News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: FlawedCoil82 on March 10, 2018, 09:07:00 AM
Quote from: SidB on March 09, 2018, 03:47:20 AM
FlawedCoil2: the Battat triceratops is on sale right now on eBay under the rubric 1994 Boston Museum of Science Triceratops

Geez...is that what they typically go for?  :-\ I am pretty broke now until I get my next check. Sucks... Thank you for letting me know though.

I sincerely understand the frustration that collectors (including me) have with the prices they offer (most by auction) in the eBay markets.

I got a Battat triceratops by auction and it cost me a kidney. Honestly unless you're a fan of that company, the cost of these figures is like caviar (metaphorically speaking and not exaggerated). An eBay seller told me that Battat figures like those in Play Visions are very expensive because everyone in the US does not want to get rid of them. That is one of the reasons for its rarity.

What I would like and would be good news is that one day Battat would once again commercialize these figures on a massive scale in the markets in order to prevent any buyer in the world from running out of these figures and feeling frustrated.

But due to the unaffordable price of those rare figures it is better to buy figures from current companies such as those mentioned by Favorite and above you have more money when it comes to paying bills for the month.

I understand your frustration the same thing happens to me.  :-\

SidB

True, unless you're a Battat fan, then you sometimes pay for the excessive $. However, I, for example, have my limits, here too.

Having said this, deals do sometimes materialize. I've gotten shockingly good bargains on these pieces, occasionally, and to return to the Schleich thread - great prices on rare ones like the Saltasaurus and your namesake, the Shonisaurus itself. It pays to keep an eye out and not to give up.

PhilSauria

Agreed, SidB; although I am basically an optimist there are certain figures that I have on the watch list, such as the Saltasaurus, but unfortunatley as time goes on I have also begun a Fat Chance list and that figure for instance is also on that. Top of that list is the Battat Triceratops! Having said that there have been a couple of ocassions where I have managed to score something that I thought would have been noticed by more financially fueled collectors than I but I have managed to acquire for a reasonable price. So I guess the bottom line is never say never. Keeping an eye out and being patient seems to pay off, sometimes. Those insane asking prices that you encounter in this pursuit more often than not are frustrating however!

SidB

There are two Schleich Saltasaurus' for sale on EBay US right now, one for $40, the other for bidding, starting low.

Shonisaurus

There are two extremes or expect to find the dinosaur or prehistoric animal at a reasonable price or better save money in case you have few economic resources and buy figures of recent dinosaurs in the long run if those figures are retained will end up being revalued over time.

For the price of a Battat for example you buy all the figures of Favorite both historical and recent soft model 2013 of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals or prehistoric fish massively for the same price for example $ 150. In other words, for a price much lower on purchases more dinosaurs and prehistoric animals for your collection than buying those auction figures.

Battat is a very good company but we can already settle in this case with the figures that the company has for sale, they will end up becoming rare and revalorizing over time since they will end up discarding unfortunately. It's what I advise a friend.  :)

Reptilia

Got myself a Psittacosaurus today. I know I said I was going to focus exclusively on Papo, but couldn't really resist for only 7,50 euros. The sculpted detail on this little figure is incredible, definitely on par with Papo, and absolutely nothing to do with the rest of Schleich's line. Had the chance to check most of the last 2-3 years' models, and this one is outstanding to say the least. Both Tawa and Oviraptor look godawful in person, but the biggest let down is the Dinogorgon, which looks like a knock-off compared to the stock photo. Back to the Psittacosaurus, I'm very pleased I've picked it up, and now I can say I have a Vlad Konstantinov piece in my cabinet! At the moment I'm inclined to keep it in its original colour, but I'm not ruling out a professional repaint like most people here went for.

CityRaptor

And the red Utahraptor is out.

Comic seems to feature one teaming up with a Triceratops to fight an Allosaurus. Not sure if inspired by Jurassic World or Dinosaur Revolution...

Poster is less harmonic...

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Reptilia

If only their Utahraptor* resembled those pictured in the poster. Still inaccurate but fairly better design-wise. The Triceratops reminds me that of the JW website, only with the Schleich colours.

* I mean the standard size Utahraptor figure, not the mini shown above.

DragonRider02

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 13, 2018, 08:31:05 PM

Poster is less harmonic...

seems like Raptors simply decided to eat their savior...

Patrx

Oh, man - those drawings, those models  :'( How is it still possible for a major company to screw up dromaeosaur wings so badly? Sure, full-on Jurassic Park types are one thing, or even the sort with just a few feathers on the head or tail, but these bird/lizard hybrids look like they crawled here from 2010 or so.

Reptilia

Was that already mentioned? Here's where the Schleich Psittacosaurus is coming from:

https://imgur.com/gallery/IY87tvS

Has Vlad Konstantinov anything to do with this Protogen thing?

tyrantqueen

More Vlad sculpts would be welcome. Heck, let him sculpt the entire line.

Patrx

Yes, I've encountered Vlad's stuff in other places, and it's mostly decent! Schleich would be wise to rely on him more often.

Shonisaurus

I would sign for all of Schleich's prehistoric animal works to be made by Vlad Konstantinov. If they are with psittacosaurus and even figures of dinogorgoon, triceratops, oviraptor (I do not know if he is the same sculptor) it would be a great thing since in this way he would be at the same height as the best prehistoric toy animal brands.

Schleich has potential, what he should do (it is a simple advice) to hire sculptors of the stature of Vlad Konstantinov so that this way it was a company destined not only to children (that seems to me of fable) but also to collectors like those that we belong to the DTF.

A toy can be worth as much for children as for collectors from the amateur (as it is my case) to the most experienced and seasoned in purchases.  :)

Shonisaurus

Members of DTF in www.minizoo.com.au are the news of juvenile tyrannosaurus and juvenile therizinosaurus of Schleich, also of the pteranodon Schleich step links:

Juvenile tyrannosaurus rex Schleich,

https://www.minizoo.com.au/products/tyrannosaurus-rex-juvenile.html

Pteranodon Schleich 2018:

https://www.minizoo.com.au/products/pteranodon-schleich.html

Juvenile Therizinosaurus Schleich 2018:

https://www.minizoo.com.au/products/therizinosaurus-juvenile.html

The one that interests me most is the juvenile tyrannosaurus is the best finish and has an even better modeling than the adult of this year 2018.  :)

mgaguilar

Quote from: Shonisaurus on March 14, 2018, 03:17:49 PM
Juvenile tyrannosaurus rex Schleich,
The one that interests me most is the juvenile tyrannosaurus is the best finish and has an even better modeling than the adult of this year 2018.  :)

Why is the juvenile Tyrannosaurus so much better than its adult counterpart???
It actually looks like a decent figure is coming from Schleich! You know, besides the classic flaws.

Halichoeres

Huh. Yeah, it even looks like it has a caudofemoralis. It's not Safari or Battat, but maybe Schleich's best rex so far?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 14, 2018, 06:26:05 PM
Huh. Yeah, it even looks like it has a caudofemoralis. It's not Safari or Battat, but maybe Schleich's best rex so far?

Totally agree with you Halichoeres. It is a great figure, worthy of a collector.  :)  8)

SidB

Ditto. Definitely an improvement over the adult, which was itself an improvement in several respects over the previous several Tyrannosaurus offerings. The feet are a bit on the large size, but not absurdly like the old lime-green one. The hands  seem to be pronated or maybe only semi-pronated, but I've been successful in modifying this before on a Schleich T-Rex, so this is not fatally off-putting for me. Certainly a buy!

Loon

Looks like a bit of a step backwards for schleich. They're definitely better than most of schleich's figures, sans last year. Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't that juvenile Tyrannosaurus's snout be thinner/longer?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: