News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on November 18, 2017, 03:35:31 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on November 17, 2017, 09:55:07 PM
I actually like the colours on the Ceratosaurus. CollectA typically applies their "warpaint" in unusual ways, or worst of all they apply it and trace the outline of the skull which is completely nonsensical. This one actually looks like a natural pattern.

Except for one small detail -- the new "warpaint" now gives the impression of those vertical eye dashes (is there a name for this?) found on clowns (and, Thundercats)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5f/62/dd/5f62dd00ee6c96efcd045b92c3458dc2--halloween-make-up-halloween-foods.jpg

https://i.imgflip.com/c7b9h.jpg?a419184
These patterns are also on moray eels, servals, archerfish, many macaw species, peregrine falcons, some sculpin, and a whole host of tropical reef fish.

ZoPteryx

Wow, CollectA's on a roll with these new figures!

I really like the Ceratosaurus, even the facial pattern, which I think looks very avian and works well for a change!  :))  The claim that the figure is 1:40 scale could be based on the assumption that Ceratosaurus was 10 meters long.  This value is a bit optimistic, I think, but I've seen it floating around quite a bit in popular books and websites.

The Dimetrodon's pretty darn good!  It seems they're going for a full high-walk where as the Safari figure is in a semi-high-walk, both fairly plausible, imho.  I like the detailing on the sail, too.  Not a fan of those "swamp colors" though.  :-\

The Gomphotherium looks decent, certainly better than the Bullyland version at least.  Although I like the addition of hair, I'm not a huge fan of the way they sculpted and painted it.  Looks a bit more like mud to be honest.  Hmm, maybe it just finished taking a mud bath!   ;)

Nanuqsaurus

The Dimetrodon looks a bit like it was spray painted for military service.

tanystropheus

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 18, 2017, 04:18:19 AM
I actually like the colours on the Ceratosaurus. CollectA typically applies their "warpaint" in unusual ways, or worst of all they apply it and trace the outline of the skull which is completely nonsensical. This one actually looks like a natural pattern.

Except for one small detail -- the new "warpaint" now gives the impression of those vertical eye dashes (is there a name for this?) found on clowns (and, Thundercats)

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/5f/62/dd/5f62dd00ee6c96efcd045b92c3458dc2--halloween-make-up-halloween-foods.jpg

These patterns are also on moray eels, servals, archerfish, many macaw species, peregrine falcons, some sculpin, and a whole host of tropical reef fish.

Good point.

Loon

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on November 18, 2017, 08:08:24 AM
Jurassic World 2 Dimetrodon vs. Tank scene confirmed? Honestly, wouldn't put it past them.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Loon on November 18, 2017, 09:37:00 AM
Jurassic World 2 Dimetrodon vs. Tank scene confirmed? Honestly, wouldn't put it past them.

Ravonium

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on November 18, 2017, 09:43:49 AM

Thanks a lot, I now want a kaiju movie based on this picture.

Loon

That dimetrodon card reminds me of this one:

But, honestly, this seems more like a figure Rebor would make.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Both cards are from the same set, Dinosaurs Attack! by Topps, epically awesome and cheesy!

IrritatorRaji

I don't see it  :o I mean, I get what you're saying, that little dash under the eye reminds you of clown makeup, but it's moving from the jaw up towards the eye, not the other way around like those images suggest.

Faelrin

I never seen those before. I really do like that Dimetrodon one though. It seems like the kind of really bad B movie me and my dad would watch together.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ItsTwentyBelow

Thanks for the recommendations on where to find a good selection of CollectA online, you guys.

I really want to see more shots of that Dunkleosteus, too. Do we know the size of that thing?

Ravonium

Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on November 18, 2017, 06:13:58 PM
Thanks for the recommendations on where to find a good selection of CollectA online, you guys.

I really want to see more shots of that Dunkleosteus, too. Do we know the size of that thing?

It is, according to Everything Dinosaur, about 28cm long and 6cm tall.

Sigmasaurus

Quote from: Ravonium on November 18, 2017, 06:17:50 PM
Quote from: ItsTwentyBelow on November 18, 2017, 06:13:58 PM

It is, according to Everything Dinosaur, about 28cm long and 6cm tall.

In the image, I thought we would be getting another small figure with he minimal detail.

Shonisaurus

Sincerely I like very much the new representations of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals except for the gomphotherium that I think is the weakest figure of the group apparently (since we will have to see more pictures of that figure in the fair of the corresponding toy if they let publish them).  ^-^

What would be interesting to me since I am unfortunately an ignorant in paleontology if some member of the forum understood in paleontology commented on the successes and imperfections of dinosaurs and prehistoric animals not only from Collecta but from the rest of toy dinosaur companies that are revealing the different companies.

By the way this year unfortunately Mojo has not announced anything. Not even Bullyland in relation to figures of dinosaurs or prehistoric animals designed for children as the rest of their figures for two years. I refer to the line of triceratops and archeopteryx that they announced last year.

It is a pity that Mojo and Bullyland have practically "thrown in the towel" in relation to the production of prehistoric animals and dinosaurs, although it is still too early to judge.  :(

Brontozaurus

I picked up their Uintatherium and Andrewsarchus recently and am quite liking both so I may get the Gompotherium. Between that and Safari it looks like I'll be adding a lot of prehistoric mammals next year!

Also, Dimetrodon! I wasn't that enthusiastic about the Safari one but I love this one. Definitely picking it up.

Ceratosaurus looks cool but I'll wait until I see more of it to decide.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Shonisaurus

I sincerely like the Collecta dimetrodon and Safari dimetrodon, each one has its beauty and charm and both are very nice and cool in every way. Two large paleoartistic toy representations of dinosaurs.

As far as the uintatherium and megacerops are concerned, they are more realistic representations than other versions without detracting, for example, from Collecta, but I find the figures of Safari much more scientific.

The gomphotherium is still something quite premature to make a correct statement about the quality of said figure, we must bear in mind that we only have the promotional photograph.

Finally the ceratosaurus is sincerely a fascinating figure and very well achieved and as always Collecta as other companies like Safari dazzle us every year with better figure

Neosodon

I was thinking the same thing with this years Gigantspinosaurus. It looks allot like the color pattern you would expect on tanks painted up for dessert warfare. But honestly I actually like it. Something different from the usual counter shading. After all the color on military hardware and dinosaurs is meant to achieve the same purpose.

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: Neosodon on November 19, 2017, 01:58:37 AM
I was thinking the same thing with this years Gigantspinosaurus. It looks allot like the color pattern you would expect on tanks painted up for dessert warfare. But honestly I actually like it. Something different from the usual counter shading. After all the color on military hardware and dinosaurs is meant to achieve the same purpose.

Yeah the new Estemmosuchus also kinda falls into this category. I understand it's supposed to be camouflage, but animal camouflage often looks rather different than military patterns. I might be wrong though, are there any examples of animals with the typical military camouflage schemes?

Shonisaurus

On Friday of the following week we will have the latest news from Collecta. With so many scale figures revealed, I suppose the rest of the figures will be standard type like the mantellisaurus and sciuromimus or dinosaur tubes or prehistoric animals like last year.  :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: