News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

Perhaps the criticisms that some forum members have about Safari iguanodon would dissipate if it were on a scale similar to Collecta iguanodon.

But I understand that it will be for something that the Prehistoric Times magazine chose it as the best figure of the year 2016. I do not think that iguanodon (for me gorgeus) chose him as the best figure on a whim and I say it from my complete ignorance without it removing that the iguanodon of Collecta (and that is not the topic that concerns us, since Papo's dinosaurs should be referred to in this thread) is impressive as is the iguanodon of Papo.

Reptilia

Quote from: postsaurischian on April 09, 2018, 10:37:06 AM
Not at all! The Iguanodon is not the first Papo figure I'm passing on.
I would never get their "Baryonyx" for example.

One day Papo will retire their Baryonyx and it'll become a sought after rarity!  >:D

tanystropheus

Quote from: Reptilia on April 09, 2018, 09:59:36 PM

One day Papo will retire their Baryonyx and it'll become a sought after rarity!  >:D

Despite the chimeric features, it is a pretty good concept model. With a little bit of retooling, Papo could repurpose the Baryonyx into a Suchomimus or Ichthyovenator. Hopefully, it will not have accuracy issues the next time around.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Reptilia on April 09, 2018, 09:59:36 PM

..... and I won't care :) .

Archosauria

Despite the Baryonyx's flaws (such as the bizarre pose) I really like it.
The only reason I've never bought it is because it's rather expensive.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Atokensis

I would have bought the Baryonyx if it had a better paint scheme.

For instance,

I don't mind the pose, only things I just don't like about this figure is the size and paint.

tanystropheus

Quote from: Atokensis on April 10, 2018, 06:47:16 AM
I would have bought the Baryonyx if it had a better paint scheme.

For instance,

I don't mind the pose, I just don't like about this is the size and the paint scheme on this.

Not sure why people don't like the paint scheme. I think it is one of the best features and blends rather well. I would still prefer the Bary in the top pic.

I remember when I first joined the forum people had issues with Papo because of their dependence on earth tones. Nowadays, it's quite the opposite...

Archosauria

I, personally, like the paint scheme.
I don't, however, like the glossy finish. I don't know why, it just looks...kinda cheap and unrealistic.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

hao_bao

Yeah I'm not a fan of the paint scheme either.

dragon53

That Baryonyx repaint is fantastic.
Apply for a job at Papo.

Shonisaurus

It is not perhaps one of Papo's favorite theropod figures I like most by far his tyrannosaurus rex, acrocanthosaurus, cryolophosaurus, allosaurus or spinosaurus for example, but that does not mean that a precious diorama can not be made with the therizinosaurus Papo 2018.  >:D

The baryonyx what kill him are his orange colors so bright, if it had been perhaps monocolor like the spinosaurus or tyrannosaurus (green and brown versions) the story about this figure would be very different from my point of view.

That does not mean he is a great figure and I think I repeat that he is going to make a good match with the therizinosaurus.

Acro's comics

Well, I'm currently using the Baryonyx model for the latest issue of my web comic, and I've found it to be a really fun subject.

I was hoping the Papo Iguanodon might have come out by now so I could incorporate the model into the story, but I'll just have to use the safari one.

IrritatorRaji

Not sure if these have been posted here yet

Can't say I'm liking that Iguanodon's jaw :/

Mini Minmi

I would have preferred a static smooth jaw but I can live with the sacrifice in the name of more posing options, as little as they may be.

I am curious to know why the seam is so much more visible on the iguanodon, though. I wonder if it's because of the color or just the jaw on this specific model. The shape of the jaw seems to be rather classic, maybe it's because of the neck?

Minmiminime

It's a funny experiment that hasn't really worked, but I am quite relieved because it does look a bit better than I was expecting, as do both models ^-^ I hope they're released soon! Thank you for posting these images :)
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Faelrin

Yeah I'm not really fond of how the articulation was done on that Iguanodon's jaw, even though I like the options it provides for displaying. It works so much better on theropods since they have longer jaws, generally not depicted with cheeks. It might have looked better if was the whole jaw, with the cheek as part of the upper or lower jaw, much like the Therizinosaurus in the pics above. Otherwise aside from the bulging (shrinkwrapped) pelvis and shoulders, this looks like a good stand in for the Disney Dinosaur Iguanodon.

The Therizinosaurus still looks a bit odd to me in some ways, but I think I'll still get it since this is probably one of the best renditions of it made yet. I'm more concerned about getting the Acrocanthosaurus though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

I don't like the jaws of Iguanodon at all. And I think Faelrin is right about how it would have worked better. On contrary I like the Therizinosaurus more now, but I think it's a figure that you have to find the right angle to display it well.

DragonRider02

Wow Theri is getting better and better with each Photo I can't wait when it Will be finally realesed!

Shonisaurus

The iguanodon Papo looks spectacular, for my part it is superior to the expectations I had about it.

In what refers to the therizinosaurus is super majestic, the best figures released on this dinosaur.

What perhaps I think was left over from both figures are their articulated jaws, they show a lot of sewing defects.

For the rest they are very detailed and very cool figures.  8)

I am impressed in a favorable way.

Archosauria

I am absolutely hyped for that Therizinosaurus!!!

-Steve Miller

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: