News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Fakes or Leaks? Safari 2018 models

Started by acro-man, August 15, 2017, 09:11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nanuqsaurus

Looks great! :) I don't have a good Ankylosaurus in my collection yet, so this is a must-have for me!

amargasaurus cazaui

The ankylosaurus looks great for me, I will be getting it. I found it somehow ironic that Safari produce dinosaurs in Guamdong district in China..of all places. This district is also home to many of the best known Oviraptorid nesting areas recovered to date and used to churn out a prodigal amount of eggs to the market when the Chinese fossil boom was in full swing
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

sauroid

"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Takama

Quote from: sauroid on September 20, 2017, 09:55:26 AM
it looks great but looks too big

Thats what i said about this years tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus.

But i guess we are the vocal minority because Everyone has been craving bigger dinosaur models from them.   Now we have a T.Rex that Towers over a Cacradontosaurus. ::)

Jose S.M.

I've tried to recreate the way it's resting on that hand with dinosaurs to see their size and I think it's around the size of the Gryposaurus, that  if my hand isn't too smaller than the one in the photo.

suspsy

Based on what? There's nothing in that photo to indicate its size.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

tyrantqueen

Quote from: suspsy on September 20, 2017, 01:21:21 PM

Well, there is a human hand.

Shonisaurus

I do not really care about the size of the Safari ankylosaurus (although I prefer it big). Safari prehistoric animals are always phenomenal regardless of their size. It is grateful for those pictures looks magnificent the figure.

Surely the best ankylosaurus made in the toy market to date. Let's hope Collecta does something with his old figure.

suspsy

Quote from: tyrantqueen on September 20, 2017, 01:30:18 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 20, 2017, 01:21:21 PM

Well, there is a human hand.

Didn't see that photo, but that's still not a very reliable indicator of size. Anyway, we shall find out in due course.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Daspletodave

This ankylosaurus looks great, better than the Carnegie version (which I thought was too skinny).

Shonisaurus

Of course regardless of the discussion. At my place of work I can visualize the figures of the Safari 2018 ankylosaurus that I have already said in passing that is excellent, but unfortunately from my address even if I am invited I can not visualize it. Does the same thing happen to someone in the forum? As far as I know, I do not have any viruses for what surprises me and worries me.  ???  :(

Shonisaurus

Forgive but from my address I can not visualize those images of the ankylosaurus 2018 of Safari. From my work, yes. I do not know why. Does anyone in the forum happen to be anything like me?

Patrx

I think the Ankylosaurus looks great! It'll make a great replacement for the Carnegie version on my shelf. I'm not an anylosaur expert, but the overall width of this piece looks more accurate, and the anatomy of the hands. I think the paint apps are smart, too; if I understand correctly, the simple color scheme might be what allows them to go for that nice overall dark wash without raising the final price of the product.

Also, a somewhat delayed and slightly off-topic welcome back, Tyrantqueen! Good to see you around here again  :)

Daspletotyrannus

The Ankylosaurus looks good. My only complaint is the pose. I would have liked the pose to relaxed like Sauropelta.  Not sure why most toy company make their Ankylosaurus in attack poses. I'll still get it. It would look nice next to my Carnegie and Favorite Co ones.  I think I like the Favorite Co one the most. Even though mine the black isn't dark it faded.  That is how I got him I just pretend that it is an old one.  It is kinda strange that Safari is having a lot of leaks this year.  Someone there is not doing their job well.  It would be cool if we get a some type of Stegosaur too this year. Or a Hadrosaur. 

Kaprosaurus

I like the Ankylosaurus! I hope the colors will be lighter in the initial model though,i will definitely get this!

AcroSauroTaurus

It looks really good! One question though, shouldn't there only be three clawed fingers? Not all five?
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 21, 2017, 05:09:07 AM
It looks really good! One question though, shouldn't there only be three clawed fingers? Not all five?

Three on the hindfoot, but I think ankylosaurs mostly retained five digits on the manus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 21, 2017, 07:04:27 PM

Three on the hindfoot, but I think ankylosaurs mostly retained five digits on the manus.

I was referring to the number of claws, not the digits themselves. ;) Sorry if I didn't word it good!
I am the Dinosaur King!

Halichoeres

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 21, 2017, 10:49:34 PM

I was referring to the number of claws, not the digits themselves. ;) Sorry if I didn't word it good!

Nah, that's my fault. I don't know about the claws, actually. It seems like most ankylosaurs don't preserve complete hands, but this paper (https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app56/app20100055.pdf) on Pinacosaurus describes unguals from all five manual digits. I might be wrong, but I think unguals almost always underlie a claw, hoof, or nail. But you might have better information than I do, this was just all I could find in a few minutes of searching.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 22, 2017, 03:08:21 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 21, 2017, 10:49:34 PM

Nah, that's my fault. I don't know about the claws, actually. It seems like most ankylosaurs don't preserve complete hands, but this paper (https://www.app.pan.pl/archive/published/app56/app20100055.pdf) on Pinacosaurus describes unguals from all five manual digits. I might be wrong, but I think unguals almost always underlie a claw, hoof, or nail. But you might have better information than I do, this was just all I could find in a few minutes of searching.

I thought I'd ask about the accuracy of the hands since stegosaurids tend to have claws on only three(or two, I don't remember) of five fingers, so since ankylosaurs are more derived thyreophorans, I figured that they would have only three or even two clawed digits on the hands.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: