News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

CollectA: New for 2018

Started by Mironimus, November 03, 2017, 09:53:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jose S.M.

I find the posterior part of the Dimetrodon's body to be very straight and stiff. The skeletal provided by Halichoeres isn't so straight at that part.

Minmiminime

I do like this figure quite a lot, but it certainly has issues. I'll still pick it up at some point. It's so close to being excellent, but that tail seems to be suffering from rigor mortis, I cant believe they put so much effort into the sculpt then decided that was fine?! ??? It's like they just gave up! As for exposed spines, I just put that down to being a horny sheath, but I'm not sure how plausible that is. I honestly don't know enough about the latest research, and no doubt it'll remain open to interpretation for a very long time..!
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

suspsy

What's so bad about the tail? Just because it's in a near-straight pose doesn't mean it's meant to be a stiff pole like on a dromaeosaur. Maybe it's just caught in mid-sway.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Quote from: Jose_S.M. on March 12, 2018, 06:18:57 PM
I find the posterior part of the Dimetrodon's body to be very straight and stiff. The skeletal provided by Halichoeres isn't so straight at that part.

Suspsy posted that!  ;)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

Quote from: Halichoeres on March 13, 2018, 02:34:19 PM
Quote from: Jose_S.M. on March 12, 2018, 06:18:57 PM

Suspsy posted that!  ;)

Oh that's right, I must have mixed your post and suspsy's original one in my head.

Reptilia

I like how the model is referencing Scott Hartman's skeletal, even the pose is kinda similar.

Simon

Just received my Collecta Iguanodon (from the UK via ebay).  I must say it is not only the finest Iguanodon toy figure I've ever seen, but perhaps the finest figure Collecta has produced to date ... owing to its 1/35 scale its a perfect fit with my PNSO/Vitae critter display .... photo coming later ...  ;)

X

I haven't posted my opinions on the dinos yet, so here we go:

Ones I probably will get :):
Dunkleosteus: Very endearing for an animal that can crush you with its jaws. I agree with the black eyes making it look better, as stated earlier in the thread. It reminds me of a crayfish, the carapace alongside the armor plates.
Brontosaurus: Despite the size and head issues, as well as the surprising amount of disdain for this figure, I quite like it. It looks regal and ancient, just like a large animal like that should.
Dimetrodon: I really like this guy. The colors are a bit odd, as if someone stuck the WWM one in a blender, but I like it and will be a welcome competitor to the new Safari one on my shelf.

Maybes ???:
Rex: I've always hated the maned rex feather style because it feels awkward to me. This model, however, still looks quite good.
Estemmo:Looks to be quite good, I like that it has articulation in the jaw although it feels a bit too reptillian to me.

Mehs and Blehs :-\ >:(:
Cerato,iguanodon,the gompothere, mantelli and scurimimus(Probably wrong) just don't interest me personally. I feel like I may get some of these later on.
Mapuasaurus: I really don't like it. It feels uncomfortable and is of course somewhat shrinkwrapped. Its colors are boring and it feels really generic.

tanystropheus

Quote from: PangolinWizard on March 20, 2018, 01:38:42 AM

iguanodon

Totally NOT meh or bleh.  ::)  ::) ::)

Blade-of-the-Moon

The Mapu actually impressed me more in person.  I like displaying it mouth closed, with the nose up like it's scenting the wind...

X

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 20, 2018, 02:05:00 AM

iguanodon

It's just a personal opinion. The only bleh was the mapu and the rest were mehs for me. It's fine if you like the Iguano, I just don't care for it.

mgaguilar

I always questioned the aesthetic appeal of Collecta's feathered Rexes. Watson's Wild Safari rex always appealed more to me.
The colors were always too bright with a rather uninspired beige undertone for the rest of the body on Collecta's series.
I am glad they made it a bit bulkier. But there is something funny about the nostril placement with all of them. I could be wrong though.

My personal opinion, of course.

tanystropheus

Quote from: PangolinWizard on March 20, 2018, 02:10:04 AM

iguanodon

It's just a personal opinion. The only bleh was the mapu and the rest were mehs for me. It's fine if you like the Iguano, I just don't care for it.

Yeah, definitely looks bleh when compared to Vitae's Majungasaurus.

Syndicate Bias

i may need to pick up the mapusaurus soon. as well as their carcharodontosaurus once im done collecting the carcharodontosaurus and giganotosaurus resin kits.

hopefully PNSO resurfaces and the giganotosaurus gets a release and papo and rebor make one as well, my shelf will be all Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus one day muahaha, with a bit of mapusaurus and hopefully a tyrannotitan one day.

does anyone have personal pictures of their mapusaurs?

Ravonium

iguanodon

Totally NOT meh or bleh.  ::) ::) ::)

While I don't think the Iguanodon is worthy of a meh or bleh, it does admittedly have its issues.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 20, 2018, 06:49:46 AM
i may need to pick up the mapusaurus soon. as well as their carcharodontosaurus once im done collecting the carcharodontosaurus and giganotosaurus resin kits.

hopefully PNSO resurfaces and the giganotosaurus gets a release and papo and rebor make one as well, my shelf will be all Giganotosaurus and Carcharodontosaurus one day muahaha, with a bit of mapusaurus and hopefully a tyrannotitan one day.

does anyone have personal pictures of their mapusaurs?

Flip back through the thread, a few members including me posted some.

Quote from: Ravonium on March 20, 2018, 07:10:54 AM

iguanodon

Totally NOT meh or bleh.  ::) ::) ::)

While I don't think the Iguanodon is worthy of a meh or bleh, it does admittedly have its issues.

I honestly think it's pretty good, the only thing maybe is the hands aren't big enough?   but that could be the specific species or gender. I haven't yet done a lot of research on Iguanadon. Something I'll remedy when I build one.

suspsy

I don't see any issues with the Iguanodon. Some people might not like the colour scheme, but that's purely personal preference.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Syndicate Bias

hmm i don't know, the paint job on it seems a bit uninspired

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on March 20, 2018, 03:05:15 PM
hmm i don't know, the paint job on it seems a bit uninspired

But that doesn't make it a subpar model. A lot of Papo, WS and CollectA models have uninspiring paint jobs.

Shonisaurus

The iguanodon of Collecta is the best thing that has been done in the toy market with respect to that figure to date, something similar we could say of its styracosaurus although it has serious competitors.

The brontosaurus I see him with a rather outstanding snout but it does not seem bad figure.

The ones that I like apart from the iguanodon are the ceratosaurus and the tyrannosaurus feathered among the Deluxe figures, the matellisaurus seems to me an outstanding figure, especially seeing it in a figure that in promotional photos of the company and the sciurumimus is a true caprice is a small figure and good for any collector of any age.

The mapusaurus the figure is good but perhaps it is something static and I see this dinosaur with little jaw without saying that its red dewlap is great.

As for the non-dinosaurs, my two favorites are the dunkleosteus and the dimetrodon. Estemmenosuchus seems to me a great figure but we still do not have enough photos to accurately judge that work. The weakest figure of Collecta this year is perhaps the gomphotherium, it does not seem to me a figure as finished as his deinotherium counterpart of 2013.

But in general the note that I put to the figures of Collecta is outstanding as always his works are worthy of praise both for the sculptors and for the great team of Anthony Besson.

It is a personal opinion but for me another figure expected along with the iguanodon, manteillisaurus, dunkleosteus and sciurumimus are the ceratosaurus (especially this figure seems great despite his war painting) and the dimetrodon and estemmenosuchus.  8)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: