News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Papo: New for 2018

Started by Reptilia, September 26, 2017, 12:32:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ravonium

Thinking about it, there are many ways, many of which are easier than searching for pregnant therizinosaurs, to find this huge garbage pile that we are comparing to a model made by a company that already is highly debated on the forum.

Loon

I say the pregnant Therizinosaur conversation end here, all of this talk about the bizarre fetish art of 12 year olds has made us just as bad as the very individuals who create these pieces of "art". In the end we became the very thing we have mocked, quite poetic.

Loon

The iguanodon makes me think less of one that appeared in the Disney film and more of the one from the concept art.

Faelrin

They look so much better with the beaks, but no they had to go with lips because it was more "relate-able" and yet that still wasn't enough because they had to shoehorn a modern species of lemur in there as well. Ugh. I suppose that Papo figure makes for a nice what if situation in that case.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

AcroSauroTaurus

My opinions.

Amargasaurus: Not getting it unless I find one for free...

Iguanodon: Not fond of the articulated jaw, or the hand orientation, but its not bad.

Therizinosaurus: Looks like they made the body too long and the neck too short... claws are too short, feet are too short... the only good part about the figure is the head...
I am the Dinosaur King!

Loon

Quote from: Faelrin on November 13, 2017, 08:37:41 PM
They look so much better with the beaks, but no they had to go with lips because it was more "relate-able" and yet that still wasn't enough because they had to shoehorn a modern species of lemur in there as well. Ugh. I suppose that Papo figure makes for a nice what if situation in that case.

I actually attended a presentation by a lady who had worked on the film, the whole lips thing was actually really interesting. If I remember correctly, the gave the hadrosaurs horse-like facial muscles. There is footage from an early version of the movie that looks much better(story/dialogue wise), and they have beaks and it seemed fine to me. The story behind the movie is actually a thousand times more interesting than the actual film. Also, I'll just leave this here, but, this was the reason Disney canceled plans for a Dinotopia movie... 

terrorchicken

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on November 13, 2017, 06:06:54 PM
You know, I kind of like both the Iguanodon and Therizinosaurus! I need to see the Iguanodon from a few more angles, but it kind of reminds me of Bruton from Dinosaur lol.

I think the Therizinosaurus looks cool, more interesting than the CollectA. It was a decidedly oddly proportioned animal to behold in life as well, I'm sure.

the iguano definitely has a Disney Dinosaur feel, especially the head, except they gave it a beak.
the therizino is, yeah, really odd.

the amarga, everything from the lower neck up is wrong.

PhilSauria

It would be better for collectors if these companys were able to compare notes and not engage in so much doubling up on species as we are getting in recent years. Initial reaction is that the Collecta Iguanodon is where my money will be going, not sure that jaw articulation adds much to herbivores,and if the Amarg had not been issued as part of a Papo release I would have been hard pressed to work out which manufacturer was. It just doesn't say Papo to my eyes. Therizinosaurs are weird looking animals full stop, I don't think even Papo could add to that strange look, and we have another movie monster pose. Looking forward to the remainder of Safari's new releases though.

Minmiminime

That poor Amargasaurus is one of the nopiest nopes I've ever seen :o What were they thinking?! It wouldn't look out of place in the Ugly, Ugly Dinosaurs thread. Hey ho...interesting decision to put an articulated jaw on the Iguanodon, probably not the best idea, and it looks a bit like it's dancing, but the detail and colour are classic Papo and I'll definitely get it. I adore Iguanodon and at least this representation looks fairly hefty, rugged and dynamic. Might look nice opposite the Acrocanthosaurus I suppose...or with that monstrosity of a Baryonyx positioned as if it's lunging upwards at it from a lake below...

The Therizinosaurus is a lovely surprise, for all its weirdness!! At least it's got the degree of weird right, even if it's not right ::) They're both much more naturalistic in their colouration, too. Thank goodness there's no sign of that "rainbow" paint job they've favoured recently! Love 'em both :))
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Shonisaurus

This year Papo has decreased (for now a little in the quality of the figures) apparently, we must take into account that they are the prototypes and in the case of Papo his figures can vary and are much better figures than we think (for at least I keep hope).

From my point of view the figures of Papo, except the amargasaurus, are not as horrendous as most members of the forum point out, nor as excellent as in other years. I think that in this year at least they are in a medium standard of quality neither very bad nor very good, they are simply acceptable.

I hope that Safari does a new therizinosaurus some day and that it is scientific without that means that the iguanodon and therizinosaurus of the Papo factory are neither bad nor good, they are simply figures that are in the middle standard of quality within the Papo brand philosophy are figures of normal toys.

Looking closely at the figures of Papo 2018 my favorite figure is the therizinosaurus by far, with this I do not want to bother or offend any member of the forum whether Papo collector or not.

The dinosaurs shown so far by Papo are simply the heap.  :-\

Faelrin

I just realized that the new Papo Iguanodon (well depending on the size of it) would probably make a nice companion piece with Rebor's Carnotaurus for a sort of Disney Dinosaur display, considering both poses and colorations the models have. Yeah I know I even griped about that movie in a post above, but I still have childhood nostalgia for it in the same way I do JP.

I really hope we can get these models sizes soon in fact. I want to know how big that Therizinosaurus will be and how it might size with their other theropods, aside from the Iguanodon I mentioned above.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Minmiminime

Quote from: Shonisaurus on November 13, 2017, 09:16:50 PM
The dinosaurs shown so far by Papo are simply the heap.  :-\

Given that this is Papo, I'd be most surprised f they weren't..!  :)) At least they never claim to be anything other than what they are. And I am deeply, deeply relieved they're mostly of Papo's usual standard. I had grave concerns following the reveal of the Amargasaurus that standards were slipping
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

SpartanSquat

Oh I thought I would see them in december like the past years.
Amargasaurus: I dont like it, compared to Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus its a let down.
Iguanodon: I like the muscular build of the creature compared to recent depictions like Paul made some years ago that the tail was a stick. But I find strange they decided to make moveable jaw in herbivores.
Therizinosaurus: Like tyrantqueen said looks like Krentz model with Schleich, but despite beign a freak looks more animal than more kaiju like schleich.
Baby Spino: Yes its clearly a baby of the JP version. Despite it doesnt appear in the movie lore looks a very close version of the movie.

Really a strange year.

MLMjp

The good news, Papo will probably announce their figures earlier from now.
The Iguanodon is a little bit weird, not what I expected, However I am pretty sure that it will look better on in-hand photos. But Still, I prefer Collecta´s rendition.
Therizinosaurus is a mixed bag. Its body is a little bit too long, the head is huge, and it is not feathered enough. I get that the posture is mean to represent the dinosaur as it was intimidating someone, but it´s too straight.
But somehow, I think it looks cool, but not enough to make me buy it, If it had more feathers.....
Not interested into cave man and I already said that the young Spino does not convince me.
And I can´t believe it, they are going to release that atrocity they dare to call Amargasaurus. You used to be cool Papo! What the heck happened?!

Overall, not a strong year for Papo, and Safari has only offered a few good things. Now it´s up to Collecta to be the leader of this year.

EDIT: I just saw the new Safari figures, THERE ARE MORE THAN A FEW good things from them.

dragon53

I'm another person that is disappointed that there is no Giganotosaurus for 2018.

Joey

Wow, I am very sad to say that the only model I might
buy is the juvenile Spinosaurus.

Appalachiosaurus

For some reason, I really love that Therizinosaurus. I doubt i'll ever actually buy it, but looking at it just makes me giggle. The rest though, eh....I guess i'm skipping on any Papos this year (which sucks, especially after how amazing last year's lineup was).

Irritation

I love that Iguanodon as much as the CollectA Deluxe version. The only odd thing is the movable jaw, which never has really been done by any major toy companies before, but I'll still get it regardless. The Therizinosaurus is also a must have for me regardless of the bizarre features. The pose makes it look like it's about to attack a predator. And because I'm weird, I'll take one for the team and get the Amargasaurus. The Caveman is perhaps the biggest pass for me as I'm not very interested enough to get it. The young Spinosaurus I might get from the collector's set, but we'll see.

sauroid

the Theri could be both gravid and pot bellied :D

i was hoping that Papo would blow me away with their new releases. i just feel meh rn.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Flaffy

Papo ain't getting my money this year that's for sure.  ;)
Everything they've revealed thus far are either below average, or just simply nasty.
After all these years of waiting for an Iguanodon, we get... this... Really disappointing. Hopefully they don't screw up the giganotosaurus.
Who even approved this monstrosity? So the leaks were true, this is an actual Papo figure. I cannot believe it.
The Therizinosaurus is just like the Baryonyx, awkward pose, bad proportions.

Disappointing year for papo so far

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: