News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suchomimus

Guess we can expect a double of the ceratopsian by CollectA given the trend from recent years  ::)

ceratopsian

Quote from: John on September 18, 2017, 08:35:20 AM
.......I'm just going to go ahead and make the call that the ceratopsian dinosaur in the fraction of a picture is a new sculpt of Styracosaurus albertensis. :)

I'm happy with pretty well any ceratopsian to add to my herd if it is well executed.  However, it seems a bit of a shame if Safari's choice for 2018 repeats CollectA's for 2017.  I'd prefer to add something that isn't represented yet in my herd.

Jose S.M.

The safari  figures begin to be made with more than one year prior to their release, I think two is the usual, so if they repeat species it's not because a company made it last years  it's more coincidence, probably due popularity and novelty of the species so every company tries to do it in the couple of year following the rise of it's popularity.

John

Quote from: ceratopsian on September 18, 2017, 04:31:34 PM
.......I'm just going to go ahead and make the call that the ceratopsian dinosaur in the fraction of a picture is a new sculpt of Styracosaurus albertensis. :)

I'm happy with pretty well any ceratopsian to add to my herd if it is well executed.  However, it seems a bit of a shame if Safari's choice for 2018 repeats CollectA's for 2017.  I'd prefer to add something that isn't represented yet in my herd.
I actually prefer the Safari Ltd. ceratopsians to those of CollectA,so no ceratopsian that turns up in Safari's prehistoric line will be a disappointment to me. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Shonisaurus

Quote from: John on September 18, 2017, 05:31:27 PM
Quote from: ceratopsian on September 18, 2017, 04:31:34 PM

I actually prefer the Safari Ltd. ceratopsians to those of CollectA,so no ceratopsian that turns up in Safari's prehistoric line will be a disappointment to me. :)

I agree with you, Doug Watson is a portent as a sculptor of dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals, safari ceraptósidos are the best in the toy market.  :)

ceratopsian

I agree on Doug's prowess. I wasn't trying to imply that Safari copied CollectA's choice. I realise the preparation time is very extended. It's just that some genera seem to get passed over!

AcroSauroTaurus

Quote from: sauroid on September 18, 2017, 08:18:22 AM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 18, 2017, 03:29:30 AM
It could be a Monoclonius, it depends on if Doug thinks its a valid species or not. It would be nice to have an actual Monoclonius figure.(based off the one known skull)
just wondering, does Doug Watson make the choice/decision as to what species of prehistoric animal to make? really interested to know.

I believe he has some say in the species. As in he suggests species and Safari decides whether or not to give the green light on it. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Doug can explain it.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Doug Watson

Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 18, 2017, 07:11:24 PM
It could be a Monoclonius, it depends on if Doug thinks its a valid species or not. It would be nice to have an actual Monoclonius figure.(based off the one known skull)
just wondering, does Doug Watson make the choice/decision as to what species of prehistoric animal to make? really interested to know.

I believe he has some say in the species. As in he suggests species and Safari decides whether or not to give the green light on it. If I'm wrong, I'm sure Doug can explain it.

You are correct I make suggestions for extant and extinct species every year plus I get to give my opinion on pieces that others have suggested but in the end Safari Ltd has the final say, as it should be.

sauroid

Quote from: Doug Watson on September 18, 2017, 07:42:01 PM
Quote from: AcroSauroTaurus on September 18, 2017, 07:11:24 PM

You are correct I make suggestions for extant and extinct species every year plus I get to give my opinion on pieces that others have suggested but in the end Safari Ltd has the final say, as it should be.
thank you for the replies.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

suspsy

Well, some more images just got leaked on Facebook. We're getting an Ankylosaurus, people!!!
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

EarthboundEiniosaurus

Quote from: suspsy on September 19, 2017, 01:34:29 PM
Well, some more images just got leaked on Facebook. We're getting an Ankylosaurus, people!!!

Could you please link to the pictures?
"Just think about it... Ceratopsids were the Late Cretaceous Laramidian equivalent of todays birds of paradise. And then there's Sinoceratops..."
- Someone, somewhere, probably.

suspsy

Jose S.M.

Quote from: suspsy on September 19, 2017, 02:30:01 PM
You may have to join this group before you can view the post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=945265188948301&set=pcb.1458775717491074&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Yup, I can't see it, but damn I was content with the Favorite Ankylosaurus and now I'm gonna have to debate if I stick with that one or get this new one, I don't have enough space for repeated species.... yet  ;) :P

suspsy

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on September 19, 2017, 02:42:22 PM
Quote from: suspsy on September 19, 2017, 02:30:01 PM
You may have to join this group before you can view the post:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=945265188948301&set=pcb.1458775717491074&type=3&theater&ifg=1

Yup, I can't see it, but damn I was content with the Favorite Ankylosaurus and now I'm gonna have to debate if I stick with that one or get this new one, I don't have enough space for repeated species.... yet  ;) :P

FWIW, this new Ankylosaurus looks superb, easily on par with the Sauropelta.

I do hope Safari starts officially releasing images of their 2018 line before more of them get leaked.

Patrx

Please keep further discussion of leaks and so on to a different thread, maybe this one. I'd prefer to keep this thread limited to official announcements and images.

suspsy

Right, I should have posted in that one.

Shonisaurus

I would sincerely prefer it to a larger size like feathered velociraptor, feathered tyrannosaurus, giganotosaurus or kronosaurus by putting four examples. I would like the dinosaurs and prehistoric animals of Safari to be made without scale to a size from medium to medium-large.

That way you could make more detailed figures, without this meaning that a small figure may even be more detailed. For me, the size of a dinosaur or a prehistoric animal is of great importance, I do not like dinosaurs or prehistoric animals that are too small without being fabulous for both a collector and a child.

I would stick with a Safari ankylosaurus with a size like the ankylosaurus of the BBC WWD, I find an acceptable size.

That does not mean as much sauropelta as iguanodon to put two examples sculpted masterfully by Doug Watson are of the best of the market and endorsed by the prestigious magazine Prehistoric Times.

But for me the size does matter in this case.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: suchomimus on September 18, 2017, 12:38:42 PM
Guess we can expect a double of the ceratopsian by CollectA given the trend from recent years  ::)

Haha, no doubt.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stuckasaurus on September 20, 2017, 01:51:53 PM
Quote from: suchomimus on September 18, 2017, 12:38:42 PM

Haha, no doubt.

I agree with you. Although part of another thread, the company Collecta needs a reprint of triceratops and ankylosaurus that compete with those of Safari.

Although Safari needs a new reprint of the missing company Carnegie's spinosaurus and competing with that of Collecta.  :)

tanystropheus

I appreciate it when Safari experiments. For example, the base in their Giganotosaurus (especially, considering how weak the legs on the Carnegie Giga were), the Dino Discoveries, Missing Links, Oviraptor and Nest, fossil replica inclusion....etc.

How about a Leptoceratops with a ball jointed neck? Can you imagine the possibilities? We would each be forced to buy a half dozen!

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: