You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

BrontoScorpio's Recent Acquisitions & finds ( Please Don't Quote Pictures !!! )

Started by BrontoScorpio, March 01, 2018, 02:11:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ceratopsian

BrontoScorpio

BrontoScorpio

The latest addition to my Aus-Ben collection :

Some 'Ceramic' T-rex :

Lovely trio :

BrontoScorpio

Got the new SHINZEN dinosaur sculpturing book :

The book Title : Made of clay! ( 粘土で作る!  ) Creature modeling (  いきもの造形  )  Dinosaur edition ( 恐竜編 ) , by Takeuchi Shinzen ( 竹内しんぜん ).

The models, like this bruised Allosaurus were exhibitted on past  Dino expo's and Galleries.

But, unfortunately, the Resin kits are almost impossible to get.
sadly, I own only two.

But, the book is another thing - so I settle with that for now - As I have done before with SHINZEN's previouis book.

Here are few pages just to get the feeling of it :

BrontoScorpio

Just remembered I said, in the post above,  I own only 2 SHINZEN models.
And realized I did not yey post the 2nd one.
So, Here it is - The 1/35 2009 Tyrannosaurus  :

It was quickly sold out from retail venues, but I was able to snatch one from an online 2nd hand store.
Of course, the moment it listed - people asked to buy it  - but, there was a problem with shipping definition and fees of this seller and they made the mistake of waiting for him to answer -
so, as soon as I spotted the item, I gave my shopping service the order to buy it immediately, with no regard to shipping ...

Next to the 1/40 soft Favorite

BrontoScorpio

Next is the Triceratops from the Kaiyodo resin kit ( 海洋堂 レジンキット ) Gwangi-style ( グワンジ 風 ) Allosaurus VS Triceratops ( アロサウルス VS トリケラトプス ) 
by Shinobu Matsumura ( 松村しのぶ ).

The resin kit named 'THE VALLEY OF 1,000,000 B.C.' which combines Gwanji from the movie "Dinosaur Gwanji" 「恐竜グワンジ」
and Triceratops from "One Million Years of Dinosaurs" 「恐竜100万年」.

Around July 1995, a small number of kits were sold by Kaiyodo as a Matsumura collection series.
A confrontation between an Allosaurus and a Cretaceous ceratopsian would never be possible in real life, but the liveliness of it is wonderful.

The whole kit is very hard to find - and last and only time I saw it - it want for 1,500 USD  :

Allosaurus is about 23 cm in total length, Triceratops is about 1/35 volume It is about 22 cm in total length.
The Kit comes with a base (about 22 cm x about 16.5 cm) made by Mr. Shigeru Yamazaki ( 山崎繁 ).

The Hobby JAPAN Series True World Zoological Magazine (連載 真・世界動物誌)/ WILD RUSH New World Zoology (新・世界動物誌 )
had their 52 eddition of August Titled: THE VALLEY OF 1,000,000 B.C.

Inside it depicts examples from Gwangji vs. Triceratops in 'Dinosaur Gwangji' ( and also a special issue of "Jurassic Park", and many dinosaur figures other than Kaiyodo )

Luckily, As I am not into fiction based dinos - I was only interested in getting the Triceratops Kit - and 'walla' - I spotted one :

I like the massive torso with the Gwangi distinctive spots on the sides :

Built in no time - sanded, cut and assembled :

It holds steady on it's feet :

Even though one of the front legs helds up in the air in mid movements towards it's opponent :

In all, it seems like a rather angry Triceratops - with much attitude ...
I think I'll keep it in the original Resin color for now.

BrontoScorpio

Another rare 1/35 Triceratops I just happen to acquire roughly at the same time :

A new member to my Kaiyodo 'Dinosaur Museum Series' Resin Kits - the 1/35 Triceratops by Araki Kazunari ( 荒木一成 )  :

You can see how all parts are handed together as they used to do 40 years ago :

It was first introduced in the 1984 Kaiyodo Catalog , along other 1/35 kits :

these are the earliest bunch - as you can see in this larger color version of the black&white  picture from the catalog above :

Always as a small figure in the background, this intriguing statue deserves more attention :

Actually it is the only ceratops from the Kaiyodo 'Dinosaur Museum Series' that is made in 1/35 scale.
All other 4 ceratops were later made to  1/20.
In fact, the Kaiyodo early Resin kit wave have had Triceratops in 3 different size scales - 1/20 , 1/35 and 1/100.
This 1/35 I added also in the big picture on the right - from the ARTPLA / Kaiyodo 1986 Catalog :

Having said that - it turns to be the rarest of the ceratops - I could not find any reference of a person owning it, other than on Don Glut's site :

Now it's time for the buildup :
( It seems the tail hangs too low - what makes the right hind leg to need some elavation)

Also the right front leg is held up in the air, as in the middle of striding :

The face is quite expressive - and also I had to make up the front horn myself - based on the examples in the pictures :

Lastly, the two 1/35 Trikes together :

The left 'Gwangi' from the 90's and the right from the 80's - which do you like better ? ...

Totoro

Your photo accounts are so much fun to read, thank you avatar_BrontoScorpio @BrontoScorpio , and congrats on the great additions to your impressive collection!   I love both of the 'new' Triceratops models. I am planning to build the Joe Laudati 1964 World Fair "Uncle Beasley" soon.  That's been sitting in a box for over a year as my wife and I moved twice.   Happy to finally get to it.  My dad took me to that traveling exhibit when I was 5 and so those statues have a special place in my heart.   

Looking forward to your next show & tell!
Old Kaiyodo chocolasaur diorama thread:
https://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/thread/3848

BrontoScorpio

Thanks.
Yes, Buying resin kits and start actually working on it - are two different things - I too happen to find myself in that 'Lazy' position ...
I never heard of Joe Laudati 1964 World Fair "Uncle Beasley" - but I googled it a bit  and saw it relates to some fictionary monsters.

Totoro

He may have also sculpted several monsters, but the Triceratops I'm building is this one: http://www.joelaudati.com/copy-of-amnh-knight-t-rex-sale-page from the Sinclair sponsored 1964 World Fair's Dinoland exhibit: https://vimeo.com/222691364

BrontoScorpio

Of course we know the ' Sinclair sponsored 1964 World Fair's Dinoland exhibit ' items - they are one of my favorites - In fact - I own some .
I just wasn't aware of the ' Joe Laudati' version.

His Triceratops is indeed very impressive - but, I'm not sure as for the extent it resembles the sinclair fair Triceratops.

And you have to admit that even most of his 'real' creatures, as dinosaurs, are basically a 'monster' version of the real thing ...

I also noticed his 'Prehistoric Creatures' Gallery holds many more items than what is available at his 'Model kits for sale' gallery -
That's a shame - because some of them are realy nice.

BrontoScorpio

The latest addition to my Chocolate box collection - T-rex Names SUE - 2005 Dinosaur Expo venue limited Chocolate box.

That box is very special - as having on top the exhibitions' subject model :

Along side the other Dinosaur Expo 2005 limited models  :

BrontoScorpio

Next, is another addition to my  Tokyo National Science Museum 'Dinosaur key holder' ( 恐竜キーホルダー ) collection :

The inscription on the back says :

恐竜キーホルダー                    <dinosaur key holder> ( on the blue card )
アルケオプテリクス                 <Archeopteryx> ( or  アーケオプテリクス )
〈X?X?X?〉                          < ???? >
〈ジュラ紀後期〉                    <Late Jurassic>
〈約1億5000万年前〉              <Approximately 150 million years ago>
〈国立科学博物館〉                 <National Science Museum>
〈東京 上野〉                       <Tokyo Ueno>

Lined up them all :

BrontoScorpio

Yet another figure set not from Kaiyodo :
From 'Strongest King Encyclopedia Series' ( 最強王図鑑シリーズ ) published by Gakken Plus ( 学研プラス )
it is a set of 'Underwater' ( 水中 )  'Strongest King Encyclopedia' ( all together  水中最強王図鑑  )  Real Color ( リアルカラー  ) version Figures :

From up close - each figure comes with a support and a pedestal :

Once assembled - figures are quite remarkable :

All together there are 6 different figures - The strongest carnivore of each period :

- Anomalocaris  ( アノマロカリス )
- Dunkleosteus  ( ダンクルオステウス )
- Elasmosaurus  ( エラスモサウルス )
- Mosasaurus  ( モササウルス )
- Megalodon  ( メガロドン )
- Orca            ( シャチ )

As I do not usually collect creatures later than the K/T - I let go the Megalodon & Orca ...

As you can see in the leaflet included inside each box - The lineup consists of 12 types of figures and 2 special colors :

- 6 real color ( リアルカラー ) types
- 6 transparent ( 透明 ) achromatic luminous ( 無彩色蓄光 ) types that glow in the dark ( 暗闇で光 )
- 2 secret special colors : ( Megalodon Silver 銀 , Anomalocaris Gold 金 )

The hardest to get is the dark-red version Anomalocaris - as the Golden version is the common one  :

Not to be confused with the small cheap 'Choco Egg Kids Series Figures' ( チョコエッグキッズ シリーズ フィギュア ) of the same name :

The figure set is after the Gakken book depicting these creatures :

On the cover :

Inside there are imaginary battles between these great beasts that were lined up against each other :

Such a battle could not have happened :

Nor would these two - or maybe the one on the left did ...

Another two examples from the many dozens of great battles inside the book :

And this book is just one of a series of 11 book set, Published by 'Gakken Plus' and  Author: Nanbakibi ( なんばきび ) .

The complete 'Strongest King Encyclopedia Series' ( 最強王図鑑シリーズ ) :

Synopsis/Overview: 【set content】
1.  animal  ( 動物 )
2.  extinct animal ( 絶滅動物 )
3.  dinosaur ( 恐竜 )
4.  monster ( 妖怪 )
5.  insect ( 昆虫 )
6.  Mythical beast (monster) ( 幻獣(モンスター) )
7.  different species  ( 異種 )
8.  underwater ( 水中 )
9.  different species - King of Darkness Battle ( 異種 闇の王者決定戦編 )
10. mythology ( 神話 )
11. dragon ( ドラゴン )

As you might have noticed - there is also one volume dedicated to dinosaurs :
Strongest King Encyclopedia (  最強王図鑑  ) Dinosaur Edition Figure Collection ( 恐竜編 フィギュアコレクション ) -
But, the figures are of low quantity - as you can see in this picture from the Net - so I gave them a pass :

BrontoScorpio

Got an extremely large ( 6.5 kg, 80 cm ) parcel from Tokyo.
Cardboard boxes within Cardboard box and huge amounts of packing materials -
Had I known it will take such a heavy shipping toll sending this piece - I would probably neglect the whole thing :

At the bottom it was laying there, packed in its cocoon, waiting for me to release it from its Nylon prison and glue back what was broken :

A 60 cm very old large T-rex :

The 1.5 kg behemoth is made of a heavy hard material as Resin with some hints of gypsum or a kind of plaster :

And, as you can see, the result is very scary :

The Hobby Off  ( ホビーオフ ) Hachioji Owada Store, I bought it from, is a super large seller in Japan for retro/Vintage games :

And It listed the item as 'Kaiyodo Tyrannosaurus resin cast-kit assembled' ( 海洋堂 ティラノサウルス レジン キャストキット組立済 ) .

Although I still learn every day - since there is no equal in diversity to Japanese dinosaurs - I do consider myself to be of some knowledge on this matter -
and no matter what,  I could not get myself to point the finger on any identification.

At first, I thought I stumbled accross the phantom ( 幻 ) discontinued ( 化中止 ) Resin prototype for the 1/35th scale T-rex soft vinyl kit by Shinobu Matsumura :
As published in the Hobby Japan ( ホビージャパン ) December 1992 issue :

And on the cover of the Gakken ( 学研 ) "Forefront of Dinosaur Science" 「恐竜学最前線」Vol.2 :

But, some problems arose with standing, weird teeth and overall the artist himself didn't like it

So, only a small number of resin versions were cast out and there was no follow up as a soft vinyl kit.
Hence it ended up being a 'phantom' Tyrannosaurus.

But, as it turned out - the one I purchased is much bigger and of a different model shape.

so, I'm still puzzled with this one - if anyone can help ...

BrontoScorpio

Just recently arrived - A large assorted parcel with many things - most from Germany :

Haven't even counted yet how many different brands are out there :

Details will follow ( To enlarge pictures - you might try 'open in New Tab' and then 'Reload' ... )

Totoro

Love that new T. rex, especially the scale pattern and color!  Looks pretty emaciated from the trip though, hope you fed it!  :D

BrontoScorpio

Yes, Had I known the artist responsible for making it this way - I would definitely have taken this complaint further ...

BrontoScorpio

First and formost in this large consolidated parcel from Germany - My last bunch of 5 east Germany Kleinwelka Dinosaurs :

Naturally, these two are not 'Dinosaurs' - but I just could not resist having them along, with their distinctive 'SKS DDR Saurierpark' look and feel :

They are not the only living Kleinwelka animals - I saw there were more.
Didn't realize at first all are in scale with each other - if so I would have get them all -
That is what happens when you are too concerned about shelf space ...

The only other time I  later saw the elephant - it went for that amount :

And in the Original ebay.de :

Much more than the Dinosaurs :

Or that one -

Even though usually the most expensive, and definitely the rarest, are the Parasaurolophus and the Diplodocus :

Next, is there rare dark version of the Large Kleinwelka Brachiosaurus.
I think this is the only time I saw a dark version of this figure.
in the small number of appearances this item gets to be seen - I only noticed the light brown version :

That about sums it for the Kleinwelka Brachiosaurs - 2 big ones, 3 small ones :

Yes, I know it's an outrage - I now have TWO of these in my possession - The Kleinwelka Parasaurolophus - the rarest in the Kleinwelka lineup :

All in all - the Kleinwelka line reminds me much of the NHM Invicta Dinosaur line - but it is just much rarer and harder to get.

And the new looks of my Kleinwelka shelf :

Libraraptor

Great Kleinwelka haul! Honestly I did not know there were also figures of recent animals. Yeah they definitely have the Invicta feel to them, although I think they are a lot rougher and much less detailed. This is due to the limits of production and technoligy in the German Democratic Republic.

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: