News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Collection: A short goodbye (until we meet again) 3/7/23

Started by Bokisaurus, January 12, 2018, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Okay, so back to collection post now ;D

So as you can see, I finally got the new Kaiyodo rex new for 2018. I found one sold in the US so I jump on the opportunity, and lucky for me, it was the brown with stripes, the one I like out of the different versions.
I am not familiar with the Sofubi line at all. From what I have seen, I got the impression that this line was much larger than the standard line of figures.
So I was very surprised when I got the figure, it was much smaller than I thought! ;D

But, it's a beautiful figure, its like if one of those mini Kaiyodo figures blown up! The figure is jam packed with awesome details from head-to-toes, and the paint ap is superb.
I love how the teeth are sharp and preserved the details and not blunted like many figures once they hit the mass production version.
[]
The articulated legs allows you to pose it in a more horizontal or vertical pose. The jaw also gives the option of close or open mouth. I prefer the close mouth, we already have too many roaring exes :))

The articulation, unfortunately, has so much to be desired. I understand the reasons for articulating the jaw, arms, and legs, but the tail?
The tail has two paint of articulation; one at the base and other towards the tip. First, the direction which you can move the tail does not make any sense since you can only move it pretty much from side-to-side, a very unnatural way. It also exposes the areas where it would have connected to, leaving a very ugly piece of plastic sticking out.

The same issues with the neck articulation. You can move the head slightly to the right and you are okay, swing it the other direction, and those visible point to attachment sticks out so bad the the figure looks decapitated! ;D

You may also notice the small circle prominently visible with the jaw attachment, they could have disguised this as as something . It is really distracting from an otherwise beautiful head.

Overall, I think the figure could have been better without the neck and tail articulations, to me it's just too gimmicky with nothing to add to the figure.
Kept in the straight alignment, the figure looks awesome for sure, and I am glad I got it.
Oh, it is plastic, but hollow, but not soft.

One more thing, at first glance, you get the impression that this figure is featherless. But look closely, you will notice some feathering on the neck and down the spine going down the back. Very subtle and easily missed since some of the osteoderms obscure it. So not so naked after all ;)

An since I know how much you guys love comparison shots, here he is with some of my favorite tyrants  ;D As you can see, he is closest in size to the Battat figure.

And the new guy wondering what the group behind him is gossiping about! ;D

Hope you enjoyed this figure, I highly recommend it, and the colors is simply beautiful!
Cheers, and thanks for checking, till next time! ^-^

Shonisaurus

Boki the figure of Tyrannosaurus Kaiyodo with his comments are excellent. It is true that it is an excessively articulated figure which causes the seams to be very noticeable, it is inevitable, that does not mean that the figure is great. Honestly I am not a supporter of one hundred percent of the figures articulated even if they are only the jaws, but in this case as far as I'm concerned I'll make the exception with this figure.

I like it a lot even if it's a rigid plastic, it's something I have assumed to be a Kaiyodo figure, so I'll have it on a low shelf to avoid misfortune. What I like most about this figure are its details of the head and especially its teeth.

I'm glad you already have it in your collection.

Cheers

Nimravus

Thanks Bokisaurus for the comparison photos. :)
They are really useful to know the scale! This new Tyranno looks superb!

ceratopsian

He certainly boasts a very handsome paint scheme. But I don't care for the articulation. And those pins by the jaw leap out, making it look like he is into body piercing!  But that aside, he shouts quality. Lovely photos too!

PhilSauria

Thanks for 'road testing' this one for us, along with the great pix (as always). Seems that the articulation has it's limitations but still, if posed the right way this one is a fine Tyrannosaur. Doesn't look like the various brands are going to stop making this animal any time soon. I have the green one on order from Hobby Link and it looks like it will make a tasty addition to the Tyrannosaur shelf.

Shonisaurus

Obviously if the Tyrannosaurus of Kaiyodo is not articulated, the seams are not noticed. The only thing I will articulate about each of the three versions of Kaiyodo 2018 tyrannosaurus will be the jaw, its teeth are precious.

Bokisaurus

It's been a slow and quite few weeks on this thread, mostly due to the fact that I haven't had much time to photograph my new additions and also been busy with stuff.
But, a packaged arrived from Mini zoo with the 2nd wave of CollectA figures! :))
I have to say, this is one of my favorite CollectA releases yet! This group of 2018 is truly a unique and diverse group of animals from CollectA. And the sculpting is really good, I'm really liking this new sculptors work. :))
Okay, lets dive right into the figures shall we? ;)

First up, the mighty Ceratosaurus at 1:40 scale. Very impressive! I love this figure and it's great to finally get a good ceratosaurus toy figure. I really love the colors, very unique and it really stands out from the rest of the carnivore group.
Good job on the articulation of the jaw

Next, the resurrected iconic Brontosaurus! Like others have already stated, this guy is jam packed with details from head to the tip of the tail! It's really a beautiful and elegant looking figure. I love the take on the spines that turns into a double row towards the hips, very unique. This is my favorite sauropod from CollectA to date. My only complaint is that it's small! Wish it was bigger, but it scale nicely with t he other standard size figures from them.
Nice job on the neck, unlike the super razor thin neck of the diplodocus

As you can see, it really is a nice companion for the Mapusaurus from this year.

Next, another classic, the Dimetrodon at 1:20 scale. It's great to see a different take on this animal. I really love the many subtle imperfections on this, it really adds a different layer and story to it. I also like the take on this spines and well as the more upright stance. I actually like the colors, I know it's not for everyone, but it works for me, it makes it stand out from the sea of dimetrodon with so many similar colors.
[]

Next, the truly odd Estemmebosuchus! Wow, I'm really impressed with this beauty! :)) I'm surprised by how big it is ( 1:20 scale), which is nice. Those ornamentation is well done, as well as the teeth. The eyes, a simple black, but somehow it looks very alive! So happy with this guy, a nd it's about time we got a fabulous figure of this odd animal!
I don't mind the colors, it a bit bland, but it works well. Easy enough to repaint if one choses to.
[]

Now we have the lone prehistoric mammal, the Gomphother. Great job on this one, those ToyFair photos really did this group a big injustice.
I Love this guy, much more detailed and beautiful than all the promo photos I have seen. So far, this is the best prehistoric elephant from CollectA, I do hope that they will continue to make more in the future.
[
Wait for my review of this figure, hopefully soon :))

And I also got a couple of extant animals, also from the 2018 lineup.
The musk ox and the African civil. Both figures are nicely sculpted, very beautiful and rich in details. I like this musk ox better than the Safari version.
[

Well, there you  have it, the 2nd wave from this years CollectA series. CollectA just continue to improve year after year, and continues to produce amazing and unique species. I can't wait for the last wave, the one with the Rex :))
Hope you enjoyed this post, till next time, cheers!
[]

Shonisaurus

Thanks as always Bokisaurus for your photos look much better than I expected each of the dinosaur figures.

The ceratosaurus was always one of my favorite from Collecta this year and it looks awesome. The color red gives him a lot of personality and the only thing that sincerely spoils the figure are his war paintings. Regardless, it is one of the best theropods made by this company. It is a very cool theropod dinosaur.

The dimetrodon is spectacular I like with his injuries or war mutilations based on paleoartistic works of painters very well finished and that will make a perfect match with his counterpart of Safari to give an example.

Estemmenosuchus is another of my favorite figures and it looks even better than in the photos of the exhibition and the promotional photos. It is immense and I like it so much with the mouth open as closed is the estemmenosuchus that I had always liked to have a company of PVC dinosaur toys. It is for me the samurai reptile for its bony protuberances on the head. It is a awesome creature.

The gomphotherium on my part I have reconciled with him is much better than I expected and sincerely the photos of the exhibition of Toyfair and even more of the promotional did not do justice to that strange proboscide is much better than previous versions of toy and as You say one of the best prehistoric elephants made by Collecta. You Boki say that the best but for me the best is undoubtedly the deinotherium of the year 2013.

The positive of Collecta that year after year are improving like the old wine.

I am very glad that you have these beauties in your Boki shelves are fabulous.

The musk ox and the African civet are very well finished and I recognize that Collecta is a leading company in making mammals and animals, which fortunately are still among us and I hope for a long time (hope is never lost). We hope that the sixth maximum extinction will be stopped.

Jose S.M.

Great shots. I thought I would pass on the Ceratosaurus because is too big, but it looks so nice! I'm changing my mind.

Roselaar

They look awesome! I love the Estemmenosuchus, definitely on top of my list! :)

Nimravus

Thanks for sharing the pictures Boki, they are great as usual. This Collecta's second wave looked promising, but from what I've seen in your photos they will not disappoint  me. I am still a bit doubtful on the Ceratosaurus, the head colours are pushing me back :(
But the others are amazing. I love the details of the the Gomphotherium, The Bronto and the Estemmenosuchus. I really like this last one a lot! ;D
I am looking forward to adding them to my collection!

stegosauria

Beautiful pictures and beautiful figures. I liked this CollectA Dimetrodon better than Safari's one but never understood why the big majority disliked it so much. It's so active and the colourscheme is really good too. Not striking just different shades of green and brown and it looks really natural. The Safari Dimetrodon just sleepily walks and its colour are quite pale. Not saying it's bad just like this active guy better.

I like the little hair on the Gomphotherium's back but wondering how will it feed itself with such a short trunk? With all these tusks it would need a long trunk too to reach more leaves. And it would make it really vulnerable while drinking if it has to kneel down to it. With the Deinotherium this is my only problem too. The extant elephants don't have such problems because they can 'drink' in a standing position with the help of their long trunks.

I wasn't sure about the Ceratosaurus because it's almost all red but the close shots about its head convinced me. And the colours on its head are not warpaint: he must have been courting a female and these vibrant colours just show he's healty and strong.

About the Estemmenosuchus it's interesting that the horns looks like a little like antlers as if they weren't covered by skin. By pictures of its skull I would have covered it with skin (the horns don't seem so different in material from the rest of the skull) and with a little colour on them. But I'm still glad CollectA made such a stange creature and it doesn't look bad.

And the CollectA Brontosaurus looks better than the grey Safari Apatosaurus. While the meandering tail of the Apatosaurus and the way it rises its head look for me a little disturbing and unnatural, the Apatosaurus' pose looks much more natural. Otherwise nice shot about the sauropods!

Thanks Boki for the excelent quality shots! The promo shots didn't show the wonderful details on these figures like your close shots.

PhilSauria

Thanks for the images - best photos I've seen so far of the new range! I have some of these and some are on order - these pics really have me looking forward to the ones that I don't yet have. Have the Mapu so thanks for using it as a comparison with the Cerato (on the way). I'm also not a fan of the paint job on that one, the head really, which I think I'll repaint to match the body more. Love the way that Collecta have sculpted the interlocking teeth on the Estemmenosuchus. CollectA do a nice line of Sauropods and your photo has inspired me to put all of mine together on the shelf, they are spread among the Sauropod herd at the moment. I always feel that when the photos posted on the Forum convince members that a figure they have previously overlooked is worth having then there's a real public service for you.

SBell

Congrats Boki,

I have a couple of those on the way from Australia right now, and they are taking too long (it's been a week...) I too have been waiting for a good Estemmenosuchus--the JP one is alright, but it could use some improvement!

suspsy

Great images, Boki, as always!

Strange how the T. rex has been delayed. Minizoo told me that it should be available sometime next month though.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Ravonium

Nice new haul of CollectAs. The Dimetrodon looks better than it does in the promo photos, the Musk-ox is probably the best figure of the animal made by a major company, and the Civet, for a creature not made by major companies before, is a nice addition to the CollectA line.

Libraraptor

For almost ten years it is repeating itself: You post great pictures of mostly great figures and I would say things like 'Great!' or 'stunning! '
So as I often do after you posted new pictures,  I say  'stunning!'

John

The Ceratosaurus has turned out to be AWESOME!!!!!!!!! Thanks for the pics,Bokisaurus!
I will be sure to pick one up sooner than later. ;D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

bmathison1972

Nice to see the musk ox and civet imaged on a forum. You should walkaround those on ATF as well  ;)

Bokisaurus

Thanks everyone, this group is really fun and a joy to study ;D
If I have more time, I really want to take more compassion shots of these new figures with some older ones, but we shall see, time is so precious these days.
Now I really wish that t rex would hurry up already! :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: