News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

You can support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these and other links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.

Eofauna general discussion

Started by Reptilia, March 05, 2018, 01:08:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

Agreed. I do like a lot of PNSO's output in general, but there are a few things that make me think that between the two, EoFauna is more likely to produce theropod figures I'll really like. Time will tell, I suppose!

Shonisaurus

I too would like a concavenator. For me the only concavenators that I like by far are Carnegie's and Favorite's.

Kaustav Bhattacharyya

My special interests are:

Sauropods -Alamosaurus/Argentinosaurus/ Barosaurus

Theropod- T.rex (updated and if possible based on Scotty specimen)/any large Tyrannosaur/any Dromeosaur

Ornisthicians- Ankylosaurus/Edmontonia/Denversaurus/Bravoceratops/Edmontosaurus annectens (updated)/Tatankaceratops

If they want to start a unique line of prehistoric beast figure I shall suggest it for either Pterosaurs (each with both flying and sitting pose just like their dominant and cryptic Trike) or Prehistoric Crocodilians.

Sim

I hope Eofauna doesn't do Concavenator soon.  Their only theropod so far is an allosauroid, let Eofauna make other types of theropods before making another allosauroid.  I'd particularly like to have a dromaeosaurid, Suchomimus, Herrerasaurus or Saurornithoides from Eofauna.

Quote from: Patrx on December 01, 2020, 05:27:22 PM
Despite the oversaturation of the taxon, I still don't feel like I have a "definitive" plastic Tyrannosaurus. Based on what we've seen so far, a new effort by PNSO is likely to stick with their current style, i.e. no "lips", which puts me in the camp that says, sure, let's see what EoFauna's take on Tyrannosaurus would look like.

avatar_Patrx @Patrx, Eofauna's Giganotosaurus doesn't have lips so wouldn't that make it likely a Tyrannosaurus by them would lack lips too?

Patrx

That's a good point, Sim. Still, other manufacturers have very recently moved in a "lipward" direction with, in particular, theropods, so I feel like it's possible to see EoFauna do the same. PNSO seems comparatively unlikely to do so.

Bread

Quote from: Patrx on December 02, 2020, 10:17:49 PM
That's a good point, Sim. Still, other manufacturers have very recently moved in a "lipward" direction with, in particular, theropods, so I feel like it's possible to see EoFauna do the same. PNSO seems comparatively unlikely to do so.
PNSO's Yangchuanosaurus has lips, and if I do recall their Giganotosaurus does as well?Correct me if I am wrong, but PNSO's whole take on lips is a mystery as well. Never know if they will sculpt them on any newer therapods or not. I honestly do see Eofauna leaning towards the lips category, but remember lips are still up for speculation and not confirmed. Does not bother me if any of their new therapods do not possess lips.

Patrx

More good points! Hmm, you're right to call it a mystery. I had been speculating primarily based on the tyrannosaurid illustrations PNSO has produced — maybe they're adhering specifically to Carr et al., 2017 in that regard, but consider other theropods less-decided?

Another thing I've been wondering about; will EoFauna's future theropods have articulated jaws like their Giganotosaurus? What are others hoping for in that regard? For myself, I'm not too keen on it. In theory, it provides the option to display the animal with its mouth open or closed, but in practice, the options are more like "very open" and "partly open"  ;D

John

#
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bernie Brontosaurus

Thank you for that EoFauna link! Among the figures I requested were Tyrannosaurus rex, Gallimimus, Zuul, Platybelodon, and Deinosuchus!

Bread

Quote from: Patrx on December 02, 2020, 11:54:55 PM
More good points! Hmm, you're right to call it a mystery. I had been speculating primarily based on the tyrannosaurid illustrations PNSO has produced — maybe they're adhering specifically to Carr et al., 2017 in that regard, but consider other theropods less-decided?

Another thing I've been wondering about; will EoFauna's future theropods have articulated jaws like their Giganotosaurus? What are others hoping for in that regard? For myself, I'm not too keen on it. In theory, it provides the option to display the animal with its mouth open or closed, but in practice, the options are more like "very open" and "partly open"  ;D
Zhuchangtyrannus (forgive me if I misspelled this tyrannosaur) is said to be revealed soon. Although this tyrannosaur has been given a teaser of possessing feathers, I still believe it will be partially scaley. So this will really answer questions about PNSO's over representation on their therapod's skins. As well as if they will add lips to this therapod.
Note: sorry to discuss pnso in this thread, moving on, shall we?

My opinion on articulated jaw is complicated but I think most members would agree with some of my desires when it comes to articulated or fixed jaws.
With articulated jaws, I'd like for their to be a decent transition, meaning no huge gaps between the head or jaw and the neck. I don't mind seam lines but some figures have some that make me look away from the model. A substantial or good hinge, one that can be opened and closed smoothly. I do understand that companies can not always stick within budget to maintain quality control with small issues like the articulation of one minor feature, that being the jaw. I love fixed jaws so this may be slightly biased, but I prefer if Eofauna try to lean towards using fixed jaws. Eofauna's Giga had quite a bit of issues/comments about the articulation (from what I have seen/read) so hopefully Eofauna fix this issue for future figures. Up to the company whether or not to have articulation.

John

Quote from: Bread on December 03, 2020, 04:13:11 AM

Zhuchangtyrannus (forgive me if I misspelled this tyrannosaur) is said to be revealed soon. Although this tyrannosaur has been given a teaser of possessing feathers, I still believe it will be partially scaley. So this will really answer questions about PNSO's over representation on their therapod's skins. As well as if they will add lips to this therapod.

My opinion on articulated jaw is complicated but I think most members would agree with some of my desires when it comes to articulated or fixed jaws.
With articulated jaws, I'd like for their to be a decent transition, meaning no huge gaps between the head or jaw and the neck. I don't mind seam lines but some figures have some that make me look away from the model. A substantial or good hinge, one that can be opened and closed smoothly. I do understand that companies can not always stick within budget to maintain quality control with small issues like the articulation of one minor feature, that being the jaw. I love fixed jaws so this may be slightly biased, but I prefer if Eofauna try to lean towards using fixed jaws. Eofauna's Giga had quite a bit of issues/comments about the articulation (from what I have seen/read) so hopefully Eofauna fix this issue for future figures. Up to the company whether or not to have articulation.
Some people must be really wrenching on the jaws of theirs,or throwing it against the wall or something because the jaw on my copy of the Giganotosaurus is fine. :o
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Bread

avatar_John @John I guess it's based on luck whether or not you get one with a jaw articulation issue. For example, I saw Bioniclesaurus' review and his Giga had a few articulation issues, if I recall. I can't imagine someone spending $40 on this figure to only throw it against the wall :o

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: Bread on December 03, 2020, 11:25:33 AM
avatar_John @John I guess it's based on luck whether or not you get one with a jaw articulation issue. For example, I saw Bioniclesaurus' review and his Giga had a few articulation issues, if I recall. I can't imagine someone spending $40 on this figure to only throw it against the wall :o

I just can say, that the overall Quality of EoFauna is superb to me. Again, in Germany they go for +- 24 Euros. The Pricetag of something lets me look at a Figure differently. "You get what you pay for" Is a quite hard thing, when Prices are not around the same for everyone.

When i first saw EoFauna Figures, i wansn't conviced at all. But after holding one in my Hand, i knew they are special to me. Man that Atlasaurus... Never thought i would really like that.
Also, i have zero problems with Warp or issues with the Jaw. I prefer fixed jaws, but to me the EoFauna one is one of the better ones. In normal light everything looks whole. The Best articulated Jaws in my Collection are the 2020 PNSO Spino and Repainted Papo Acrocanthosaurus. These Jaws are really well done to me and do not look toyish at all. And what i got for my money here in Germany is almost out of competition. At least to me.

In the End we have different opinions in this World, which is okay and important i guess. I just try to think if it is really that important to be that nitpicky on stuff. Then i just fokus on the "bad" things on a Figure and forget how good theses modern Figures are.

Also with Reviews: If theres a really strong opinion on a Figure, bad or good, its hard to look at "facts" :)

Bread

I will say, I have thought about purchasing Eofauna's Giga. I feel like I have been criticizing it unfairly, I mean the issue I have with it mainly is the detail and price for it, but I have been considering to purchase it lately. Members on this forum, like you avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs have said that it is better in hand than it is in photos. Again, my issue is the price of it, is it worth the price?

Duna

Quote from: Bread on December 04, 2020, 04:53:31 PM
I will say, I have thought about purchasing Eofauna's Giga. I feel like I have been criticizing it unfairly, I mean the issue I have with it mainly is the detail and price for it, but I have been considering to purchase it lately. Members on this forum, like you avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs have said that it is better in hand than it is in photos. Again, my issue is the price of it, is it worth the price?
For me it's the best giganotosaurus ever. Or at least by the moment. It's accurate, sculpted on a digitalized reconstruction of the skeleton, looks just like an animal that could be alive (maybe it lacks some character as some more monster-y, so it's just like a very normal live animal) and it has a proper long tail. Some don't like that it's quite smooth (it indeed has sculpted scales), but I prefer a smothier skin than looks better than scales that are too big for the scale/size of the dinosaur (very typical of Safari). It stands perfectly on one and a half foot, and if doesn't, with hot water is easily fixed. The only thing it could be better in the figure is the mouth, it's only painted in bright red, and no doubt it would be better with some different shades of pink or red.

SidB

Quote from: Duna on December 04, 2020, 05:20:46 PM
For me it's the best giganotosaurus ever. Or at least by the moment. It's accurate, sculpted on the reconstruction of the skeleton, looks just like an animal that could be alive and it has a proper long tail. Some don't like that it's quite smooth (it indeed has sculpted scales), but I prefer a smothier skin than looks better than scales that are too big for the scale/size of the dinosaur (very typical of Safari). It stands perfectly on one and a half foot, and if doesn't, with hot water is easily fixed. The only thing it could be better in the figure is the mouth, it's only painted in bright red, and no doubt it would be better with some different shades of pink or red.
I agree with this assessment. I have these Giganotosarus': PNSO, Vitae, Carnegie Safari, Safari,  Schleich 1,2,3,4 and Eofauna. The Eofauna one is my favorite.

Halichoeres

EoFauna figures are still a bit hard to get in the States. DeJankins has the Giga for just under $40, but you might be able to get it cheaper overseas--if you combine it with another order you can save on shipping. The Safari figure is a little more than half the price, but much more than half as good, so in that sense you could say it's a better value.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Where I am the Safari Giganotosaurus and Eofauna Giganotosaurus are about the same price...
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Duna

Where I live Safari giga is about 21€ and Eofauna 26€.

Arctinus

Quote from: Bread on December 03, 2020, 04:13:11 AM

These articulated jaws can be a hit or miss. Personally, I'm not really a fan of articulated jaws, though I admit some figures that have them don't bother me that much because the seams aren't that visible and the jaw opens up/closes quite nicely. But it's completely random, even on the same figures. I tested out the jaws on Papo kaprosuchus when I saw them at a local shop - the jaws on some of them could be opened smoothly, while on others I could hardly open them and was afraid I'd break the whole thing.  ??? The jaw on my brown running T-rex can also be a bit stubborn (though the seams luckily aren't noticeable).

I'm yet to find out how the Eofauna giga's jaw will work, since I ordered it at ED a few days ago. Hopefully it won't have stability issues as many of these giga figures seem to have. The Eofauna straight-tusked elephant, for example, also tends to suffer from stability issues. Thankfully, mine stands, but it did topple over a few days ago when I put it next to my laptop as a work buddy and accidentally touched its tusk.  :-\

As for Eofauna figures in general, yes, they do look way better in person than they do in photos.  :D

Disclaimer: links to Ebay and Amazon are affiliate links, so the DinoToyForum may make a commission if you click them.

Amazon ad: