News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Boki's Collection: A short goodbye (until we meet again) 3/7/23

Started by Bokisaurus, January 12, 2018, 09:40:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Haha, I really need to catch up! ^-^
A quick post of what was newly added recently. Well, I finally got the Papo Theri. While on vacation, I stopped by this cool store that has Papo's in stock. They have all the new one except the pterosaurs.
Of the 2018 release that was available, this was the one that really grabbed my attention. I saw the Acro, nice one, but the colors is more subdued that I was hoping for, plus I already have the first version.
The Amarga, well, it's as bad as the stock photos, which is a shame. If it wasn't expensive, selling for $25, I would have gotten it, but not for that price ;D
The iguanodon was okay, nice details, but again expensive and really reminds me of the Aladar character, so It was an easy pass.
So, despite costing me $35 dollars, I purchased this figure. Despite it's flaws, it is simply beautiful in the artistic department. So many details and the paint job is top notch.
[]

And here she is trying to dethrone the reigning queen ;D
[

Both figure are roughly the same size, so they really display nice together. I like them both.
I also got this little guy months ago, just now posting it ;D
When I first saw photos of it, I was not impressed by it. But having seen it in person, I started to like it more.
[

PS
I'm really happy that Papo have moved away from the whole " Rainbow pain gimmick" that they dabbled with. The new style of more naturalistic colors is much ,more appropriate for their quality of figures.
Leave those rainbow stuff to Schleich ;D
Cheers!

Shonisaurus

Boki, I congratulate you on your new acquisitions. Papo therizinosaurus for me is one of my favorite figures on behalf of this company and as I have repeated a number of times is a separate figure of detailed and hyperrealistic, very finished and reminiscent of a resin figure.

The dimorphodon of Papo is not one of my favorite figures since I sincerely prefer other versions of pterosaurs as tupuxuara to give an example. Anyway, I'm glad that you already have among your collectible figures the therizinosaurus is a pretty nice figure. Thanks for the photos Boki.

mgaguilar

I agree, I don't know who started the rainbow paint-style in the Papo line-up, but it was a terrible decision. The colors were complimentary, but overall just a weird palette to apply to dinosaurs.
The Acrocanthosaurus did not look bad, but we saw how much more attractive the sculpt could be with the new color scheme. I really hope they discontinue it on all lines.

Great acquisitions Boki!

Bokisaurus

It's been a while, so here we have another Papo joining the collection!
Despite the interesting pose of this Quetzalcoatlus, I really love this figure! It's super detail and just immaculately produced. My only complaint is that the beak articulation on mine is not so good, it's hard to open the beak!
Anyway, he came in with an Eofauna figure that I will post later.
Cheers!
[
[

And here he is with some of his friends ;)
[

Till the next post, cheers and thanks for looking! ^-^

Shonisaurus

Thank you for the photos B @Bokisaurus  the quetzalcoatlus of Papo is one of my favorite pterosaurs along with the pterosaurs of Collecta and the tupuxuara of the Papo brand among others, and I know I repeat myself. Nice figure of collected pterosaurs, thank you Bokisaurus for sharing these beautiful and artistic photographs.

ceratopsian

PhilSauria

Awesome batch of photos, as always! That Quetz along with Papo's Tupuxuara would have to be some of the most naturalistic Pterosaur figures produced for the mass market. Not a fan of the Dimorphodon so can't see that appearing on my shelves any time soon. But that Quetz was a must have and as shown in your photos makes the other versions really look underdeveloped and simplistic, fine though they are on a number of levels. Mine's still in a box, bought early for my birthday (late Nov) and only taken out prior to then to check it had arrived okay and to snap a few pics - can't wait to have it out on display. Thanks for sharing yours.

Bokisaurus

Slowly dripping some of my new additions from the last few month ^-^
Well, I finally got his guy! And what a beautiful figure, truly impressive in all angles! Of course it's the Eofauna Palaeoloxodon from this year.
For those who like prehistoric mammals, this is definitely a must have and worth the somewhat high price.
[

With the other big guy, the mammoth. Too bad they are not the same scale, but not a big deal.

2018 have proven to be the year of the prehistoric elephants! With Safari and CollectA both also releasing prehistoric pachyderms in their respective 2018 offerings, a great year indeed!
[]
Class of 2018, Cheers! :D

Mackeral

Looking great. Your pictures of the ancient elephant are the best i have seen from this model on the web.
What kind of stone are your using for the base?

Shonisaurus

Honestly, there are three prehistoric elephants from three fabulous dinosaur companies. One is emergent (eofauna), another is a pioneer (Safari) and another veteran (Collecta). Three beautiful prehistoric elephants each better, but honestly the ones I like the most are the palaoeloxodon de Eofauna (one of my favorite prehistoric animals this year) and the mastodon or american mammoth of Safari made by the unmatched Doug Watson.

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PhilSauria

Great pix of some great figures. Pleased to have all of these myself and they look very impressive when lined up on the shelf together, my lineup including the Ambelodon and Deinotherium.

Shonisaurus

To me personally I would like that someday some popular and well-known prehistoric animal company make a moeritherium or a platybelodon are two figures of prehistoric elephants that fascinate me. Personally, I would very much like Collecta, Safari, Favorite, Papo or another company to launch themselves into the mass production of those two prehistoric elephants so rare and so strange in their appearance.

Bokisaurus

Okay, time for another, long overdue post ;D
Today, I rounded up all of my CollectA tyrannosaurus for an overview. To me personally, then CollectA set of tyrannosaurus is the most interesting due to the diversity, as well as the different depiction/representation of this animal.
I find that each figure, there are now a total of 8 Rexes, is like a time capsule that captures in plastic form the various theories as well as life-style of this most famous dinosaur of all.
This to me set the entire CollectA series apart from all others.
As you all know, I'm not the biggest fan of Mr. T, but he came to dominate my collection, something that is  hard to avoid given how popular this species.
That said, I got the latest version of CollectA's Rex a few months back, but waited to post it after I have written my review of it on the blog http://dinotoyblog.com/2018/10/31/feathered-tyrannosaurus-rex-collecta/#more-20725
If you haven't read my review yet, check it out since I pretty much gave an entire rundown of the tyrannosaurus that CollectA has produced in addition to reviewing this last version. So no need to do that all over again.

Anyway, lets's start with the new guy ( or more likely, new girl). Officially called the Roaring (although is was changed in the tag) feathered tyrannosaurus rex. This version represent the whole partial-feathering on adult Rexes.
[

Here she is with her much larger, beefier, predecessor.
[

This latest version is part of the whole feathered tyrannosaurus rex series that was started with the release of the baby one a few years back.
So, as much as I was wishing for a new style and colors, I can understand why CollectA tried to keep this figure's style and colors the same as the others for Continuity and it works perfect.
The entire feathered series all together:
[
It really is striking to see the entire series all together. It really is a very unique set, one that has't been done before by any company. Here we have pretty much the entire life story of Mr. T ^-^

Now, to see all of CollectA's many versions through the years, both the pre-featherd versions and the feathered series. It really is a nice look at the history of one companies take on a single species through the years.
[]

To their credit, CollectA has balanced the over-abundance of Rex figure by also releasing other, less popular and more obscure species of tyrannosaurs. This really make CollectA's tyrannosaurus the most diverse of them all.
On average, there is one member of the tyrannosaur family for each Rex version. Maybe one day, some of these older versions will get an update.
[

Well, there you have it, a quick summary of CollectA's tyrannosaurus ;D
Like I said, if you are curious about this latest version, you can check out my review to see what I have to say about it :))
Till next time (hopefully it will bye the Safari 2018!), thanks for checking, cheers! :D

Shonisaurus

Thank you Boki for publishing these photos of beautiful Tyrannosaurus from Collecta. I really like the Tyrannosaurus of Collecta very much and I do not understand the almost generalized criticism against this figure that seems exceptional and one of the best theropods of Collecta along with the ceratosaurus. It does not seem fair to me.

I am very happy that Collecta has made obscure figures of relatives of the tyrannosaurus rex but I would really like them to be represented in Deluxe size. That is one of my reasons for which I crave figures of bistahieversor, daspletosaurus, alioramus, tarbosaurus or lythronax for putting five examples in a Deluxe size. Sincerely, that genus of theropods of the same tyrannosaurus rex family (not as much as the iconic figure) would be sold like donuts but enough to obtain great benefits Collecta or another dinosaur brand. I do not understand how they do not make more striking figures of those tyrannosaurids.

Bokisaurus

Roselaar

Oh my, those comparison shots with the various CollectaRexes are priceless! I was hesitant to see them producing so many Rexes in such a short time, but now I see the appeal. :)

Bokisaurus

So, I took advantage of Safari's black friday sale and ordered the new 2019 figures with some of the older ones as well.
I am hoping that much later, I will do a whole group photo once I got all of them.
In the meantime, here they are...

Carnotaurus
It's a nice sculpt and I really like the colors on it especially the splash of orange on the face. The only thing that really bothers me is those oversized feet, I just can't get over them. >:(  I know why it was needed, but for me personally, it's something that I really find unappealing, that's why I would rather have a base on a figure, that way the feet are proportional to the rest of the body. The feet looks even bigger in person than in these photos ;D
I am looking forward to see how this compares with the new CollectA one.
[]

Styracosaurs
Nice to see Safari giving their ceratopsians some nice colors for a change. I really like this figure. Unfortunately, the two largest horns are bent on mine as well as the nose horn having a really bad paint chip on the tip of it as you can see >:(
Tis is also the first figure of this species that shows a different arrangement of the frill spikes, I think it's based on the AMNH skull?
[]

Citipati
Another great sculpt. I wish this was released later, it just was so soon after the Anzu for me that it wasn't as exciting, they are so similar 8)
I'm also not liking how big the dot for the nostrils are, it really looks like the figure have two eyes on each side of the face! I will make the dot smaller with some paint touchup later. Also not too crazy about the black outline on the face, another easily fixed w with a small repaint. Also, the underpants on the green part is showing a lot  ???
[]

Prestosuchus
This is my second favorite from this first group. It has it all, great sculpt, nice colors, and uniqueness.
[]

Woolly Rhino
The sole mammal in the group. I personally have mixed feeling about this one. The sculpting of the details is wonderful, but there is just something throwing me off. I think the really big nostrils is just too prominent that for me it overwhelms the figures, all I'm seeing is nostrils ;D
Like the Citipati, I will repaint the nostril to a more subtle color and make it less prominent ( I know the animal had large nose :P)
[]

Later I will post the other figures that I got, today I just wanted the 2019 figures.
Well, there you go, cheers! ^-^

ceratopsian

Shonisaurus

I am happy for you Boki for your new acquisitions. I also acquired Camarasaurus and Tyrannosaurus Rex. I really like your reflections on the new figures but sincerely both the citipati (obscure figure) and the carnotaurus and coelodonta antiquitatis (woolly rhinoceros) are the best figures of prehistoric animals made to date in relation to any brand.

I share with you that perhaps the colors of the shorts of the citipati are not adequate but as everything in life is improvable but it is a much better finished figure than the anzu of last year. If you look at the feathers they are beautifully detailed.

As far as styracosaurus is concerned, I have the same problems that you have when it comes to horns, it's how it's modeled, I do not think it's honestly fabrication error, but in my case it's the best figure of this ceraptoside that I've known although it's equal to many of other companies, sincerely I keep the latest version of Safari this year 2019, his figure is great.

Thanks for showing your photos Bokisaurus are magnificent you are a master in photography as many members of the forum.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: