News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PhilSauria's Paleo Plastic Collection

Started by PhilSauria, January 23, 2018, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PhilSauria

Thanks for the comments, and I wouldn't worry too much Robin, in my experience these things re-surface again before too long so I expect to be able to order that one at some point further down the track.

Gotta keep reminding myself that stuff on the internet is so transitory and if you see something that you want grab it as there is no guarantee that it will hang about for too long. As the old saying goes, "you snooze you lose'.

Halichoeres

Those two new Diplodocus figures are very imposing. Showing "Bigger" next to the Huanghetitan really drove it home. Nice finds!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Jose S.M.

I quite like those and maybe I'll consider getting the small one sometime. They look nice, maybe their feet are a bit large but that's minor.

Bokisaurus

Nice catch and impressive sizes! I recently saw those as well as the mosasaurs, they really are nicely sculpted and I don't remember seeing those sculpts before, so maybe they are original or based on a painting or drawings.
I may end up getting both sauropods and one of the mosasaurs... If I manage to have enough $$$ left after my vacation ;D

PhilSauria

ADDITIONS - DOUBLE POST

I have fallen a little behind with these just lately (life will get in the way) so I'm putting all of these up in one go. Another layby payed off at Mini Zoo and the PNSO collection increases by two.

Really been looking forward to getting my hands on this one and seeing it in front of me it did not disappoint. Thought that I may have to prop it up in some way after reading of its instability but it's been about three weeks and it's still upright. I half expect to come into the room one day and see it on its side, but not yet.

This thing is so naturalistic and life-like!, a trait especially evident when placed among other Ankylosaurids, as in the second image, and it's quite hefty.

I have also increased my Tally of Mattels as well, though not in the same category as the figures from our usual brands they have an appeal and are proving addictive! The Suchomimus is not available here so I had to order that one from overseas, the first and probably not the last time I will have to do this.

I really like this figure and those eyes just seem to be looking right at you.

The Battle Damage Galli is a better sculpt than the first one to appear here so I was pleased to find it, they make a nice group with my AAA Gallimimus (standing on its DIY base, yet another in a long list of figures that needed assistance to stay upright).

Syndicate Bias

Quote from: PhilSauria on August 09, 2019, 08:34:35 AM
ADDITIONS - DOUBLE POST

I have fallen a little behind with these just lately (life will get in the way) so I'm putting all of these up in one go. Another layby payed off at Mini Zoo and the PNSO collection increases by two.

Really been looking forward to getting my hands on this one and seeing it in front of me it did not disappoint. Thought that I may have to prop it up in some way after reading of its instability but it's been about three weeks and it's still upright. I half expect to come into the room one day and see it on its side, but not yet.

This thing is so naturalistic and life-like!, a trait especially evident when placed among other Ankylosaurids, as in the second image, and it's quite hefty.

I have also increased my Tally of Mattels as well, though not in the same category as the figures from our usual brands they have an appeal and are proving addictive! The Suchomimus is not available here so I had to order that one from overseas, the first and probably not the last time I will have to do this.

I really like this figure and those eyes just seem to be looking right at you.

The Battle Damage Galli is a better sculpt than the first one to appear here so I was pleased to find it, they make a nice group with my AAA Gallimimus (standing on its DIY base, yet another in a long list of figures that needed assistance to stay upright).

That second picture of the Giganotosaurus alone is beautifully taken. I'm gonna have to save it to my phone and have it as a wallpaper  :))

ceratopsian

The group photo of ankylosaurs is particularly instructive as an illustration of styles - thank you.

RobinGoodfellow

I don't know about your PNSO Giga but mine isn't so stable on its base.
I used specific glue and fixed it on the base permanently..  :-\

Shonisaurus

Quote from: RobinGoodfellow on August 09, 2019, 10:47:45 AM

I don't know about your PNSO Giga but mine isn't so stable on its base.
I used specific glue and fixed it on the base permanently..  :-\

The sustainability of my PNSO giganotosaurus also suffers from that defect. I usually put it on the shelves attached to the wall to prevent it from falling. I tend to be very careful with all my figures.

PhilSauria

NEW ADDITIONS

Once again just when I had written off the line over here I find a new Mattel figure - in this case the Nasutoceratops, and being majorly interested in Ceratopsians (after sauropods) I was very pleased to get hold of one of these.

Four of the Mattel Ceratopsians now in my possession. We have had the small green Triceratops, I think, but I wasn't interested in that one and I doubt that we'll see the Styracosaurus so this is probably it for me with Ceratopsians...but you never know.

Never thought that I'd get hold of this one but some freelance work came my way so I found myself with the funds to order it - so I did!, and very impressive it is too.

Here it is with one or two other Allosaurus figures that I have.

PROJECTS

Making a base for the Carnegie Giganotosaurus so that it can line up with the other three (Safari, Eofauna and PNSO) in a horizontal stance. Just have to paint it once the clay dries. It is not glued in but stays upright with its feet in the impressions and the rocks supporting the legs.

Also in the process of giving that Apatosaurus figure a makeover. Trimmed off the spines and covered it in primer (looking better already!), leaving the eyes as is 'cause eyes are hard to do. In front of it is the colour scheme that I intend to use, with a couple of tweaks to the Raul Martin original.

I'll post the finished result if I don't mess it up!

Halichoeres

That Allo is definitely the finest W-Dragon piece, and one of the nicest Allosaurus figures available.

I always enjoy your custom bases! And I look forward to the reworked Apatosaurus.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

PhilSauria

ADDITIONS

Payed off another batch of items at Mini Zoo recently and this lot emerged from the box that arrived a week later, more extant animals than extinct this time though the Croc could have a foot in each camp.

The new Mojo Triceratops lined up with the recent Schleich, both brands putting out pretty decent updates of this iconic animal.

Now this is the one that I was really looking forward to getting my hands on! Not only bigger than I expected but much heavier as well - what we have here is one seriously weighty piece of plastic! Lucky it's not up high on display because if it ever fell on you it could do some damage. The prehistoric Rhino herd looking quite respectable with not one but two additions this year, the Safari Missing Link figure now no longer boss Rhino.

(I was going to do a group shot of the Dunk with the other three that I have but I'm currently flu-stricken and as a result energy-depleted, so next time.)

PROJECTS

The Apatosaurus makeover is just about there. I was going to add stripes but my wife reckons it's fine as is, I listen to her advice as she has sold more wildlife art than I ever will!

And speaking of my wife, she found these plastic trays with fold-down wire legs, sold as 'kitchen tidy trays' no doubt to make better use of storage in the pantry but they also work on Dino display shelves! This one allowing a herd of nine Triceratops to hang out on the Ceratopsian shelf and free up some space for more additions below. I like to see daylight between the models, which I still can, rather than having some figures crowd-surfing over other figures in a recreation of some prehistoric mosh-pit!

Recently found this big rubber Dilophosaurus hanging out of a shelf formerly occupied by Mattel figures, and of course thanks to a certain film nine out of ten examples of this species have to have a damned frill - but I bought it anyway as a piece of custom fodder. I have trimmed off as much of the frill as I can, I'll trim it even closer with the craft knife. It can come off entirely but that exposes the plain white plastic underneath and as I have no idea what you'd use to cover that with I'm stuck with leaving the remnants there. (suggestions welcome) This may end up as a failed experiment but we'll see.

suspsy

You should submit some reviews to the Animal Toy Blog.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

Halichoeres

Nice job on the sauropod repaint! I am skeptical anyone can make a presentable figure out of that Dilophosaurus, though...

PhilSauria

That Diloph only cost about $6 or $7 and I thought that it may have potential but it has since been relegated to a storage cupboard in our son's old room as I have decided that there are better uses of my time. Gotta pick your battles, or in this case, customs.

ceratopsian

Really good job on the sauropod makeover.  And those legged trays are an excellent space solution - well found!

Bokisaurus

Nice new additions and group photos.
Good job on repainting that Apatosaurus, I may need to pick up this one.

ZoPteryx

That Apatosaurus is really neat, great repaint on it too!

Fenestra

You could consider to cut off the head of the Dilophosaurus behind the frill.
It will be easier to remove the rest of the frill that way. And then you can glue the clean head back on.
You can fill in any gaps with some Epoxy clay.

PhilSauria

ADDITIONS

Finally got around to adding this one to my PNSO collection. Not overly taken with it at first but the new paint scheme (and my desire to own more PNSOs) had me placing my order at Mini Zoo. Payed off and taken possession of a couple of weeks ago. Wouldn't mind the big vinyl rex now but I fear that boat may have sailed going by the prices on the few ebay listings it turns up in. Really was not a fan at first but it has grown on me, and I'm close to owning nearly all of their large figures, so... one may turn up for the right price.

Now I can stage this iconic confrontation with the very animated PNSO Triceratops.

And with a few other inhabitants of the T-rex shelf of my display.

And here's that Dunkleosteus group shot I was going to add to an earlier post. To my eye the Mojo actually looks the most naturalistic of the bunch.

And this just in...picked it up at a local toy store that has a Schleich section just this morning.  (Couldn't be bothered breaking out my usual backdrop to snap just one critter)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: