the shades of brown that it is beleived to have been coloured, much along the lines of the example posted on one of these threads a short while ago.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: