News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

PhilSauria's Paleo Plastic Collection

Started by PhilSauria, January 23, 2018, 09:45:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

PhilSauria

ADDITION

Thanks to the generosity of Lanthanotus and Plesiosauria Nessy this was sent my way. They thought that I could use another addition to the sauropod herd, and they were right! It's been a while since I added another older model to the collection, usually only new releases these days as the prices for older items, especially the shipping, is usually too much.

And here it is with the other two giant Carnegie Sauropods from the 80s

CUSTOM:

It is disappointing that we pay a high price for PNSO figures and yet more that a few are plagued by stability issues. The latest one in my case was the Corythosaurus, a superb figure in most respects as far as I'm concerned, apart from the fact that it had trouble standing after a couple of days, and even the hot water treatment did not sort it, well it did for about a day before the leg reverted to its original position and over she went. So I set to and made a base for it to fix the problem, which it has. I have no issue with bases, and have made a similar one for my Battat Tyrannosaurus, which now falls on its face after standing for quite a few years. To my eye bases add to the collector item feel, though I'd have to say my bases add more stability than value there.

ceratopsian

A handsome vintage sauropod - makes a very satisfactory herd.

I agree it's disappointing about the Corythosaurus.  But your base works very well (and I agree with you on bases imparting a collector item feel).  Clearly quite a few of us have issues with this one's stability.  I do think that PNSO (much as I like the firm!) might have predicted that such thin forelegs might cause problems when the model is so heavy.  I think that anyone who has an issue should (politely) report it to PNSO via their Amazon e-mail, just to let them know there is a general problem.  Still, they aren't alone in this - I've never been able to get my Safari Deinonychus to stand unsupported either.

SidB

That Diplodocus sure is a classic  - finally picked up a remarkably clean one at a local thrift shop last year. It's quite the beast, physically massive, a definite keeper.

Halichoeres

That Diplodocus remains an impressive, imposing figure.

And very nice work on the Corythosaurus base!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Lanthanotus

Nice to see the Carnegie Dilpo accompanied by its peers after that long journey :)

And I like the simple and clean look of the base for the Corytho... fits the model very well, Phil.

Bokisaurus

Nice to see you finally completed the classic Carnegie sauropod herd ^-^
Good job on the base, looks nice.

PhilSauria

Thanks to those that commented, though I have seen much better bases from some other members, however I keep trying to improve my efforts. As long as models have stability problems I'll keep breaking out the air-dried clay, sticks and plastic trees!

THIS JUST IN

Thanks to local supplier Sugo Toys stocking (a few) PNSO models and the AfterPay installment plan, some of these are now within my reach. And speaking of stability - this one stood perfectly straight out of the box! That right foot placement seems to have been calculated to fall near to the center of gravity. Don't know if I need to buy any more Tyrannosaur models after this one.

And here it is front row on 'Tyrannosaur Terrace', with support rod. I'm not one to tempt fate here.

suspsy

Quote from: PhilSauria on February 15, 2021, 10:03:45 AM
Thanks to those that commented, though I have seen much better bases from some other members, however I keep trying to improve my efforts. As long as models have stability problems I'll keep breaking out the air-dried clay, sticks and plastic trees!

THIS JUST IN

Thanks to local supplier Sugo Toys stocking (a few) PNSO models and the AfterPay installment plan, some of these are now within my reach. And speaking of stability - this one stood perfectly straight out of the box! That right foot placement seems to have been calculated to fall near to the center of gravity. Don't know if I need to buy any more Tyrannosaur models after this one.

And here it is front row on 'Tyrannosaur Terrace', with support rod. I'm not one to tempt fate here.

Any chance you could do a review of that vintage upright Schleich T. rex?
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

SidB

In an unofficial capacity, echoing avatar_suspsy @suspsy 's official one, I'd like to see a review of that T-rex too, avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria .

Bread

Congratulations on the figures!

It is a shame that their Corythosaurus has such balancing issues. Hopefully PNSO receive some feedback and prevent this in future figures. That base sure helps the Corythosaurus, and it compliments it nicely. Looks great!

Love your Tyrannosaurus display as well.

Shonisaurus

My congratulations on your figures, especially the PNSO tyrannosaurus, that version is perhaps the definitive one of that type of scientific figure. I said, I like that it does not have feathers.

sauroid

your pics of the new PNSO T. rex makes me want to get my own asap. cool collection btw.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Halichoeres

That's a useful comparison image. Didn't know the Grab and Go rex was so large.

PhilSauria

ADDITION (TEMPORARY)

Once again my wife has managed to find a seasonal treat with a paleo theme! Not sure the 'Paleo Diet' list recommends this one.

ADDITIONS

Found this unbranded Carcharodontosaurus a while back, liked the sculpt but wasn't crazy about the paint job but did a minor customising re-paint and it's better.

I am so pleased now that I'd pre-ordered this one and managed to carry out all the the payments before the funds ran out (see below) - it is just magnificent. Time has no meaning once you sit there and look at the work that went into this model. It is now one of the highlights of my collection.

Another large therapod from South America now no longer holds the title of the largest version of this animal on my shelves.

OVER AND OUT

The pandemic has impacted on a lot of lives and businesses around the world, and two weeks ago I joined the statistics in regard to people hit by the impact of COVID on companies, especially those allied to travel and tourism as my employers are, so a downsizing move saw me out of a job two weeks ago.

As far as collecting is concerned; no more dough = no more Dinosaurs. So, last update until who knows when...

RobinGoodfellow

Unfortunately Covid had a strong impact upon all of us.
My work had a five months stop on 2020.
Now the work is slowly resuming and last months were really busy for me.
But the whole situation is far from normal and my Country is experiencing serious problems with the vaccination campaign.
So I don't know how the near future could be..
Stay safe and be careful about yourself and your family.
Kind Regards
:)

Shonisaurus

avatar_PhilSauria @PhilSauria My congratulations on all your new acquisitions. For me the most desired figure of all that you have acquired is without a doubt the giganotosaurus in its two versions of Nanmu. I have the pre-orders already paid in lacitedesnuages.be I hope they receive them, I only need to pay the shipping costs.

With regard to the PNSO dinosaurs, fortunately I have never had with any of the new PNSO figures in this case corythosaurus stability problems, perhaps it is due to the fact that it remains on a very smooth surface on my glass table. I'm sorry that you and many DTF members have problems regarding that great figure, the best of his kind to date.

avatar_RobinGoodfellow @RobinGoodfellow My best wishes for you. It is good news that everything is working out both for you and for many workers around the world. Honestly, each day that passes will be a day less difficult and more hopeful for everything. I am positive and the coronavirus is going to be relegated to diseases like the flu.

ceratopsian

Well found by your wife!

And good additions.

Sorry to hear about your job.  Tough times still to come for sure for many of us.

Halichoeres

Very sorry to hear your job has been affected. I hope we'll soon hear of an improvement in your situation. Wishing you all tbe best.

Bokisaurus

Sorry to hear about your job situation, hang in there and wishing you best of luck.
Glad you were able to get these gems, nice figures. Till we see you again, take care, stay safe and healthy! :)

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: