News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Rebor 1:35 "Tyrannosaurus rex" Vanilla Ice

Started by Mauro "Raptor86", November 29, 2017, 07:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: australovenator on September 09, 2018, 07:44:24 AM
eh, as much as I liked the V.rex design I'm just not feeling this model, doesn't quite hit the mark and a bit too pricey probably.

While I agree, I suppose for fans of the V.rex this is the best model they'll get of it. There aren't really any interesting toys out there for V.rex fans (except this one)

Syndicate Bias

That one in the link was my old toy I left it back in my country when I moved so Rebors is like a second chance lol

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 09, 2018, 10:41:42 AM
Quote from: stargatedalek on September 09, 2018, 12:11:37 AM
It makes sense with the snake, but the bendable tails on every single release feels more like REBOR adding clumsy gimmicks to try and justify the price staying the same as they remove bases. Which despite their only recently announcing it was clearly planned for some time as nothing since the Carno has had one.

Do you feel the bendy feature takes away from the model (in terms of aesthetics or functionality)?  I think for army building purposes, it adds a bit of variety...but for single models (no point having a tribe of rexes), it neither adds nor detracts from the model.
The wires inside are very easily damaged, and there are better ways to make articulated tails. It is ultimately a very cheap feature to add that requires no design input to accommodate which makes it feel like a last minute addition just to have more features listed.

Sometimes it can add to a figure, like with thin necks or tails that would naturally be highly mobile (IE, it might have been neat for their Compsognathus), but with a bulky figure like this it just feels like a cheap last minute way to make the price look better.

Dinomike

I usually like Rebor's offerings a lot but this time it's an easy pass for me. I don't like the texture on the animal plus the head looks somehow off for being a V. rex. Not my cup of tea.
Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

Victoria's Cantina

Initially I had zero interest in "Vanilla Ice" (hope they don't get sued on the name since it's trademarked by the rapper). But seeing how detailed it is (no surprise) and how well it is painted has me very intrigued. Does anyone know which color is more accurate to Kong?

mgaguilar

Quote from: Victoria B on September 10, 2018, 05:48:03 AM
Initially I had zero interest in "Vanilla Ice" (hope they don't get sued on the name since it's trademarked by the rapper). But seeing how detailed it is (no surprise) and how well it is painted has me very intrigued. Does anyone know which color is more accurate to Kong?

According to the movie? It really depends on lighting of an individual scene since these color schemes are actually pretty similar.
Definitely "Mountain," the bluer one though. It's the most synonymous with the lore art.

Shonisaurus

I would also like you to make other creatures of the Skull Island such as Ferrucutus or Venatosaurus (dinosaurs evolved from ceraptosides and velociraptors, respectively).

Apart from that in the novel there are many more evolved dinosaurs that could make Rebor. Honestly the vastatosaurus is fine although it seems to me that its lower jaw is a little wider than the vastatosaurus of the 2005 film, from my honest point of view. Anyway, the figure is great and at the same time terrifying.

Syndicate Bias

My issue is the head. The v rex in the movie had a smooth head mostly not bumpy, just look at a close shot. Also the mouth and teeth varied in size and it was way gnarlier if you see a better shot of the v rex roaring on Google images. This one has teeth that are too uniform compared to the movie monster. That's my issue with this model. They over did the blue on its head as well

Shonisaurus

From my point of view Rebor has made a vastatosaurus with a mouth wider than the original of the film. The one in the film the width of the mouth or jaw was narrower. Anyway, I like its bluish color more than the greenish one.

I honestly get tired of seeing so many greenish theropods and honestly I like this bluish tyrannosaurus. Anyway the figure is awesome but I hope they make a version of Tyrannosaurus rex Rebor brand that is based on a scientific paleoartistic work, I have faith that Rebor will pleasantly surprise us as it is surprising us with the deinosuchus, sarcosuchus and titanoboa.

Flaffy

mgaguilar

Quote from: Flaffy on September 12, 2018, 02:11:29 AM
Pre-orders are up: ~45USD
https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/80066

Wow that's affordable. That's literally like a tiny bit more than a large Papo figure.
Hope the Killer Queen is in the same price range.

Also, what's BigBadToyStore's deal? Is the $4 shipping rate reliable? Any bad experiences with them?

Shadowknight1

Quote from: mgaguilar on September 12, 2018, 04:03:15 AM

Wow that's affordable. That's literally like a tiny bit more than a large Papo figure.

Also, what's BigBadToyStore's deal? Is the $4 shipping rate reliable? Any bad experiences with them?
I've had no bad experiences with BBTS. ^-^
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

mgaguilar

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 12, 2018, 04:37:15 AM
Quote from: mgaguilar on September 12, 2018, 04:03:15 AM

I've had no bad experiences with BBTS. ^-^

Thank you sir! Hoping that this experience will also be the same.  ;D

Syndicate Bias

No they are legit. Shipping is ok. Takes 5 days max from what I've ordered from there

Only place you should be buying rebor if you're U.S based.

mgaguilar

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on September 12, 2018, 05:59:38 AM
No they are legit. Shipping is ok. Takes 5 days max from what I've ordered from there

Only place you should be buying rebor if you're U.S based.

Thanks my fellow theropodian-based brother. This just solidified my decision to buy all four new releases from Rebor.
Looking forward to early 2019!

tanystropheus

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on September 10, 2018, 05:46:53 PM
My issue is the head. The v rex in the movie had a smooth head mostly not bumpy, just look at a close shot. Also the mouth and teeth varied in size and it was way gnarlier if you see a better shot of the v rex roaring on Google images. This one has teeth that are too uniform compared to the movie monster. That's my issue with this model. They over did the blue on its head as well

I don't think they could have made an exact replica without securing the license. However, considering that it is an 'inspired' piece, it already is the best V-rex model in the market, which is no small feat. The real issue is finding a movie accurate Kong model that will be in scale with this one. Any suggestions?

Rain

Quote from: tanystropheus on September 12, 2018, 11:56:45 AM

I don't think they could have made an exact replica without securing the license. However, considering that it is an 'inspired' piece, it already is the best V-rex model in the market, which is no small feat. The real issue is finding a movie accurate Kong model that will be in scale with this one. Any suggestions?

The SH Monster Arts Kong should be pretty close. It's around 1/30 IIRC, though it's articulated, so it has very obvious seams.

Shonisaurus

You can now book the two variants of "Tyrannosaurus rex" Vanilla Ice "on everythingdinosaur.co.uk I just made the two reservations, you can see it on their facebook page.

Nimravus

tanystropheus

Quote from: Rain on September 12, 2018, 12:18:40 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on September 12, 2018, 11:56:45 AM

The SH Monster Arts Kong should be pretty close. It's around 1/30 IIRC, though it's articulated, so it has very obvious seams.

I think the articulation on the SH Kong would allow for some interesting wrestling poses with REBOR's V-rex. Unfortunately, that Kong is also a few hundred dollars in the after-market  :(

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: