News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

I

Papo 2019 Hopes & Dreams

Started by indominus, December 20, 2017, 03:16:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Archosauria

Here's mine:

-Ornithomimus
-Rhamphorynchus
-Tyrannotitan
-Yutyrannus
-Shunosaurus
-Hypacrosaurus
-Mapusaurus
-Hypsilophodon
-More dinosaurs in the style of their Tylosaurus, Polacanthus and Amargasaurus, because those are the pinnacle of dinosaur models  ;)
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

Reptilia

Could be interesting to see a Protoceratops by the other sculptor. But then I think to a Protoceratops by Mr Seo, and I think it is better to not waste that genus. Maybe a stegosaur by the other sculptor?

MoarCrossovers

-Lythronax, Nanuqsaurus or any other small tyrannosaurid (CollectA is nice but I'd prefer a figure not attached to a base)
-Tyrannotitan
-Miragaia or Gigantspinosaurus
-Achillobator
-Ichthyovenator or Oxalaia
-Becklespinax
-Rebbachisaurus or Brachytrachelopan
-Sacisaurus

Shonisaurus

A shonisaurus on behalf of Papo would be great. If that huge ichyosaurus were made with its new appearance according to the latest discoveries and with a sculptor at the height of the quetzalcoaltus or therizinosaurus it would be an outstanding figure.

Or else a cymbospondylus is a marine reptile practically nothing treated in the toy market.

Reptilia

Or a Shonisaurus inspired by those kind of retro ichthyosaurs, done by "the other sculptor", to make a nice pair with their Tylosaurus...  >:D

mgaguilar

This "other sculptor" discussion is fascinating. Is it due to the fact that the Amargasaurus is such a lower-grade production compared to Papo's usual quality standard that people are assuming an entirely different style?

Is it more right to assume that the "other sculptor's" renditions are of lower quality, or just a different style?
I'm honestly intrigued by this. Papo could begin putting out two different lines of figures in two different styles.

Reptilia

I think it's both things, a different style of a lower quality compared to Papo's main style, which is Mr Seo's. I still can find positive aspects in those different style figures: the Tylosaurus is quite a nice retro model, the Polacanthus is finely detailed, while the Amargasaurus is certainly the worst of the three but still better than lots of Schleichs, for instance, or even than other brands' take on the genus. I find the Amargasaurus kinda bad overall simply because it's not on par with the Brachiosaurus and the Apatosaurus, which is a shame indeed.

Archosauria

Can you imagine if Papo made their Amargasaurus with the same quality as the Apatosaurus and Brachiosaurus? It would be stunning.
"Dinosaurs may be extinct from the face of the earth, but they are alive and well in our imaginations"

-Steve Miller

mgaguilar

Quote from: Reptilia on March 31, 2018, 01:43:43 AM
I think it's both things, a different style of a lower quality compared to Papo's main style, which is Mr Seo's. I still can find positive aspects in those different style figures: the Tylosaurus is quite a nice retro model, the Polacanthus is finely detailed, while the Amargasaurus is certainly the worst of the three but still better than lots of Schleichs, for instance, or even than other brands' take on the genus. I find the Amargasaurus kinda bad overall simply because it's not on par with the Brachiosaurus and the Apatosaurus, which is a shame indeed.

I see. I guess within Papo, Mr. Seo's style can no longer be described as synonymous with "Papo's" own, due to how many figures are now attributed to the "other sculptor." I agree that the Amargasaurus is without doubt a hugely missed opportunity, especially to have one of the most well-known and fascinating sauropods not be sculpted in the same way as their famous Brachiosaurus. And that's the thing, with the Amargasaurus, it may be comparably "better" than Schleich's standard, or other brands' takes, but Papo's previous standard for detail and aesthetic would have originally been league's ahead of the aforementioned competition. Which is, in fact, a disappointment.

Shonisaurus

To me honestly I would like a unique style in the dinosaur sculptures of Papo type quetzalcoatlus, acrocanthosaurus or therizinosaurus to give three examples.

I know that Papo's philosophy is based on pop art and I respect it, that does not stop me from valuing outstanding figures like tyrannosaurus rex running or spinosaurus based on the Jurassic Park movie saga.

But his super-detailed figures are very valuable. Papo amargasaurus is not perhaps one of its best creations but it is superior to other brands like Geoworld for setting an example and even mentioned companies and that I deserve all the respect of the world.

But for example, to say that Schleich's figures are all bad is not true, the Schleich triceratops 2018 is an outstanding figure as well as the adult and juvenile tyrannosaurus of Schleich 2018 to give two examples. Even his carnotaurus Schleich is much better comparatively to his Argentinian counterpart Amargasaurus Papo.

Reptilia

Quote from: mgaguilar on March 31, 2018, 04:55:30 AM
I guess within Papo, Mr. Seo's style can no longer be described as synonymous with "Papo's" own, due to how many figures are now attributed to the "other sculptor."

Papo's prehistoric line is consisting of 46 original sculpts, 35 of which are most certainly by Mr Seo. I'd say that Papo's style is still identifiable with that of Mr Seo, even though about 1/4 of the line is by other artists. I don't know if the non-Seo models are from one or more artists though, sure some of them display enough similarities to let us think they're the work of the same person.

Atokensis

I hope papo does a brand new Armagasaurus, not a repaint but an overall remake and sculpted by Mr. Seo. The 2018 Armagasaurus looks like an embarrassment and I'll have to pass on an amazing and bizarre sauropod unfortunately. It looks nothing like a papo and deserves a retirement asap. Just stating my opinion about it here.  2/10 from me, as only the pose appeals to me and nothing else (not detailed, weird head especially eyes, weird horn above its head, inaccurate, unappealing paint).

If papo does ever make a new Armagasaurus down the line (which I wouldn't mind), I hope it resembles the PNSO Armagasaurus which never made it to the production scene. Just imagine how beautiful that would be! One can only hope for something like this in the future from papo. I personally wouldn't mind less figures per year, as long as they're detailed and sculpted by Mr. Seo only.

mgaguilar

@Atokensis

JESUS, WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN. PNSO's rendition is beautiful. I almost had to doubletake because I thought it was a Papo due to the detail level.

Atokensis

Quote from: mgaguilar on April 05, 2018, 05:47:36 AM
@Atokensis

JESUS, WHAT COULD HAVE BEEN. PNSO's rendition is beautiful. I almost had to doubletake because I thought it was a Papo due to the detail level.

Agree, it definitely looks more like a papo figure than the current one. In my opinion papo should've scrapped the Armagasaurus and release a better one (by Mr. Seo of course) down the line. Their 4 new dinosaurs plus Acrocanthosaurus repaint were more than enough for 2018 (for me at least, considering papo use to only release 2-3 models per year and that 3 of the new 2018 models are big).

mgaguilar

You know, from that stock photo, it's looking more and more like the style of the Schleich Dimetrodon. Overemphasized wrinkles and weird un-blended overtexturalization.

Shonisaurus

The amargasaurus of the sadly defunct PNSO company is the amargasaurus that I would want with difference in my collection is the best that has been done. I hope that some company take over from that brand that so little life had and that so many positive expectations generated among those of us who are collectors and among the members of the DTF.

Will Vitae in the future make an equal or better bitterness to that? Time will tell.

terrorchicken

I dont think the Papo amargasaurus would be so bad if theyd just fix the sail. The sail is what makes it look chinasaur-tier to me.

Minmiminime

You're right, that sail doesn't blend naturally, it has basically been just stuck on ::) Oh, how I lament the loss of that PNSO beauty. As for Papo next year, as someone who has a fondness for ornithischians, or that particular grouping wherever they fall, I'd like to see some hadrosaurs with accurate skin, because they were apparently covered in all sorts of peculiar crests, folds, and knobbly cones and if anyone could replicate that, Mr Seo could  ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Reptilia

Quote from: Atokensis on April 05, 2018, 05:05:32 AM
I personally wouldn't mind less figures per year, as long as they're detailed and sculpted by Mr. Seo only.

Me too. For example Acrocanthosaurus, Therizinosaurus and Quetzalcoatlus would make a stellar line-up of their own.

Atokensis

My top 10 wishlist:
10. Lambeosaurus
09. Pentaceratops
08. Camarasaurus
07. Utahraptor
06. Stygimoloch
05. Kentrosaurus
04. Ouranosaurus
03. Suchomimus
02. Mosasaurus
01. Giganotosaurus or Carcharodontosaurus

Prediction line (random guesses):
06. Baryonyx repaint
05. Baby Stegosaurus
04. Gallimimus
03. Chasmosaurus
02. Ouranosaurus
01. Giganotosaurus

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: