News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Walking with Dinosaurs 3D

Started by Balaur, July 19, 2012, 02:31:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hermes888

What if...
on the DVD version of this film, there's a version without the dinosaur voices, AND a round of commentary with discussion about the accuracy of the film.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Hermes888 on December 14, 2013, 02:55:51 PM
What if...
on the DVD version of this film, there's a version without the dinosaur voices, AND a round of commentary with discussion about the accuracy of the film.

I think that would make it quite popular.

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 14, 2013, 01:30:32 AMIt's odd..the encylopedia I just got in today has it listed as Ankylosaurus as  well.

Are you referring to Walking with Dinosaurs Encyclopedia ( http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dinosaurs-Encyclopedia-3d-Movie/dp/0062232789/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387043789&sr=1-1 )? If so, then I'm not completely surprised, given that it's a popular dino book by Brusatte (See my 2nd post: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1742.15.html ). How is it overall? Are there other similarly "odd" inaccuracies?
I'm also known as JD-man at deviantART: http://jd-man.deviantart.com/

HD-man

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 14, 2013, 01:30:32 AMIt's odd..the encylopedia I just got in today has it listed as Ankylosaurus as  well.

Are you referring to Walking with Dinosaurs Encyclopedia ( http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dinosaurs-Encyclopedia-3d-Movie/dp/0062232789/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387043789&sr=1-1 )? If so, then I'm not completely surprised, given that it's a popular book by Brusatte (See my 2nd post: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1742.15.html ). Have you read it all the way through? If so, how is it overall? Are there other similarly "odd" inaccuracies AFAYCT?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: HD-man on December 14, 2013, 06:10:33 PM

Are you referring to Walking with Dinosaurs Encyclopedia ( http://www.amazon.com/Walking-Dinosaurs-Encyclopedia-3d-Movie/dp/0062232789/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1387043789&sr=1-1 )? If so, then I'm not completely surprised, given that it's a popular book by Brusatte (See my 2nd post: http://www.dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php/topic,1742.15.html ). Have you read it all the way through? If so, how is it overall? Are there other similarly "odd" inaccuracies AFAYCT?

Yep.  I have not as of yet. 

I mostly bought it hoping for good images and art from the film..which it has some okay stills but not much else.  I did not a lot of bird/dinosaur discussions.

Takama

Quote from: Gwangi on December 10, 2013, 09:17:08 PM
I honestly think this film was originally intended to be viewed without any voice overs and someone stepped in and changed it. Pity because this film visually looks stunning. The only way I'll go see it is if my 7 year old nephew wants to go. Ultimately that may be the only redeeming quality of this film, the ability to attract younger people to dinosaurs. But that is not hard as it is so...

Gwangi you are absolutely right. This film was never intended for Voice acting. But eventually they thought they would have Just Alex speaking, then it accumulated to the Pachys. 

Least that's what I understood. Thomas Holtz was talking about the movie on Facebook, and a few of his comments lead me to that.

Honestly voices wont bother me, Im more Angry at the fact that they called the Edmontia  an Ankylosaurus, for peak sake, this is a children's film and there purposefully misidentifying the animals, now we are going to have a whole generation thinking Edmontia is Ankylosaurus just like Jurassic Park had People thinking Deinoycus was Velociraptor (Ok maybe im Overreacting)

Hermes888

Quote from: Takama on December 15, 2013, 01:40:05 AMHonestly voices wont bother me, Im more Angry at the fact that they called the Edmontia  an Ankylosaurus, for peak sake, this is a children's film and there purposefully misidentifying the animals, now we are going to have a whole generation thinking Edmontia is Ankylosaurus just like Jurassic Park had People thinking Deinoycus was Velociraptor (Ok maybe im Overreacting)
While I haven't seen the film, I can only assume that the mislabeled Edmontonia will play only a minor role, while the "raptors" were central to Jurassic Park.
I also find it highly unlikely that Walking With Dinosaurs: The 3D Movie will come anywhere close to matching the cultural impact that Jurassic Park had.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I would have accepted the label " Ankylosaur " ..but yeah they blew this one.   Of course a wrong name for a minor character is the least of the problems the films has.

Roselaar

The Edmontonia was a bummer, but indeed only plays a minor role. However, the "Pterosaurs" are present more often and are not even given a name at all. That's also rather lame.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Roselaar on December 15, 2013, 01:50:48 PM
The Edmontonia was a bummer, but indeed only plays a minor role. However, the "Pterosaurs" are present more often and are not even given a name at all. That's also rather lame.

Makes me curious..how many species do they actually name ?

Roselaar

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 15, 2013, 03:58:54 PM

All of them, except for the Parksosaurus. With excessive attention (for comic relief I gather) on Gorgosaurus' short forearms. Though that's also a plot point.

I just handed in my review (about 1,100 words). Anyone interested in reading it (again, in Dutch!), just ask.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Roselaar on December 15, 2013, 04:25:46 PM

All of them, except for the Parksosaurus. With excessive attention (for comic relief I gather) on Gorgosaurus' short forearms. Though that's also a plot point.

I just handed in my review (about 1,100 words). Anyone interested in reading it (again, in Dutch!), just ask.
Does it break or damage its forearms?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Well..that's interesting.

Roselaar

Quote from: tyrantqueen on December 15, 2013, 04:27:58 PM

Does it break or damage its forearms?

I prefer not to say in case that information would spoil it for other forum members.  ;)

Balaur

Wh.... Ju..... what? Ankylosaurus, Pterosaurs, and now NOT identifying Parksosaurus?! Uuggghhh..... Anyways, I would love to read the review Roselaar. ;)

CityRaptor

Does Gorgon adopt an Edmontonia Baby and calls it "Tasty"? ;D

Quote from: Zopteryx on December 14, 2013, 03:02:32 AM
Very curious that they misidentified the Edmontonia, also curious that the Edmontonia and Chirostenotes didn't get mini figures.  How many other background animals didn't get toys?
Well, the Adult Forms of Patchi, Scowler and Juniper didn't get toys aswell. Maybe if there is a second series of blindbags, alongside Patchi's mom...

Okay, on the subject of that Pixar film, aside from what we have seen so far, I have a bad feeling about it. You can call it instinct...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm betting Gorgon can't help his son because of his tiny arms and Patchi comes to the rescue. lol

I'm hoping there are more toys..I would love a big Pachyrhino figure like the Gorgon I just received..it's a really awesome toy !

HD-man

Quote from: Balaur on December 15, 2013, 05:48:15 PMand now NOT identifying Parksosaurus?! Uuggghhh..... Anyways, I would love to read the review Roselaar. ;)

To be fair, Dryosaurus wasn't identified in "Time of the Titans".

Balaur

HD-man, I think I was overreacting. I am just so upset how this movie has turned into a huge disappointment. Not in a million years would I have thought they turned this movie into what it has become.

tyrantqueen

Quote from: Balaur on December 15, 2013, 10:15:14 PM
HD-man, I think I was overreacting. I am just so upset how this movie has turned into a huge disappointment. Not in a million years would I have thought they turned this movie into what it has become.
Ever since we first got the news about them having "voice overs", it just sort of went downhill from there. Still, many people are enjoying the toys and merchandise so that's one good thing :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: