News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgaguilar

The photos looks sweet, but I'm worried about the coloration? Is the washed out color just due to the natural lighting? Or are there actually no deep hues on these two?

ItsTwentyBelow

These figures both look really good. Can't wait for an opportunity to see them in person.

Man, people have a strange tendency to focus on the littlest things. People are being repeatedly negative about the superb Iguanodon for one small thing. The way they did the jaw articulation looks fine to me. There's nothing wrong with it. I'm not sure how they could have done it any better on a toy, and it certainly is no more of an eyesore than the articulated jaw on most theropod figures.

Minmiminime

I quite like the colours on both, they both look pretty natural and well done, particularly on the Theri ^-^ The Iguanodon isn't actually as plain as I was expecting, there's a nice, subtle change in the tones from the front to the rear of the animal.
As for the jaw, whilst it does look odd to me I know I'll be able to overlook it with ease ^-^ Whilst Papo Dinosaurs are not known for their accuracy, they're (mostly) so beautifully done that I find it very easy to mentally superimpose an impression of a living animal over them!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Atokensis

Can't wait for the Therizinosaurus! I wonder how it still scale with the standing T.rex!

Shonisaurus

It is worth waiting for anything for these two figures, and we must include the quetzalcoatlus and compsognathus.

Without a doubt I keep putting the highest note for the Papo therizinosaurus of honor, but seeing the pictures of the iguanodon Papo I plan to raise him from a remarkable note to an outstanding one, his figure has impressed me a lot. For me it is no longer a secondary actor but a main one next to the acrocanthosaurus (repainted), therizinosaurus and quetzalcoatlus.

On the other hand in my case I would like to see in my collection the therizinosaurus Papo face to face with the baryonyx of the same brand. For me they are the first figures of a beauty out of the ordinary and next to the baryonyx I imagine two wrestlers of sumo transformed into dinosaurs.  >:D

Reptilia

Man, the Therizinosaurus feathering is bizarre! And of course not believable from a scientific point of view. But I love the mythical/fantasy beast look of this model, can't wait to display it side by side with the equally awesome Baryonyx. The Iguanodon though is a bit of a bummer, I'm starting to think that it might be a pass for me eventually. The sculpt is great, but as I suspected the articulated jaw is very distracting, at least for me personally. I would gladly lock it in either closed or open position to hide the joint line, but I don't think that's a viable solution considering my non-existent customizing skills.

Atokensis

Quote from: Reptilia on April 12, 2018, 10:59:15 PM
Man, the Therizinosaurus feathering is bizarre! And of course not believable from a scientific point of view. But I love the mythical/fantasy beast look of this model, can't wait to display it side by side with the equally awesome Baryonyx. The Iguanodon though is a bit of a bummer, I'm starting to think that it might be a pass for me eventually. The sculpt is great, but as I suspected the articulated jaw is very distracting, at least for me personally. I would gladly lock it in either closed or open position to hide the joint line, but I don't think that's a viable solution considering my non-existent customizing skills.

I'm starting to think the same way about the Iguanodon, hence I didn't mention anything regarding it in my last post. It may (or may not) be a pass for me, who knows.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on April 12, 2018, 10:59:15 PM

The feathering is a step above the CollectA, for sure:

http://www.collecta.biz/en/collections/prehistoric-life/88675

It's just one seam. I think at this point the forum is used to seams (between Fallen Kingdom and Creative Beasts). Also, don't forget there is some distortion due to photo lenses. It's never that obvious, in hand:

https://www.theverge.com/2018/3/1/17067176/selfies-nose-jobs-plastic-surgery-rhinoplasty-wide-angle-distortion

Reptilia

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 12, 2018, 11:32:27 PM
The feathering is a step above the CollectA, for sure

Not that much of an achievement if that was the only merit, the Collecta version is pretty bad. Thank God Papo's rendition is rather comparable with this kind of stuff, although a bit more on the fantasy side:

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on April 13, 2018, 12:03:56 AM

Not that much of an achievement if that was the only merit, the Collecta version is pretty bad. Thank God Papo's rendition is rather comparable with this kind of stuff, although a bit more on the fantasy side:

True. But, Therizinosaurus already looks like a fantasy animal so I think Papo is safe for now...

Shonisaurus

Quote from: tanystropheus on April 13, 2018, 05:08:14 AM
Quote from: Reptilia on April 13, 2018, 12:03:56 AM

True. But, Therizinosaurus already looks like a fantasy animal so I think Papo is safe for now...

For me, Papo's version is better. Collecta should update its therizinosaurus.

Georassic

Is it me, or do Therizino's claws look to short/small. They don't look much bigger than any other theropod's. It doesn't look like a 'scythe lizard.'

Halichoeres

Quote from: Georassic on April 13, 2018, 02:29:21 PM
Is it me, or do Therizino's claws look to short/small. They don't look much bigger than any other theropod's. It doesn't look like a 'scythe lizard.'

Yeah, that's my impression too, which is weird because the claws are the most ferocious looking part, which is generally what Papo seems to emphasize.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

ItsTwentyBelow

They probably limited the size of its claws in order to keep it a safe enough toy for kids to play with.

It makes sense, and I don't think it ruins the model.

Georassic

Considering it was named for the size of its claws, and those claws are arguably its most distinguishing feature, that's a pretty glaring inaccuracy. Probably enough for me to cross it off my wishlist. Bummer, because I was really looking forward to this figure.

Shonisaurus

I am of the same opinion of ItsTwentyBelow to the therizinosaur they limited the size of the claws to prevent children from suffering accidents. It is logical. On the other hand, it is also part of Papo's artistic licenses, for me it is still the best that Papo has done with his quetzalcoatlus.

The only thing that I have changed my mind is in its iguanodon in the sense that it was for me a secondary actor against the therizinosaurus, acrocanthosaurus (repainted) and quetzalcoatlus and now for me it is another of my priorities, although I would have preferred it with static jaws like before Papo used to make his herbivorous, omnivorous and pterosaur dinosaurs. But it is a simple appreciation of mine.

terrorchicken

so what is considered the best accurate non-resin therizino figure available right now? I do like the Papo one now that Ive seen better pics but its a shame about those claws.

Reptilia

Probably none, cause pretty much all of them have questionable feathering. The Papo Therizinosaurus has typical Papo inaccuracies, but the design quality make them easily ignorable.

Shonisaurus

Honestly in my case I have no complaints with this therizinosaurus. Anyway in the case of therizinosaurus is all speculation do not conserve much of that type of dinosaurs.

In relation to the iguanodon of Papo that I like a lot and another of my four priorities of Papo 2018 together with acrocanthosaurus (repainted), therizinosaurus and quetzalcoatlus, the only thing that I do not like is its articulated jaw, I observe and I do not say it with encouragement to hurt the feelings of any member of the DTF that if you look at the articulated jaw in front (which is the only objection I have about that figure) it looks like a puppet's head (I do not mean it with the intention of devaluing the figure) but it is what I think

It looks like the head of a ventriloquist figure, but without ceasing to be a mangific figure. That's one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of articulated jaws and even more so in prehistoric animals other than theropod dinosaurs. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone.

Minmiminime

Quote from: Shonisaurus on April 14, 2018, 10:23:48 PM
It looks like the head of a ventriloquist figure, but without ceasing to be a mangific figure. That's one of the reasons why I'm not a fan of articulated jaws and even more so in prehistoric animals other than theropod dinosaurs. I apologize in advance if I have offended anyone.

Rest assured that I find this observation accurate and hilarious ;D And like you, I still love the model regardless ^-^

It looks like they've used a couple of different skeletal references for the Theri; as the anatomy of the animal remains largely speculative, a quick search via a popular search engine throws up some varying and exotic versions that they could have taken inspiration from! Or, whatever original artwork inspired this model took its inspiration from...anyway, as the arms and claws are actually very well known it is peculiar that they've actually got them wrong ??? I'm not totally convinced this is anything to do with safety, because it's Papo and they're perennially wide of the mark, but, because it's Papo I forgive them :-[
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: