News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Would you buy a sauropod carcass?

Started by Carnosaur, February 05, 2018, 03:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Carnosaur

CollectA so far has given us 3 dead dinosaur models.
Triceratops, Stegosaurus, and a young Tyrannosaurus.

But who here would love a giant carcass like Apatosaurus? maybe as long as the huge deluxe Triceratops & T.Rex they offered in the past?
Something big enough to add a group of predators and scavengers squabbling over the remains?
I know i would totally buy it. :)

What do you guys think?
Something with a opened up body cavity would be awesome.

Ravonium

Quote from: Carnosaur on February 05, 2018, 03:53:24 PM
But who here would love a giant carcass like Apatosaurus? maybe as long as the huge deluxe Triceratops & T.Rex they offered in the past?

I really think CollectA should make an living Deluxe Sauropod before they make a Deluxe carcass.

This being said, more carcasses in general would be a good addition to both the Standard and Deluxe lines.

Halichoeres

I can see the appeal, but I think it's pretty unlikely I would buy a carcass. Maybe if it were of a really unusual species, but I'm pretty happy with my alive Apatosaurus, Camarasaurus, etc. figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

I would like the two options a live apatosaurus and an apatosaurus corpse. I know that Collecta can make two fabulous versions in both replicas, especially Deluxe.

But I am afraid that they should be in standard versions like brontosaurus for two reasons apatosaurus live in Deluxe version I think it has happened like every sauropod to be history and the reason is for budget reasons of the companies (not for lack of money, but because they do not want to risk selling expensive and large animals), the only surprisingly large recent version made in the toy market so far in Western companies since the Papo brachiosaurus has been the Amargasaurus Safari.

On the other hand a corpse of apatosaurus devoured for example by allosaurus and the size Deluxe would be very expensive and would not be successful in sales even if we bought collectors since unfortunately the smallest of the house with those who send and parents not they would buy them with almost total security gigantic animals that suppose a big loss of money, they occupy considerable space in the houses with the children and then with the years those children would lose all interest for this figure and what was said would be lost money for the buyer (parents who they have a fairly good economic level and can afford to buy such a figure to their children and that would be a large minority) and lost money for the company because these figures not to sell would have to be discontinued as has happened with the giant sauropods of those companies and whose amortization of stock, would be eternally metaphorically speaking.

I do not think that they make Deluxe Collecta versions of the living or dead apatosaurus, it supposes many expenses and it would suppose an out of the ordinary cost. As far as I'm concerned, I had both versions but I see it clearly impossible for the reasons mentioned.

Blade-of-the-Moon

I can make custom ones for anyone interested...

IrritatorRaji

Me, personally, no. But that's just because I like having living dinosaurs, so no skeletons either. But I can see someone who's into dioramas being into it.

suspsy

I'd buy a sauropod corpse from CollectA, but I can't imagine they would ever make one at the Deluxe scale. Way, way, way too big of a financial risk for them. As much I enjoy the current three corpse figures, they're certainly not everybody's cup of tea. My wife thinks they're disgusting. I imagine many mothers in search of dinosaur toys for their children would have a similar reaction.
Untitled by suspsy3, on Flickr

ceratopsian

Personally I would avoid buying one. I bought the CollectA T. Rex corpse because it was so unusual a choice to produce. But otherwise I avoid dead animals and indeed skeletons by and large. I also don't buy predator chomping on still living prey.

postsaurischian

:)  So everybody's different. I see beauty in skeletons. I see no beauty in carcasses. I wouldn't buy any.

Georassic

Wasn't someone on the forum already developing a seismosaurus carcass? I seem to recall seeing that a while back...
And yes, potentially, I'd buy one.

SidB

Well, we all have our moments for sure (I have the T-Rex corpse too), but, by and large, we've moved on from the days of bear-baiting, dog fighting and other gory spectacles.

stargatedalek

I absolutely would, the bigger the better for fitting small animals inside to pick at it. I generally don't buy skeletons, but I think the corpses make for very fun and interactive dioramas.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Roselaar

Jose S.M.

I woundn't get one because of space and priorities, but it's a good idea for diorama lovers if made well, like others have said a fully adult big species is probably not a wise decision because the cost/profit balance, but what about a juvenile? it could be a good companion for, let's say, a new Allosaurus (please some make a new one already!)

Shonisaurus

We need an allosaurus yet I do not think there is any that do justice enough to the toy allosaurus to date.  :)

stoneage

Yes I would, if I liked the way it was done and the price was right

Takama

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 05, 2018, 04:18:56 PM
I can see the appeal, but I think it's pretty unlikely I would buy a carcass. Maybe if it were of a really unusual species, but I'm pretty happy with my alive Apatosaurus, Camarasaurus, etc. figures.

Im sorry, but that would just irritate the heck out of me.    I think that if a carcass is to be made, it should be a species thats commonly done on the market.   This is why i hated the fact that Rebor made there Tenotosaurus Dead, when they clearly had the power to make an exceptional liveing version. (which they have not done, and at this point they never will, because they may not give a Crap about a DTF members wishes)

To each there own though.    :)

Shonisaurus

I give you every reason in relation to Rebor's tenontosaurus. I would have liked a live tenontosaurus instead of a dismembered corpse on the part of Rebor, Takama.

Tenontosaurus is a species that has very little representation in the toy market and a figure very little treated from a serious point of view. Salvo Collecta for my part I do not have any good figure of live tenontosaurus and is a very important figure in the history of paleontology.

That reminds me of the protoceratops for putting another example. But focusing on the main subject Collecta I would like for example a live diplodocus XL and a diplodocus dead XL to avoid as you say the frustration. Anyway I applaud both versions, but as I say if I did Collecta in Deluxe version 1:40 would be something very impossible and at best very difficult as I said.   :(

stargatedalek

A compromise might be just a rib cage with meat on it, so it would still be large enough to make for some very interesting and relatively to scale dioramas/play, but wouldn't break the bank.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: