You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

New 1:35 Giganotosaurus PVC figure from China

Started by Simon, September 17, 2017, 12:29:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnosaur

Got mine today.
I'm very pleased with it. :)
Its a high quality model and well worth adding to my collection.

Syndicate Bias

I compiled all the giga pics I found on Facebook some low quality but most are great quality pics for those interested in seeing it better also because these were on FB and I know not everyone can see them.

Vitae Giganotosaurus Compilation https://imgur.com/a/GI5mg

PhilSauria

Thanks for compiling these. Not being a Facebook member I can't usually see these but this time I could. This figure is on my 'one day' list, as in one day I'll have the money to afford it (especially shipping to where I am!).

Syndicate Bias

93 dollars if you get it from.the vitae seller himself. Hi is overriding it as for the limited edition I believe it's 63 after charges plus the 46 dollar shipping is 109 exactly

Minmiminime

These are great pics, they really show it off well ^-^ The more I look a it, the more it reminds me of a bird! And I think that's precisely down to the angle of the head! I'm still hopeful it'll find an EU seller, but it's good to know I can buy from the seller directly if this doesn't become an option
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Syndicate Bias

In transit to destination since Saturday. It updated even on Sunday and Xmas, didnnt update today so I'm assuming it will arrive at local post office tonight I hope.

Joey

A video review of the Vitae Giganotosaurus by YouTube channel SpinoDude Reviews:
https://youtu.be/Jeee2e1L6uU

Shonisaurus

As I can see the figure is magnificent. For me the only defects are the articulated jaw (it can be articulated to unimaginable extremes, but the defect is that it gives of itself in such a way that said figure can not close its mouth.

On the other hand another defect is their articulated arms, so we must be careful not to move them to avoid that we stay in the best case with the figure with the joints "mutilated".

Another defect is that you can not stand constantly so it is necessary to hold the dinosaur with pegs.

The figure is epic as the author says but it would have been superexcellent in my case without parts of the body articulated and with a stable base totally attached to the body of the giganotosaurus Vitae as other dinosaur companies have done with their theropods (it is an appreciation of mine). In all the ways, the figure is excellent and the penalty is what I mentioned in the previous paragraphs.

I am waiting for you to send me this figure in the next week. Surely I will not be disappointed, like the rest of the figures that I am collecting for my collection.   :))

Dobber

Thanks everyone for sharing your photo's  and for the video review. I really want one, but,  man the shipping cost price gouging is brutal.  :(

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Dobber on January 07, 2018, 12:42:55 PM
Thanks everyone for sharing your photo's  and for the video review. I really want one, but,  man the shipping cost price gouging is brutal.  :(

Chris

I totally agree with you, the figure and the price as a whole are more destined, especially the Premium edition edition to collectors as I have already commented in another section of the forum.

In any case there are other versions of giganotosaurus more accessible. It only remains to wait for the prices to calm down.

Reptilia

At least the blood on the limited edition adds a little bit of character to a figure that otherwise is pretty poor in my opinion. The lower jaw looks a dislocated mess, 99 dollars like Dan's Dinosaurs price is theft!

Syndicate Bias

I repainted mine with red and added a better colouration and scars and fixed the terrible paintjob. The lower jaw is a disgrace and the eyelid isn't even sculpted it's not a bad figure but leaves more to be desired. A figure is only good when you don't have to grow do like it rather than to it to grow on you, but that's just my opinion. Still think the safari giga I repainted to this day is the best so far

Simon

Quote from: Reptilia on January 07, 2018, 10:01:03 PM
At least the blood on the limited edition adds a little bit of character to a figure that otherwise is pretty poor in my opinion. The lower jaw looks a dislocated mess, 99 dollars like Dan's Dinosaurs price is theft!

The jaw does look better opened medium-wide ... as far as the price, well, yes, if you don't like it, then a figure is overpriced at any price ... Dan, OTOH, makes a living running a business ... he's not running a charity ... importing figures from the Orient ain't exactly cheap ... he's got to pay those costs ahead of time, and then there's the cost of shipping it out to you ...

Reptilia

I believe 99 dollars is the price without shipping. Anyway I wasn't criticizing who runs the store, I know it costs money to import stuff, it's the original source's fault, they obviously sell their product at an exaggerated price in the first place if it ends up costing that much from a reseller. It looks unstable and made of a softer material than other brands in the same price range, the paint as pointed out above doesn't appear that exceptional, and the lower jaw seems to be a bit loose. Let's set aesthetics aside for one moment, Rebor's big theropods doesn't have all these problems and costs 1/3 less than this. And they manufacture their products in China as well.

Simon

Quote from: Reptilia on January 07, 2018, 11:31:35 PM
I believe 99 dollars is the price without shipping. Anyway I wasn't criticizing who runs the store, I know it costs money to import stuff, it's the original source's fault, they obviously sell their product at an exaggerated price in the first place if it ends up costing that much from a reseller. It looks unstable and made of a softer material than other brands in the same price range, the paint as pointed out above doesn't appear that exceptional, and the lower jaw seems to be a bit loose. Let's set aesthetics aside for one moment, Rebor's big theropods doesn't have all these problems and costs 1/3 less than this. And they manufacture their products in China as well.

Actually the material that it is made of is superior to the harder plastics - its lighter and to date (I've had my figure for a month) there is no sign of sagging - its perfectly balanced on its two legs.  So looks can be deceiving - its the most stable theropod figure I've ever gotten (that wasn't resin).  The PNSO TRex started to sag after a few weeks and requires a plastic rod to prop it up - the Vitae Gig. does not.  I am seriously impressed by the thought that went into choosing this pliable, yet highly resilient, plastic.  (Plus its nowhere near as soft as you might think it is based on a video or two where Tat is bending its legs).  It also holds sharper details to my eye than PNSO - though not by much.

The other company you mention above does not make accurate dinosaurs - it makes movie-inspired monsters - which is OK if you like that sort of thing, but their pieces can't compare to anything sculpted by either Tat or Zhang for Vitae or PNSO as far as accuracy goes ...

Syndicate Bias

He was talking about the sculpting and material and design of the creature not accuracy, that point hasnt been put to the test. while it's not a bad sculpt the details aren't papo details or rebor although I don't like rebor because they overdo it, the paint job isn't that great, but I expect it from a mass produced model as well as the lower jaw and the plastic although not as soft as it is it's not exactly better quality than per say papo plastic or rebor.

The figure is still great but it's not exceptional. At least not 90 dollar exceptional. Shipping for it is 45 so I'll give that a pass but the model itself should be 30 without the base not counting shipping. It's not that high end in my opinion

Syndicate Bias

Also for the plastic it's made of. I've noticed some webbing in the spikes from which it's casted from. The plastic it's made of is not exactly the best as it's known to take away detail and give the figure a cheaper feel to it. If you say shipping costs is why they made it lighter then why make a massive resin base to go with it to still make shipping costs around 46 dollars. Rebor may not make accurate dinosaurs but that isn't the point of this conversation. It's about the cost of it compared to rebor and their dinosaurs costing less for being made essentially in the same place, maybe not warehouse but you know what I mean.

Accuracy wise no I don't think this sculpt is rivaled at the moment until papo(who is improving on.accuracy and has better quality for 1/4 the price) makes one or rebor which will most likely have big feet sadly

Simon

Are we looking at the same figure?  ;D ;D ;D

I guess it helps to have one in hand.   ^-^  A few points:

1.  It is a heavy figure.  There is nothing light about it, and the detail is fantastic (more on that below);

2.  The detail on the figure is superb - amazingly so for the scale and material.  Teeth, claws, etc. are much sharper in detail than the PNSO "TRex Wilson", for example. Now Tat has a more subdued "detail" style, by which I mean that the detail is no more visible than it ought to be given the scale of the model;

3.  I think you are mistaking the extreme (exaggerated) features (scales, skin, etc) of some Papo figures for accuracy.  They may (or may not) look aesthetically pleasing, but the detail on the Vitae Gig. is subdued as it should be on a 1:35 scale figure - we recently had this discussion vis-a-vis Doug's Trike sculpt, which some feel has exaggerated "depth" or "height" of the individual scales for the model's size - well Papo definitely has that in spades.  The Vitae does not, so it looks "right" - the depth of the scales are not exaggerated on the model ...

... to follow up on point #3 above - It seems to me that we are really not debating the quality of the models (because Vitae's design quality is excellent - like the best of Papo or PNSO's) - what we are actually debating is the SCULPTOR'S STYLE of sculpting.  You may like Papo sculptor's style better than Tat's (and that's fine).  But the quality of the product is still excellent with the Vitae figures.

That's how it looks where I sit ...  ;)

Like I said before, it helps to have the figures in hand for comparison.  Internet photos do not do any figure justice....

Syndicate Bias

While I agree with the style of sculpting. I don't agree with the detail being as superb as other papos and I never said anything about accuracy as stated above I said we aren't debating about accuracy. The topic of it is used too much to argue with. The model isn't heavy but neither is it light. I have one myself if you wanna have my own pictures or a video of it. I agree that the pictures or videos don't do it any justice at all but it's not perfect or amazing quality to me.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: