News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Schleich: New for 2018

Started by Takama, July 31, 2017, 10:13:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

waste_management

Thank you all for the nice comments:)

IrritatorRaji

Sorry that they're  phone screencaps ^^;
EDIT: Photos via EverythingDinosaur's FB page

Figures to be released July this year

• Juvenile Therizinosaurus
  • Juvenile Tyrannosaurus
  • Pteranodon

CityRaptor

The link:
https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2018/02/20/new-schleich-prehistoric-animals-summer-2018.html
I guess getting some more semi-adults is a good thing. Even if one is a T.rex yet again. Seriously, that is probably the one with the most semi-adults...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Takama

Wow

So there makeing Juvinile replicas now.

And the only new animal for the summer is Pteranodon? Come on Schleich.

Honestly i think there labled Juviniles as an excuse to release the same blasted species again.   .

Roselaar

Oh thank goodness, Schleich is back producing ugly monster figures. I was worried I would have to spend money on them every year, now that they started to make decent prehistoric figures, but that was just a short lived occurrence apparently. :)

Reptilia

The Tyrannosaurus picture is quite blurry, but it seems that both juveniles are actually nicer than their adult counterparts. They can start a theme with a full line of juveniles, they look kinda cute and better than those small two-packs they used to produce until last year. The Pteranodon is ugly though.

IrritatorRaji

I will for ever wonder why Schliech looked at a Pteranodon and went "know what it needs? Eyebrows big and sharp enough to stab a man"

Fembrogon

Quote from: Reptilia on February 20, 2018, 10:44:59 PM
The Tyrannosaurus picture is quite blurry, but it seems that both juveniles are actually nicer than their adult counterparts.
That's what I was thinking, too, actually. I mean, the Theri still looks monstrous, but something about the pose gives it a more lifelike appearance than the standard.

Irritation

Okay then. First Papo, now Schleich is releasing juvenile dinosaurs.

CityRaptor

Kenner did it first!
http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/05/27/young-tyrannosaurus-rex-jurassic-park-by-kenner/

Then Safari:
http://toyanimal.info/index.php?title=Safari_299529_Juvenile_Tyrannosaurus_rex

Depending on if you count them, there are also several Godzilla Junior figures. Oh and those Pixarsaurs...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Halichoeres

Quote from: Roselaar on February 20, 2018, 10:28:13 PM
Oh thank goodness, Schleich is back producing ugly monster figures. I was worried I would have to spend money on them every year, now that they started to make decent prehistoric figures, but that was just a short lived occurrence apparently. :)

Nailed it.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

sauroid

the juvie Theri doesnt look like a Therizinoaurus at all (of course) and that juvie rex is just a small scale adult T. rex. might get that Pteranodon (ugly or not).
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Shonisaurus

I sincerely think that the Schleich company has made juvenile dinosaurs, the strong figure of this second group is undoubtedly the juvenile tyrannosaurus (although the photograph is blurred), in relation to the therizinosaurus is a figure consistent with the artistic license of the sculptor.

As for the pteranodon, it is appreciated that Schleich makes one. It has been a long time since any important company in the Western world has made a figure of this emblematic pterosaur. That does seem less realistic than what Schleich did in his day (I mean the pteranodon of the Humbold Museum of Natural Sciences in Berlin).

I honestly would like toy dinosaur companies to make dinosaur families and prehistoric animals I would like a male a female and a male and a female female. I have a memory of when I was very small of a company of animals (which were hard plastic and breakable) and that was called Elastolin made complete families of wild animals, lions, tigers, deer and even today many current companies including Schleich what continue to do, why is not this practice of making whole families of prehistoric toy animals generalized? It would be interesting.  :)

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on February 20, 2018, 11:17:02 PM
I will for ever wonder why Schliech looked at a Pteranodon and went "know what it needs? Eyebrows big and sharp enough to stab a man"

"Because it appeals to the kids! Kids are too stupid to appreciate a natural-looking dinosaur, so they need those awesome stabbing eyebrows!"

Quote from: Irritation on February 21, 2018, 12:05:55 AM
Okay then. First Papo, now Schleich is releasing juvenile dinosaurs.

Yep, I don't get it either  ::)

Quote from: Roselaar on February 20, 2018, 10:28:13 PM

For me, this pretty much hits the nail on the head. One thing to add though, I've noticed that the sculpt of the Pteranodon, as well as the paint job, seems to suggest that the membrane is either a) connected to the legs via the top of the upper thigh or b) isn't actually connected to the legs at all, but rather just floats finely across the upper thigh. Regardless of which one of these it is, or if it is a result of lazy or overly-artistic sculpting and painting, the anatomy of the leg area looks weird.

Does this anatomy have any scientific basis?
Does this anatomy go against fossil evidence?
Is it even anymore aerodynamic than the leg-membrane arrangements seen on most other Pteranodon figures?

While I highly doubt any of the answers to these questions will be in Schleich's favour, it is still something I'd like to know.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Ravonium on February 21, 2018, 04:30:24 PM
One thing to add though, I've noticed that the sculpt of the Pteranodon, as well as the paint job, seems to suggest that the membrane is either a) connected to the legs via the top of the upper thigh or b) isn't actually connected to the legs at all, but rather just floats finely across the upper thigh. Regardless of which one of these it is, or if it is a result of lazy or overly-artistic sculpting and painting, the anatomy of the leg area looks weird.

Does this anatomy have any scientific basis?
Does this anatomy go against fossil evidence?
Is it even anymore aerodynamic than the leg-membrane arrangements seen on most other Pteranodon figures?

While I highly doubt any of the answers to these questions will be in Schleich's favour, it is still something I'd like to know.
The membrane isn't so much the issue as that the legs are torn out of their hip sockets and splayed horizontally. No one really knows exactly how the membrane was attached.

SidB

The dynamic is interesting. In the past, at least over the last several years, Schleich had slipped into a pattern of producing a line filled with absurd creations, interspersed with the odd quality product. Now the balance has shifted - several quite fine sculpts (not perfect, of course): triceratops, psittacosaurus,  oviraptor, dinogorgon and arguably the T-Rex, mixed with the same old stinkers. Odd approach, but there you have it - as people, we are all self-contradicted to a greater or lesser degree, so why not a corporation? The Safari's of this world tempt one to think and hope that all is well and all manner of things can and will be well, but ... that's the way of the world.

Ravonium

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 21, 2018, 05:40:19 PM
The membrane isn't so much the issue as that the legs are torn out of their hip sockets and splayed horizontally. No one really knows exactly how the membrane was attached.

I do realise that the legs are splayed out incorrectly. Infact, I think that may be part of the reason why they sculpted the membrane in such an unusual way.

Still, thanks for giving me a bit of insight into how much we know about Pteranodon wing membrane arrangement.

Reptilia

Quote from: sauroid on February 21, 2018, 06:33:29 AM
the juvie Theri doesnt look like a Therizinoaurus at all (of course)

It doesn't have to look like a Therizinosaurus, it must be consistent with the adult version, which doesn't look like a Therizinosaurus in the first place. It's Schleich, you know.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely I would have liked a pteranodon Schleich 2018 that would have been at the same height as their counterparts this year as tyrannosaurus, triceratops and even carnotaurus. Still for my part it is very risky to analyze the figure that will come out in the middle of the year 2018, but I liked as I have already commented more the pteranodon of the Humbold Museum of Berlin of the Schleich brand, it was more elegant. For me that is the negative of this year's pteranodon.

The positive is that they have made at least one brand of toys from the Schleich entity a new pteranodon and is that in the traditional brands in recent years have forgotten a lot that emblematic pterosaur of life against figures of other lesser-known pterosaurs from the paleontological point of view (by the amount of remains).  :)

IrritatorRaji

Am I the only one who thinks the juvenile Rex looks more like a real, adult Rex than Schliechs actual adult Rex? I mean, the anatomy looks okay, everything seems to be proportioned well, the feet aren't too bad...

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: