News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Safari Ltd.: New for 2018

Started by Patrx, August 25, 2017, 05:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 10, 2017, 12:04:13 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 09, 2017, 08:50:54 PM
Their strategy to get everyone talking about Safari Ltd has worked ;)

What is really amazing to me is the difference between the reaction on this forum and the reaction on the STS where their Safari 2018 thread members have embraced the tease and have enjoyed sharing their guesses. Their members apparently have more patience, because I can't find one negative comment.
Personally I would prefer them releasing everything at once but I won't get my knickers in a knot about it.

You are right Doug the forum members (me first) we must have patience in the release of prehistoric animals and other figures of Safari and extended it to other companies. The truth is that they are best revealed by droppers. Thus the forum of opinions of the members is enriched and it gives more illusion and sense that they delay in publishing the news to be revealed quickly.

However sooner or later we will know what the news is. So one may dream about what new revelations we will have from Safari and other toy dinosaur companies. That's not to say that, because of my impatience, I have already ordered the American mastodon (E-mail mammoth) on eBay, and I am sure that tomorrow I will be given a mail tracking number. That beauty wants to have it as soon as possible. I am a main fan of dinosaurs but I also like other prehistoric creatures and especially new figures in the toy market like that beauty.  :P ;)

CityRaptor

What is really amazing to me is the difference between the reaction on this forum and the reaction on the STS where their Safari 2018 thread members have embraced the tease and have enjoyed sharing their guesses. Their members apparently have more patience, because I can't find one negative comment.
Personally I would prefer them releasing everything at once but I won't get my knickers in a knot about it.

Probably has to do with what has been revealed so far. This forum is a bit more specialized than the STS forum in regards of figures. And we are generally a bit more critical, too.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Sorry for the long quote, didn't know that was a thing.

Faelrin

I don't mind it, but maybe I have lots of patience. I still have figures to catch up on, so this gives me time, and I can just wait until they are all revealed to pick them up later. I do like how things are available for purchase after being revealed, though I have to wonder if the ones revealed are finished with production first.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Doug Watson

Quote from: CityRaptor on October 10, 2017, 03:50:48 PM

Probably has to do with what has been revealed so far. This forum is a bit more specialized than the STS forum in regards of figures. And we are generally a bit more critical, too.

It is true more extant animals have been revealed but oh my believe me they can be just as critical about the pieces! Some have already said they see nothing that thrills them or they have criticized certain figures for accuracy but strangely none have mentioned the way the reveal is being handled.

P.S. While they don't hold back on their critiques it is true they tend to be less nasty over there.

PumperKrickel

deleted

John

So far,I'm seeing 7 prehistoric animals altogether if you combine the blurry pictures and parts of pictures with what's been revealed and leaked already:

American Mastodon
Daeodon
Ankylosaurus (leaked out,otherwise I would never have seen this coming)
A titanosaurid sauropod (maybe Alamosaurus?)
A feathered theropod (I have no idea which one this could be)
A diplodocid? sauropod (I'm not too sure of this one either,if a diplodocid maybe Amargasaurus?)
A ceratopsian (I would bet the farm that this is Styracosaurus)

Unlike others though,I'm not seeing anything that resembles either Estemmenosuchus or Hyaenodon enough to rule out anything modern in their place.I would be happy to be proven wrong on this though.
:)

And who knows,judging by the vastly improved detailed models in the new whale toob set Safari just revealed recently,maybe they could surprise us with new prehistoric themed toobs too. ;D

Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Reptilia

In my opinion Safari is just failing on capitalizing the moment. Next month all the attention will move on Collecta, if the overall quality of their offer from last year will be replicated there will be a lot to talk about, and then will be Papo's turn. What's the point in starting as early as october if then you do things so slow and without a proper scheme?

Shonisaurus

My opinion of the figures that will make Safari 2018 is as follows:

Mammoth americanum (mastodon) (confirmed)

Daeodon (confirmed)

Ankylosaurus (I give it for sure) for the photos.

Hyaenodon I believe it to be close together or in another case a thylacine.

The mysterious eye (triceratops, styracosaurus) or perhaps a creature of the Permian or Triassic (estemmenosuchus, scuttosaurus (it must be taken into account that this figure is discontinued), may even be an unpublished ceraptoside.

The first sauropod (camarasaurus) or a medium-sized sauropod.

Another sauropod I hope is a amargasaurus or a saltasaurus (I do not think it is
a large figure).

And one or more unconfirmed dinosaur figures.

I think the vast majority will be remarks of Carnegie figures, but there may be surprises like dinosaurs or prehistoric animals (such as the mastodon) that have never or almost never been marketed as a dinosaur toy or prehistoric animal. That is to say there will be some figure of dinosaur or prehistoric creature of paleozooico (Carboniferous to Pérmico) or Mesozoic unpublished. I cross my fingers, but anyway coming from a brand as outstanding as Safari sure will not disappoint anyone.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Doug Watson on October 10, 2017, 05:06:17 PM

It is true more extant animals have been revealed but oh my believe me they can be just as critical about the pieces! Some have already said they see nothing that thrills them or they have criticized certain figures for accuracy but strangely none have mentioned the way the reveal is being handled.

especially the horse collectors  :))

me: what a nice horse figure! I want it!

them: the ears are too big! the nose is wrong! its pear shaped(wth does that even mean?) the color is too dark for that coat color! the legs are too thin! :D

tanystropheus

Quote from: terrorchicken on October 10, 2017, 09:30:42 PM

them: the ears are too big! the nose is wrong! its pear shaped(wth does that even mean?) the color is too dark for that coat color! the legs are too thin! :D

Well, to be fair, we do have living representatives to go by. Theoretically, extant animals should be scrutinized more than extinct animals.
...I also find it amusing that toy rats cost more than real rats...or that I could purchase a dinosaur toy for the price of a frappuccino!

CityRaptor

Horse Collectors are ones to talk. Horses are one of the two ( the others are humans ) most reproduced animals in toy form. So they should be able to cherry pick rather easily.
Pear shaped? I got this when googling pear horse:

So if they are critical, I might have looked into the wrong forum threads over there.
Oh no

bmathison1972

While I agree there are nauseatingly too many horses made, the same philosophy can be seen here: it's in a tripod stance! the arms are pronated! The feathers are in the wrong place! It looks shrink-wrapped! The colors seem unnatural!  C:-) :-X :P

My collection is very taxonomically specific so I am happy when something comes out I can collect, even when inaccurate (just look at the Safari LTD shrimp from a couple years ago: it's a morphological meltdown but I love it!).

tanystropheus

Quote from: bmathison1972 on October 11, 2017, 12:48:43 AM

While I agree there are nauseatingly too many horses made, the same philosophy can be seen here: it's in a tripod stance! the arms are pronated! The feathers are in the wrong place! It looks shrink-wrapped!...

Some company should seriously consider doing a series of shrink-wrapped, undead horses... Mezco?

Mironimus

Hmmmm... the 'Hyaenodon' could be a Thylacine.
Sorry, if this was mentioned before, I havn't read the complete thread thoroughly.
;)

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

bmathison1972

Quote from: Mironimus on October 11, 2017, 12:05:00 PM
Hmmmm... the 'Hyaenodon' could be a Thylacine.

I've been thinking the same thing...

Reptilia

I think the map in the video placed it in Asia, while Thylacine lived in Oceania, if I'm not mistaken.

CityRaptor

So, it could be one of several Hyaenodon species.
Oh no

Shonisaurus

It may also be a thylacine according to Miromimus. Mojo, Collecta and Soutlands replicas have already done some which would not surprise me that Safari made an extinct animal figure recently as they did their time with the dodo.  :D

PumperKrickel

deleted

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: