News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZoPteryx

Based on the depth of the snout and how close the nasal horn is to the beak, I'm pretty sure this is a centrosaurine.  The horn looks tilted forward, so I'm guessing either Rubeosaurus or Styracosaurus.  However, there's so much variation in Centrosaurus that it could easily be that genus too.

AcroSauroTaurus

Its definitely not Triceratops, the nasal "horn" would be part of the beak if it was a Triceratops.(since the nasal horn wasn't actually a true horn, but an ornament on the beak, similar to Aquilops) It could be a Regaliceratops, Styracosaurus, Rubeosaurus, Centrosaurus, Chasmosaurus, or any ceratopsian with a large nasal horn. The others are obviously a Spiny Lobster sp., and a new Brahman bull.
I am the Dinosaur King!

SpartanSquat

Or it could be Styracosaurus. Another dinosaur I hope to see a new remakes are Spinosaurus, Allosaurus, Stegosaurus and Pachycephalosaurus

suspsy

Disappointed that it's not a new Triceratops, but excited nonetheless. Fingers crossed for a thyreophoran!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Eeeeeee!!! A classic big-horned centrosaurine! I will be overjoyed whether it's Centrosaurus or Styracosaurus (though if you put a gun to my head, I'll admit I'm hoping a little bit more for the former).

I really don't get the people who want yet ANOTHER Triceratops. Sure, bits and pieces of its anatomy have been refined by further research, but it's not like it now has feathers or something. Slight changes to the orientation of the feet and a few slightly larger scales here and there don't justify denying the spotlight to less well-represented species in my mind.

bmathison1972

the spiny guy does look like a spiny lobster. I was kinda hoping for a crayfish (I have a preference for freshwater fauna...). Still, since they had it in North America I wonder if it was modeled after a N.A. species, maybe the Californian spiny lobster, Panulirus interruptus? Still, any N.A. species would not only mean a 6th species of Panulirus, but a 7th (8th?) spiny lobster species in toy/figure form!

Reptilia

Would be very interesting to see a Styracosaurus from Doug Watson, definitely hope for that one.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 17, 2017, 09:39:50 PM
Eeeeeee!!! A classic big-horned centrosaurine! I will be overjoyed whether it's Centrosaurus or Styracosaurus (though if you put a gun to my head, I'll admit I'm hoping a little bit more for the former).

I really don't get the people who want yet ANOTHER Triceratops. Sure, bits and pieces of its anatomy have been refined by further research, but it's not like it now has feathers or something. Slight changes to the orientation of the feet and a few slightly larger scales here and there don't justify denying the spotlight to less well-represented species in my mind.

I would be happy with a Styraco [even though I have a few excellent ones in my collection (e.g. Favorite/Papo)].
I understand why folks would want a Trike. The previous WS Trike was based on Jurassic Park. The Favorite version is pretty good but I'm pretty sure everyone want's to see Doug Watson's interpretation. Quite frankly, I would prefer a Torosaurus. A few years ago, WS teased a Pentaceratops with an illustration in their promo posters.

P.S: It's most likely a Monoclonius  ;)

tanystropheus

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 17, 2017, 04:38:26 PM
Another teaser, this time with something interesting:

Some kind of malacostracan arthropod, maybe a zebu, and a new ceratopsian. Centrosaurine?

Are you sure the image on the bottom is not a fuzzy Carnotaurus?

Jose S.M.

I would like a new Triceratops or Styracosaurus even when they are some good sculpts of them, mainly because Doug's ceratopsians are still my favorites and those "iconic" species will look amazing in his style in my opinion.

Simon

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 17, 2017, 11:38:34 PM
Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 17, 2017, 09:39:50 PM

I would be happy with a Styraco [even though I have a few excellent ones in my collection (e.g. Favorite/Papo)].
I understand why folks would want a Trike. The previous WS Trike was based on Jurassic Park. The Favorite version is pretty good but I'm pretty sure everyone want's to see Doug Watson's interpretation. Quite frankly, I would prefer a Torosaurus. A few years ago, WS teased a Pentaceratops with an illustration in their promo posters.

P.S: It's most likely a Monoclonius  ;)

There have been some really, REALLY weird ceratopsians found in recent years, some with hugely oversized horns.  I would hope someone would take a chance on making one of these fellows ...

amargasaurus cazaui

Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Irritation

Some kind of malacostracan arthropod, maybe a zebu, and a new ceratopsian. Centrosaurine?
I'm really hoping for some kind of Centrosaur. Maybe a Monoclonius. Yet, I'm wondering if Safari will make a ceratopsian as well?

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: Irritation on September 18, 2017, 03:15:12 AM

I'm really hoping for some kind of Centrosaur. Maybe a Monoclonius. Yet, I'm wondering if Safari will make a ceratopsian as well?

It could be a Monoclonius, it depends on if Doug thinks its a valid species or not. It would be nice to have an actual Monoclonius figure.(based off the one known skull)
I am the Dinosaur King!

Daspletotyrannus

My guess is Ebirah the sea monster. Wait can Safari Ltd make Toho monsters? A cow or some type of goat. Some ceratopsian with a noise horn. Looking at all my Triceratops and my one Pentaceratops, looks like that type of horn. Maybe Titanoceratops? But I'm really hoping for a Centrosaurus or a Chasmosaurus.

Neosodon

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 18, 2017, 12:26:46 AM
Regaliceratops !
We just got one this year. I'm kind of tired of collecta and safari trying to compete on the same species of ceratopsians. They should work together to make sure they don't make the same spiecies so we can get a little more diversity.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Halichoeres

Oh yeah, I'd forgotten there was a fuzzy spiny-lobster-looking thing in the video teaser, so I'm sure stargatedalek and bmathison are right that that's what the crustacean is. Pretty cool as far as extant animals go.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Irritation

Quote from: Neosodon on September 18, 2017, 05:23:08 AM
Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on September 18, 2017, 12:26:46 AM
Regaliceratops !
We just got one this year. I'm kind of tired of collecta and safari trying to compete on the same species of ceratopsians. They should work together to make sure they don't make the same spiecies so we can get a little more diversity.
Perhaps next year might be their break of competition.

sauroid

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 18, 2017, 03:29:30 AM
It could be a Monoclonius, it depends on if Doug thinks its a valid species or not. It would be nice to have an actual Monoclonius figure.(based off the one known skull)
just wondering, does Doug Watson make the choice/decision as to what species of prehistoric animal to make? really interested to know.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

John

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 18, 2017, 05:24:56 AM
Oh yeah, I'd forgotten there was a fuzzy spiny-lobster-looking thing in the video teaser, so I'm sure stargatedalek and bmathison are right that that's what the crustacean is. Pretty cool as far as extant animals go.
I think they are right about that too.
I'm just going to go ahead and make the call that the ceratopsian dinosaur in the fraction of a picture is a new sculpt of Styracosaurus albertensis. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: