News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

Schleich just calls it "juvenile" because it is smaller than their new rex, and to market it more effectively i suppose (mundane customers would buy that along with the larger rex as a bundle purchase). anyway, it looks almost good (the feet arent that oversized) but the arms are still big, and im not sure if the teeth are blunted too. would be nice to see that in person tho.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

The juvenile T. rex is not bad. Certainly better than the adult. The juvenile Therizinosaurus is no bettter or worse than the adult. But that Pteranodon. Good gods, is it ever ugly.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

mgaguilar

As we saw with the first release, the juvenile Therizinosaurus is straight up a Kaiju. So many similarities with the inaccuracies that it shares with the adult.

tanystropheus

Quote from: tyrantqueen on March 13, 2018, 09:03:47 PM
More Vlad sculpts would be welcome. Heck, let him sculpt the entire line.

Totally agree.

SomeRandomPaleoNerd

To be honest i really like the mini carno. It's a great match to their larger model! The trike is also very good and i hope to pick it up sometime this year along with the tawa (Hey it's not that GREAT but i'm biased since it was native to the same place i am.) the new set looks AMAZING! I really like the psitacco with this new repaint as well as the microraptor..the herrea looks a bit..off but the rocks? I love the added phythosaur fossil in there and it look's like another great terrain piece from schleich! The theri repaint is ehh for me...but hey i like the juvenile! Especially since it's the first juvenile theri (That i know of) on the market. Their larger 2018 rex is not accurate but is a nice nostalgic figure. If i have the opportunity i'll pick it up but i'm not "crazy" over it. The feathered velociraptor is still inaccurate but hey having it in hand the detailing and coloration are amazing! The new ptera is uhh well looks like trash. Schleich is making advancements this year but still have a long long LONG way to go!
"Imagine if you could travel back in time, to a time long before man"

Reptilia

I like the juvenile Tyrannosaurus too, mainly cause it doesn't look like a juvenile at all. It looks much better proportioned as an adult than the actual adult Tyrannosaurus released last year. The feet though seem to be way too birdy, on both.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on March 15, 2018, 01:22:53 AM
The juvenile T. rex is not bad. Certainly better than the adult. The juvenile Therizinosaurus is no bettter or worse than the adult. But that Pteranodon. Good gods, is it ever ugly.

The pteranodon I have to agree that it is a paleoartistic representation quite inaccurate and honestly from my point of view badly prepared, I think that as it is logical is intended for child consumption which can not be criticized by Papo.

But honestly I would have liked a more realistic representation suitable for collectors such as adult and juvenile Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops Schleich 2018 to give three examples. Even the juvenile therizinosaurus is much better than that pterosaur that sincerely is far from the canons of beauty that you would like for this emblematic extinct animal.  :(

SidB

Reptilia is right on - the "juvenile" tyrannosaurus is a better adult that than the actual adult.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: SidB on March 15, 2018, 10:44:28 PM
Reptilia is right on - the "juvenile" tyrannosaurus is a better adult that than the actual adult.

Fortunately, they have made a Tyrannosaurus rex in this juvenile case on behalf of the Schleich brand, better than one would have thought it could rub shoulders with the best dinosaur companies. I agree with that is his strong figure for July 2018.  :)

Fembrogon

My local Meijer had one each of the new (regular)T.rex, Dinogorgon, and Tawa. Dinogorgon looks pretty good; I'll get it sooner or later. I kind of want to like the new T.rex - it's much better posed, it doesn't look like a JP knockoff, its overall shape seems like an improvement - but it's still not quite there. Tawa disappointed me a little; its paint apps were very sloppy.
I'll stop by there again sometime soon to see if they more in stock.

Reptilia

There are two figures in the "Eldrador" line for the second half of the year which are dubbed as snow wolf and cave bear. They look pretty cool, probably for people more into fantasy stuff, but still of some interest for prehistoric collectors, I think. The wolf might pass as a decent dire wolf. The Therizinosaurus and Tyrannosaurus are marketed as cubs though.

Shonisaurus

By the way the bear of the caves of Eldrador reminds me of the bear of the caverns of another brand but I am mistaken of Papo.

Although it is also true that bears usually have in all companies by similar physical similarity in any company, but the pose reminds me a lot of Papo.  ::)

Reptilia

It's like a mix between the Papo cave bear and roaring Smilodon released last year. The two Papo figures must have a strong market among fantasy collectors, so maybe Schleich just took note.

Syndicate Bias

i havent visited this thread lately, seems like scleich is slightly improving on their sculpting. 

terrorchicken

oh interesting! I think the wolf is a bit too large & fantasy looking though. The bear looks like it would be a better fit for a prehistoric figure as long as it looks like a cave bear and not just generic grizzly and you can remove the collar. I cant tell in the photo. The dragon looks cool and Im curious about the black two headed monster beside it. The shark thing came straight out of a SyFy channel movie. ;D

Reptilia

The wolf seem to be wearing socks, while the bear could be very interesting without the collar and those green things on.

mgaguilar

Do we have a release date on these second-phase "juvenile" figures yet?
Am I right to assume Fall?

Reptilia

Maybe during summer, seeing how they did in previous years.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: mgaguilar on March 22, 2018, 06:25:34 AM
Do we have a release date on these second-phase "juvenile" figures yet?
Am I right to assume Fall?

"July" was what they said

Shonisaurus

The good thing that Schleich has that is compliant at the time of marketing his figures if he says that it is July he fulfills it to the letter.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: