News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidB

Good point - the thought had occurred to me too. Not that that makes the current adult look like a juvenile, of course. The current one seems to me like a shrink-wrapped adult with a too- large head and excessively long neck.

Paleodude

For me the Pteranodon really just flops both as a sculpt, an accurate representation of Pteranodon, or just as an appealing figure. Reminds me of that mediocre Wild Republic one recently reviewed on the blog. However the juveniles do look intriguing to me as they do seem to be better proportioned oddly enough when compared to the adult counterparts. It is a bit strange however that the T.rex lacks the features usually associated with young tyrannosaurids.

SidB

One can check out the DTB review of the CollectA juvenile T-Rex to see how it should be done. Obviously the Schleich one is nothing like this. It's more like a miniaturized adult specimen, apparently.

Brontozaurus

Are we sure they're intended to be juveniles or are they just slightly smaller? I know Schleich has issues with its dinosaurs but nothing looks 'juvenile' about either of them.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Brontozaurus on February 26, 2018, 10:13:13 AM
Are we sure they're intended to be juveniles or are they just slightly smaller? I know Schleich has issues with its dinosaurs but nothing looks 'juvenile' about either of them.

The Rex and Theri are intended to be juveniles
https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2018/02/20/new-schleich-prehistoric-animals-summer-2018.html

Shonisaurus

Sincerely I am fascinated by tyrannosaurus and juvenile therizinosaurus, I hope that in July they will release them as they say. On the other hand the tyrannosaurus is misterioro its photo is very blurred, pity that the team of everythingdinosaur has not taken a clearer photo of this figure, or perhaps for reasons of protecting the figure of the feared industrial piracy have only allowed them to photograph this way to tyrannosaurus.  :)

SidB

As the text commentary in the ED reference suggests, the "juvenile" might best be regarded as a "sub-adult" rather than true juvenile stripling. As such, this has possibilities.

CityRaptor

Always thought of it as that. Their Baby T.rex looks like that:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/12/31/dinosaur-set-with-cave-schleich/schleich-42261-dinosaur-set-with-cave-t-rex-baby-16/
Speaking of that, can someone fix that review? It says T-Rex instead of T.rex.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

SidB

Right! Hardly the CollectA standard, but definitely cute.

Sim

Quote from: CityRaptor on February 27, 2018, 05:17:34 PM
Always thought of it as that. Their Baby T.rex looks like that:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2017/12/31/dinosaur-set-with-cave-schleich/schleich-42261-dinosaur-set-with-cave-t-rex-baby-16/
Speaking of that, can someone fix that review? It says T-Rex instead of T.rex.

How did you manage to get a link to the full-size photo on its own?  Personally, I find the tiny photos Laticauda sometimes uses in their reviews are often useless because of how small they are.

CityRaptor

I searched a picture of the Schleich Baby T.rex via Google.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sim

I see.  Yes, doing a Google search for that brings up that photo.  Thanks for the reply!

FlawedCoil82

I have to admit that I have never been a big fan of the Schleich figures, however over the years my dad had bought me the two most recent Triceratops models from various trips. But tonight I just happened to walk past the display of Schleich figures at my local Meijer store and sure enough in the row of Pentaceratops was one lone 2018 Triceratops and after looking it over closely, I was very impressed with how much better he looked than their previous offerings of Triceratops. So I went ahead and bought it (oddly enough he rang up as "Pentaceratops"). He may be my favorite Triceratops I have behind the Papo and repainted "Great Dinosaurs" Safari Triceratops (with the unfortunate seam down the middle of his body). I haven't seen the new Safari Triceratops yet though...and judging by pictures alone, the ill-fated Terra/Battat Triceratops would have been the only one with the potential to take the #1 spot.

SidB

Right, the new Schleich triceratops is a fine piece. It has a wonderful texture and balance in the hand. I know its a bit on the thin side, but that does give it a distinctive look. The only issue is the number of front "hoofed" toes. Should be 3, not 5. Nobody does that right at this price range except the new Safari by Doug Watson. Grab one of those - it tops the Battat (which I do have), as the most accurate one on the market.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SidB on March 08, 2018, 01:55:18 PM
Right, the new Schleich triceratops is a fine piece. It has a wonderful texture and balance in the hand. I know its a bit on the thin side, but that does give it a distinctive look. The only issue is the number of front "hoofed" toes. Should be 3, not 5. Nobody does that right at this price range except the new Safari by Doug Watson. Grab one of those - it tops the Battat (which I do have), as the most accurate one on the market.

I totally agree with the opinions on Schleich triceratops.

From my opinion as a collector I think it is a figure that is at the height of other triceratops such as Safari (triceratops Doug Watson for me the most accurate), Battat (another jewel of the paleoart of the toy), PNSO (for me a great figure) among other companies.  8)

It is perhaps for me after this correlative order of the most beautiful triceratops toy figure by order, Safari, Battat and PNSO, the Schleich triceratops the fourth most beautiful toy figure, cool and awesome, without leaving aside the rest of companies that have their grace but sincerely the four figures of triceratops in my favorite case are (I repeat) first Safari 2018, second Battat, third PNSO and fourth Schleich 2018.  ^-^

postsaurischian

Do not forget about Kaiyodo, who - as in many cases - were the first to do it right ^-^ . (I mean the feet)

FlawedCoil82

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 08, 2018, 03:54:19 PM
Quote from: SidB on March 08, 2018, 01:55:18 PM

I totally agree with the opinions on Schleich triceratops.

From my opinion as a collector I think it is a figure that is at the height of other triceratops such as Safari (triceratops Doug Watson for me the most accurate), Battat (another jewel of the paleoart of the toy), PNSO (for me a great figure) among other companies.  8)

It is perhaps for me after this correlative order of the most beautiful triceratops toy figure by order, Safari, Battat and PNSO, the Schleich triceratops the fourth most beautiful toy figure, cool and awesome, without leaving aside the rest of companies that have their grace but sincerely the four figures of triceratops in my favorite case are (I repeat) first Safari 2018, second Battat, third PNSO and fourth Schleich 2018.  ^-^

The main thing I judge by is the head sculpt. I do love the PNSO figure but the one thing that irritates me about it is when looking at the head directly from above, the snout is not perfectly centered in between the two brow horns. On mine, one horn seems to curve slightly while the other is almost straight. I have tried using warm water to bend the horn slightly so it is more equally spaced apart from the snout, but it never holds (and it appears slightly shorter than the other horn too). So that drives my OCD crazy and is really the only thing holding the PNSO down.

When I saw the Schleich figure, the first thing I did was look down and saw that the snout was pretty dead center in between the two brow horns. That, coupled with the fact that the figure is looking straight ahead (instead of looking in another direction) really elevated it too. It's just a very pleasing looking figure all around. When I was a kid, I thought the Carnegie dinos were as good as it could possibly get. I can not express enough how thrilled I would have been if I would have had a Triceratops figure that was anything like this to actually play with.

SidB

FlawedCoil2: the Battat triceratops is on sale right now on eBay under the rubric 1994 Boston Museum of Science Triceratops

SidB

That should read: 1994 Battat Boston Museum of Science Triceratops.

FlawedCoil82

Quote from: SidB on March 09, 2018, 03:47:20 AM
FlawedCoil2: the Battat triceratops is on sale right now on eBay under the rubric 1994 Boston Museum of Science Triceratops

Geez...is that what they typically go for?  :-\ I am pretty broke now until I get my next check. Sucks... Thank you for letting me know though.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: