News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roselaar

I keep forgetting the DTF's boards are not auto-censoring stuff, sorry.

Dan, the answer is no. It would only be less annoying, but not specifically better. There's just too much wrong with it already.

Balaur

Ouch. What a huge disappointment. I'll just wait till it comes out on DVD. I won't even see it in theatres. I am very, very upset. Why did they have to mess it up. And another decade of "dinosaurs are for kids" is about to begin...

CityRaptor

Sigh, so much wasted potential. Atleast the toys are good...
But yeah, between this and "The Good Dinosaur" it does not look too bright. Let's hope that "Jurassic World" is atleast fun...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well it's interesting to know I was right about the human actors fossil hunting as a lead in. lol

It does sound bad..was the 3D element worth seeing or should I look for it in 2D ? Not even sure if that's being offered ?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Roselaar on December 12, 2013, 09:28:17 PM

Dan, the answer is no. It would only be less annoying, but not specifically better. There's just too much wrong with it already.

I know it was an honest mistake but please do be careful. The forum doesn't auto censor and it is against the rules to swear :)

Thanks for the review, just as we feared from the trailers. Oh well.

SpartanSquat

Well, at least we will have here the true version like prehistoric beast. But, Im going to see it, maybe my interior kid want to see it. I will see it because the great detail in dinosaurs and the magnific photography!

Hermes888

Quote from: CityRaptor on December 12, 2013, 09:45:24 PM
But yeah, between this and "The Good Dinosaur" it does not look too bright. Let's hope that "Jurassic World" is atleast fun...
I see absolutely zero indication that The Good Dinosaur will be bad. There haven't even been trailers yet!

Gwangi

Quote from: Hermes888 on December 13, 2013, 02:10:23 AM
I see absolutely zero indication that The Good Dinosaur will be bad. There haven't even been trailers yet!

We've all already debated this to death with Cityraptor. I guess he has already decided "The Good Dinosaur" will be a bad movie based on a couple pieces of concept art and a paragraph describing the premise.  ::)

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Gwangi on December 13, 2013, 04:19:11 AM
Quote from: Hermes888 on December 13, 2013, 02:10:23 AM

We've all already debated this to death with Cityraptor. I guess he has already decided "The Good Dinosaur" will be a bad movie based on a couple pieces of concept art and a paragraph describing the premise.  ::)
Yep, what a shame. Wouldn't it be ironic if The Good Dinosaur turned out to be the best out of the bunch? Which it probably will, given Pixar's excellent track record.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm certainly not going to be writing it off myself.  I haven't really seen a terrible Pixar film...from my perspective at any rate.

ChrisLikesDinos

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 10, 2013, 06:39:05 PM
http://home.bt.com/video/exclusive-clip-from-walking-with-dinosaurs-the-3d-movie-01366208534376?videoid=2917414943001

Some more cringeworthy scenes from this film, the more we see, the worse it gets. I won't be going to see this at the cinema. Such a shame :( WWD in name only.

Ohhh wow. Ouuccch. I wonder when they went from light, character centric narration to full on voice overs.. This seems really, really bad.. at least write better dialogue, get better VA's and try for the charm of Land Before Time.

I hope to good the Blu Ray release has a 'documentary narration' version. Who can we bug to possibly make that happen?

Roselaar

Quote from: dinotoyforum on December 13, 2013, 12:15:02 AM
Quote from: Roselaar on December 12, 2013, 09:28:17 PM

I know it was an honest mistake but please do be careful. The forum doesn't auto censor and it is against the rules to swear :)

Thanks for the review, just as we feared from the trailers. Oh well.

Sorry.  :-[

Wasn't really a review though, just a snippet of my thoughts. The real review is currently being written. Again, in Dutch only. I don't have time to write a translation before it comes out, got several other films to review as well and there's still a Hobbit to behold.

The more I think of it, the more it bugs me how much attention was payed to the background dinosaurs as opposed to the protagosaurs. The Edmontosaurs and Chirostenoteses actually looked stunning (and made for the best scenes), but the main dinosaurs were just horribly cartoony by comparison, as if they belonged to a whole different film. It was like watching a very long episode of the series with Land Before Time characters mixed in.

And I ask again, was there a scientific precedent for the absent Ankylosaurus tail club?

Balaur

I think it's actually Edmontonia. I don't know why it was called Ankylosaurus.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Balaur on December 14, 2013, 12:02:40 AM
I think it's actually Edmontonia. I don't know why it was called Ankylosaurus.

It's odd..the encylopedia I just got in today has it listed as Ankylosaurus as  well.

ZoPteryx

Well, at least the toys are pretty good... :-\

Very curious that they misidentified the Edmontonia, also curious that the Edmontonia and Chirostenotes didn't get mini figures.  How many other background animals didn't get toys?

PS: Any stills of the Chirostenotes out there? :)

Yutyrannus

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 14, 2013, 03:02:32 AM

Very curious that they misidentified the Edmontonia, also curious that the Edmontonia and Chirostenotes didn't get mini figures.  How many other background animals didn't get toys?

I have some stills, but it might take me a while to find them. Also, will you update the Saurocene, soon?

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

ZoPteryx

Quote from: Yutyrannus on December 14, 2013, 03:10:46 AM
Quote from: Zopteryx on December 14, 2013, 03:02:32 AM

I have some stills, but it might take me a while to find them. Also, will you update the Saurocene, soon?
Yes, a big update is in order.  I'll be getting a drawing tablet for the holidays, so I'm going to wait till after I have it. :)

And thanks in advance for the stills! ^-^

Yutyrannus

Thanks! And I'll try to get the stills up soon :)

"The world's still the same. There's just less in it."

krentz

Roselar.

The fact that BG animals always look more accurate is because they don't get over designed the way main characters do.  From what I can tell the Chirostenotes and Edmontos and the Parksosaurus stayed pretty close to my original models.
   Some of my favorite dinosaurs from the Disney movie were the BG characters because no one really cared and I was allowed to just make them look cool!  Its pretty counter intuitive.  When so many people have a say in a character it becomes design by committee.  That is a reality of making a film.  Personally, I think that the T.rex from the original WWD TV show was probably a victim of this.  It really seems like everyone wanted their input on the T.rex! 

Roselaar

Quote from: krentz on December 14, 2013, 08:17:36 AM
Roselar.

The fact that BG animals always look more accurate is because they don't get over designed the way main characters do.  From what I can tell the Chirostenotes and Edmontos and the Parksosaurus stayed pretty close to my original models.
   Some of my favorite dinosaurs from the Disney movie were the BG characters because no one really cared and I was allowed to just make them look cool!  Its pretty counter intuitive.  When so many people have a say in a character it becomes design by committee.  That is a reality of making a film.  Personally, I think that the T.rex from the original WWD TV show was probably a victim of this.  It really seems like everyone wanted their input on the T.rex!

True, the original WWD Rex was a mess too.

I guess it's clear who delivered the best work on this movie then, from a scientific perspective. ;)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: